Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Suspected Algae in Fuel Tank

Suspect algae in fuel tank. Fuel filters clogging up about every 6000 miles. I filled to full 150 gallon tank. Added 16 oz of Power Service Biokleen (diesel fuel biocide anti-micro bioagent) I drove out 75 gallons and drained 4oz from fuel filter--had light peagreen fuel. Refueled and added another 8oz of product. Have driven another 60 gallons since. Do I refuel now or keep driving? Suggestions?
bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #2

I suggest that you contact the manufacturer and ask them. They will be your most reliable source of information. Then, if it were me, I would carry spare filters, both primary and secondary (if so equipped), an appropriate strap wrench to remove and replace, a gallon or two of diesel fuel to prime the filters, and learn how to change the filters (if I didn't know). A little insurance in case your filters get clogged in an inconvenient location.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carrying spare filters and the tools to change them is a good idea even if you don't have issues.. You never know when some station will sell you bad fuel.

I have had, in my day, two three tanks of bad gasoline that I'm sure of and a few of questionable gasoline.. And all of the 3 I'm sure of were "Brand name" (the not so sure was an "Off brand") One of the bad-gas stations got busted by the law. One I reported and the 3rd.. Well by the time I was sure it was the problem I had forgotten where it was so could not report it (I reported it to the brand, not the authorities because I know that the company is stricter than the law on that brand).

Now that's gasoline, but if a station is selling tainted gas, ... Consider the quality of their Diesel.

Oh, on the off brand... (Which I will not name) I was complementing a young lady on the very professional job she was doing of gassing up her Corvette one day at the Brand Name I trusted the most gas station near my house.. She replied she should knwo how to tod it, she was the manager of the "off brand" (Same one) down the street. I guess you now how much I trust that brand if even the station manager gasses up elsewhere.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Suspect algae in fuel tank. Fuel filters clogging up about every 6000 miles. I filled to full 150 gallon tank. Added 16 oz of Power Service Biokleen (diesel fuel biocide anti-micro bioagent) I drove out 75 gallons and drained 4oz from fuel filter--had light peagreen fuel. Refueled and added another 8oz of product. Have driven another 60 gallons since. Do I refuel now or keep driving? Suggestions?
Have you tried bio bore?

I have used this product in all my diesel engines and it seems to have always worked great. You can get it at West Marine.

Good luck,

Gwarshawsky
gwarshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you have algae in the tank already, there are only two ways to get rid of it, even after adding an algaecide: (1) keep driving and changing primary filters until its all gone or (2) have the tank professionally pumped through a filtering system and returned to the tank. The algaecide (whether Biokleen or Biobar) can kill the algae, but the dead scum is still in the tank until it gets filtered out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

I actually had Black Slim in my previous MH. Used a biocide and it killed it all within 24 hours. Had to chanege my primary filter three times until I had no more problems. I would cut open the filters and check them so it wasn't a guess. That algae is caused by water in the tank so you need to also put a additive to get rid of the water. You shouldn't need anymore biocide because the algae is long dead. I would carry spare primary filters and just keep going. I use Biobar JF in my tank every winter just as a precaution. Make sure you store your MH with a full tank of fuel.

Here is an interesting fact on gasoline and diesel.......I don't care what the brand is because it all comes out of the same local large storage tanks. The only difference between gas station fuel is the additive that they put in it when they fill the truck up if they put anything in it. There is no such thing as a Texaco depot or a Chevron depot or a Flying J depot. It all comes down the same pipeline to the same storage tanks and is pumped into all the different delivery trucks..
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I prefer buying my diesel at truck stops, the busier the better. It may be faulty reasoning, but I feel the greater the turnover in fuel the less likely there will be water or other contaminates in the fuel. I don't know how much diesel the "gas stations" that have a diesel pump sell or how long their fuel has been sitting there absorbing moisture. So far so good.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put in about 20 gallons of Bio-diesel, it's better for the enviornment, helps the engine run better due to it's lubricity. It will most definatly clean the tank and cost alot less.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
I prefer buying my diesel at truck stops, the busier the better. It may be faulty reasoning, but I feel the greater the turnover in fuel the less likely there will be water or other contaminates in the fuel. I don't know how much diesel the "gas stations" that have a diesel pump sell or how long their fuel has been sitting there absorbing moisture. So far so good
Not faulty reasoning at all, Diesel that sits with very little turnover is more likely to get contaminated.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #10

Keep changing filters and cutting the old filter apart

Don't waste your time calling the manufacturer..as they will tell you same thing...drop tank and clean or refuel and refilter until filter stays clean

Why someone comes and make a long post about gassers when the topic is diesel??? Must like his name in lights!!
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If you have algae in the tank already, there are only two ways to get rid of it, even after adding an algaecide: (1) keep driving and changing primary filters until its all gone or (2) have the tank professionally pumped through a filtering system and returned to the tank. The algaecide (whether Biokleen or Biobar) can kill the algae, but the dead scum is still in the tank until it gets filtered out.
This is the way to do it.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post

Why someone comes and make a long post about gassers when the topic is diesel??? Must like his name in lights!!

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Put in about 20 gallons of Bio-diesel, it's better for the enviornment, helps the engine run better due to it's lubricity. It will most definatly clean the tank and cost alot less.
You gotta be very careful doing that. Bio-diesel will definitely clean the tank, fuel lines, etc and where do you think the "stuff" thats cleaned ends up?

Gary's suggestion is the best way to truly fix the problem.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #14

Biodiesel itself may be the problem, never ever would use the stuff, as far as a gas post here-its interesting reading and I have a problem with comments about the post rather than the post itself-lighten up boys.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank