Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #15

I found an arrival and departure check list, printed them, and put them on a clip board. I added to it as needed. For a long time I followed them step-by-step, but rarely look at them anymore. We both do a walk around looking under the coach and above before we leave a site. Two sets of eyes are better than one. (Early on, DH left storage with the cord still plugged in.)

I don't hook up, so can't help there, but as said earlier, I don't think it's necessarily coach specific. DH sets up the outside, and I do the inside. You'll get the hang of things quickly. Enjoy!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #16

Super excited and scared

Watch movie RV. Have fun
hbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #17

Agree. Walk around the campground, speak to your neighbors. When you meet that one that seems knowledgeable, ask for advice. Rv People love helping each other. Some good advice here already.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driveway camp the very first time. Can't over stress this. Run the coach systems and get to know the coach. Make a list of everything you forgot and have to go back into the house to get. For you first trip stay close to home or civilization and bring a car just in case. Again keep a list of everything you forgot.

Have fun and You Tube will be you best friend.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Don't quite agree with this. I see no reason to fill the potable water tank unless boondocking is planned. Probably not much difference in a diesel but if it's a gas rig, the extra weight of that water can be done without. That being said, i do like to keep a few gallons in the tank for washing hands or using the toilet between stops.
I disagree with your disagreement!

We haven't boondocked in 30 years of RVing, but find plenty of time when we need water when we're not hooked up to facilities. We have always run with a full tank in our travel trailer, fifth wheel and now our motor home.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post

We haven't boondocked in 30 years of RVing, but find plenty of time when we need water when we're not hooked up to facilities. We have always run with a full tank in our travel trailer, fifth wheel and now our motor home.
Without trying to sound disagreeable, I disagree with your disagreement. I do the same as Mudfrog, I just keep enough gallons of water for washing hands and for using the toilet. I have a gas engine and I'd rather improve my gas milage without the extra weight.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #21

I turned on the fridge the night before our last trip. Loaded up the fridge in the am we left. Got to the campground and noticed the fridge wasn't as cold as it should be. I forgot to turn on the LP gas. My wife said she noticed the light flashing and told me but apparently I didn't hear her.
Note to self. Remember to turn on LP
Old 08-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
Get a small spray bottle to make a bleach water mixture. Use this to spray water hose connection at campground. Have seen many people use fresh water spigot to rinse black hose. Yuck. Don't cross contaminate your fresh water hose. You also might want to use a small amount of bleach to clean your fresh water tank and rinse well prior to using. Have fun!

Looks like that bottle of bleach water is false comfort.......

"Thank you for asking about the shelf life of Ultra regular CLOROX liquid bleach. When bleach and water are mixed together to create a cleaning or disinfecting solution, the solution is only good for 24 hours. The temperature of the water does not affect the cleaning or disinfecting abilities of the solution."
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriS View Post
Hello, let me introduce myself, my name is Lori S. My family and I bought a 2003 Holiday Rambler last Sunday. My Husband is going to get it registered tomorrow We are either going to go camping Monday evening or Tuesday morning. The problem, is I have NO IDEA how to hook anything up!!! When I googled how to hook up a Holiday Rambler, it showed other rv's but I didn't see a rambler. Are there any important beginner tips for us?
Ps: I don't expect step by step instructions.....I will be using owners manual... Just wondering if any big No No's or must do's.... Thanks in advance 🏕⛺️

Hi Lori! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! You need to find someone local that can give you a "crash course" before you make some embarrassing if not serious mistakes! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post

I agree, we all agree to disagree,,, i think!

Everyone's mileage will vary. We also have about 30 years RVing experience. One difference may be that we aren't full timing it yet. Ours are shorter trips, usually to campgrounds with water and electricity, so it just makes sense not to carry the extra weight in water if we don't have to. We have taken a few long trips as well but even so, have never filled the tank.

We do fill it when we know we're going to be off the grid. And even if we did end up doing an unplanned boondock, there's always going to be some place along the way where we can fill up on the fly.

My initial disagreement was with the statement "Fill the potable tank - Always". I'm sure this is important for many but it's not something everyone has to do.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I agree, we all agree to disagree,,, i think!

Everyone's mileage will vary. We also have about 30 years RVing experience. One difference may be that we aren't full timing it yet. Ours are shorter trips, usually to campgrounds with water and electricity, so it just makes sense not to carry the extra weight in water if we don't have to. We have taken a few long trips as well but even so, have never filled the tank.

We do fill it when we know we're going to be off the grid. And even if we did end up doing an unplanned boondock, there's always going to be some place along the way where we can fill up on the fly.

My initial disagreement was with the statement "Fill the potable tank - Always". I'm sure this is important for many but it's not something everyone has to do.
I'm on the leave home and always travel full side of this disagreement, but could we add this for the benefit of the OP?

Why do we fill or half fill before we leave Home?????

For me, it's very important to know the source of the water I'm putting in the tank, and every drop is filtered as I fill the tanks, every time.

The first time you leave well water in the tanks for too long, you'll understand.

Hope that's helpful

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
I turned on the fridge the night before our last trip. Loaded up the fridge in the am we left. Got to the campground and noticed the fridge wasn't as cold as it should be. I forgot to turn on the LP gas. My wife said she noticed the light flashing and told me but apparently I didn't hear her.
Note to self. Remember to turn on LP
And might I add...to always listen to the wife....
Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #27

Thanks to EVERYONE for all your very helpful advice. We are going to go to Maple Park in Wareham, Ma this afternoon. It is only a short way from home and Hubby will have his car. He had a crash course and is confident in the set up. I will be right behind him with the owners manual in hand...lol
I will be sure to let you all know how we make out!!! Thanks again
LoriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriS View Post
Thanks to EVERYONE for all your very helpful advice. We are going to go to Maple Park in Wareham, Ma this afternoon. It is only a short way from home and Hubby will have his car. He had a crash course and is confident in the set up. I will be right behind him with the owners manual in hand...lol
I will be sure to let you all know how we make out!!! Thanks again
I think setting up will go smoothly.

But i will add, when getting ready to leave the campsite, don't forget to crank down the TV antenna if it was used. Can't tell you how many times i've seen someone pull out of their campsite with the antenna still up.

And something i don't think has been mentioned. Be aware of low hanging obstacles such as tree branches and such. That tall rig will find them much faster than your car.

Ya'll have fun!

Tags
holiday rambler