Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I finally finished the install of my Surge Guard. Although it is the hard wired model, I made it removable in case of problems. I added a plug and receptacle to the unit and then cut the power cord and did the same thing. I now have the ability to remove it from the circuit and plug the power cord back together.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I finally finished the install of my Surge Guard. Although it is the hard wired model, I made it removable in case of problems. I added a plug and receptacle to the unit and then cut the power cord and did the same thing. I now have the ability to remove it from the circuit and plug the power cord back together.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #3

Good move. I did the same thing for both the SurgeGuard and the Autoformer. Most of the time I don't need the autoformer but it can easily and quickly be hooked into the circuit if required.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #4

Good work...I wish now I would have installed my hard wire model as you did, but just glad to have it either way.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I decide to install an Autoformer, where does it go in the circuit? Before or after the Surge Guard?

Old 06-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #6

Place the autoformer after the surgeguard so that the surgeguard will protect everything, including the autoformer.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #7

My set up is a bit different. I have the Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS hardwired.

My power chord is wired into the EMS. On the other side a 50 amp male chord plugs into my freestanding Hughes Autoformer. The Autoformer then plugs into a 50 amp recepticle hardwired to the converter.

With this setup I can simply unplug and remove the Autoformer and plug the EMS directly to the converter. I have done this only once when I had to send my Autoformer to Hughes for repair.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghamblen:
Good move. I did the same thing for both the SurgeGuard and the Autoformer. Most of the time I don't need the autoformer but it can easily and quickly be hooked into the circuit if required. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't know in advance that you are not going to need the AutoFormer as it protects you from low voltage before it gets too bad while the SurgeGuard only shuts you down when the voltage has gone past where the AutoFormer will have already kicked in. I monitored mine at home when I first got it and even though all looked fine when I first plugged it in, it automatically kicked in several times a day to deal with voltage events that did not trigger the SurgeGuard. If you wait for the SurgeGuards voltage trigger to shut you down before pugging in the AutoFormer you probably will have had multiple power events that will over the long term reduce the lifespan of your AC and other electical equipment.

Always plug in the AutoFormer just like you always carry Fire and Loss Insurance that way you will always be protected from the many unnoticed events that will occur.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #9

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Always use your surge guard , I forgot to use mine and it cost me to have my sat system to be replaced.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
I'm following this discussion, and currently have no protection beyond factory, and wondering, what is the advantage in hardwiring the surge protector?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not want to use a portable and tempt someone to "borrow" it. I also read somewhere that the hard wired was a better built unit. The power cord on my Coach is hardwired in the electrical bay so just putting a portable unit in the electrical bay was not an option. I went with the hard wired model and made it removal if needed.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #12

Typically, the non-hardwired EMS is plugged into the campsite power outlet. The coach power chord is then plugged into the other end of the EMS. Unfortunately, that invites theft.

I have an Autofomer that I wanted to keep locked in my electrical compartment. So, the hardwired EMS worked perfectly.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Went to Tweety's, and found a SurgeGuard 50A portable with a boot-like locking device, securing the device pigtail to the MH shoreline. Apparently a thief would need to cut the cord, probably enough of a deterrent. I'm seriously thinking of getting this one. Any thoughts?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally, I'd install an autoformer before investing in a surge guard. My thinking is that some autoformers (i.e. Frank's) include surge protection, voltage boosting, and high-voltage/low-voltage cut-offs.

I can't argue with the potential benefits of having both an autoformer and a surge protector (or EMS) but like most people, I have to factor in the cost of these add-ons.

Jack