Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Suspension Air Leak -A tip!!

A little give-back. I had an air suspension leak that drove me insane (dual 12v compressor system). Could not find it for nothing. I finally starting looking through bagger automotive type forums. Quickly learned that in-line check valves (like those often found on Viair stainless lines) have a bad habit of failing. When that happens, air can pass back through the compressor and out the air filter(s). The test is an easy one. Remove the filter and put your finger (or a balloon with an appropriate fitting) over the air filter port. If you feel a little air (it probably won't be much) or the balloon fills, bingo! The fix is an appropriate check valve (not those cheesy in-line Viair-like ones).

Bad:

Good:
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm new to the MH seen and I think I might have a similar problem. I have a '08 Monaco Cayman 35' with Cummins 325 ISB that looses air pressure while parked for a 1 hr lunch break. How long should I expect the air to hold pressure?
Mason Dixon
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ours slowly drains out over about 3-4 days just as a note. Others go down a little faster and some a little slower. But it definitely should not go down in just an hour. If it was one or two I would suggest it was the pressure valve at the air bag but yours may be another issue.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Not sure the ins and outs of your system, but if loosing that much air, you should be able to easily find the leak with your ears. I've been running down leaks on our for a while. At first, my ride control valve bodies were leaking like sieves. My system mfr switched to a much better supplier, so I replaced mine with the upgraded valves (at around $350 ea). Big problem cured, but my compressors were still topping off the air tank approx every 12 hrs (110# on/145# off). That's not a big deal, unless it's 3AM. I soapy watered every fitting repeatedly. The final fix was the check valves (I also did a little more efficient replumbing for quicker fill rates, but I digress). I haven't heard my compressor go on (on their own) in over two weeks now. If working on it yourself, do not, do not, do not, use Teflon tape. Slow dry/soft setting pipe dope is the way to go with threaded fittings (Rectorseal 5, for example). Now put on your grubbies and crawl under that beast!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you, I'll be taking it back to the dealer for some other items so I'll have them check the system for leaks.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Air leaks are a pistol to run down. Had 2 rear bags and all 3 level valves replaced a few months ago. 1 of the new front valves from Spartan was bad too. Still waiting on a refund. I backed it in the barn yesterday morning, it's still standing tall.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, suspension