RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Surge Protectors

We've talked about this before, but I have a question. Looks like I will go with Progressive Brand. But I see several models priced from $90 to $400.
I want one that will do the job. I don't need frills. I had one in my favorites on Amazon for about $255. Do I really need to spend that much for protection. I'm open for suggestions on a Progressive model.
Thanks again my friends.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Well - do you want protection or simply detection? Personally I cannot move as fast as electricity so I have purchased the units from Progressive that provide automatic detection and protection. These are the full EMS units, and were available in HardWired units, and I see now the portable EMS-PTs come with all the features.

This reverence sheet from Progressive may help with your decision. The newer? EMS-PTs are not indicated that they have UL or CSA certification - I imagine that process is in the works and the units are built to the standards, just have not received the certification as of yet....

PS - I found RVUpgrades to be most competitive on prices when I was looking.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Larry, don't let the price scare you off! You definitely need the EMS series which protects you against everything!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Replacing a few expensive electronics will cost more than a top of the line Progressive Industries product.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You want the more expensive full EMS unit. The basic includes just surge protection. The full EMS adds qualifies the power before gating through to the RV - high/low voltage and frequency, pedistal wired correctly, missing ground, etc. Also includes a time delay before power is gated through - this for those damaging situations where the power goes off/on in rapid succession.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Replacing a few expensive electronics will cost more than a top of the line Progressive Industries product.

Fred
X2. Just replacing one circuit board in one appliance, or one tv set will cost you more than the Progressive EMS.
This is ONE mod that is a necissity, and one place you do not want to "cheap out" on.
Have a hard wired unit and it has saved me 1/2 dozen times over the last 5 years from low voltage and bad pedestal problems.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #7

One other point. The Progressive warranty is real. Had a portable ems unit fail and it was replaced with the current model not the older one i purchased. Proof of purchase ,an explanation of what happened, and some photos is all it took. They stand behind their products.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #8

I liked mine so much that I went to Progessive personally and picked it up and they matched an online price. They told me I'd I had any problems with installation to call them and if I couldn't get it to bring the coach and they would do the wiring connections.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #9

I have the full Progressive protection, hard wired in my coach and I consider the cost to be minor insurance compared to the cost of fixing the damage that may be caused especially when campground power systems are known to have faults. It has saved me once so far.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Their support is just great, they have walked me through the check process to make sure there was nothing wrong with the unit. Then helped me solve the problem.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
Commercial Member

This may help https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
Old 11-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

Ok, thanks. I'm with you on protecting the coach and how much it would be to fix/replace. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't spending more money than needed to.
Another question. My coach is 30amp. I'm thinking you can NOT do this, could I use a 50amp surge protector on my 30 amp coach, and if I move up to a 50 amp, I could take my surge protector with me. Again, I'm thinking NOT doable, because ( not much electrically inclined ), if I hook up to a 50amp and my coach is 30, the coach would not be protected, sparks flying, frizzle, fratz, fire maybe. The system couldn't handle it, yes, no?
Thanks again. Beer for everyone.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The cheapest ones are surge protection only. The more expensive models provide power checking (polarity) when you plug in, and the best ones do continuous power monitoring for high/low voltage and other faults and auto disconnect/reconnect when needed.

I personally do not believe that surge protect only is even worth buying and I recommend the units that do continuous power monitoring and prevention.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Ok, thanks. I'm with you on protecting the coach and how much it would be to fix/replace. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't spending more money than needed to.
Another question. My coach is 30amp. I'm thinking you can NOT do this, could I use a 50amp surge protector on my 30 amp coach, and if I move up to a 50 amp, I could take my surge protector with me. Again, I'm thinking NOT doable, because ( not much electrically inclined ), if I hook up to a 50amp and my coach is 30, the coach would not be protected, sparks flying, frizzle, fratz, fire maybe. The system couldn't handle it, yes, no?
Thanks again. Beer for everyone.

Yes you can use a 50amp on a 30amp RV. You will need adapters which will make it a nuisance.