Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2023, 12:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Switch affecting ignition.

I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat that won't turn over after winter storage.

Not only will it not turn over there is no power to the key or anythiing on the dash, except the generator which starts quite easily.

I heard somewhere in my travels that there is a switch somewhere along the basement that will affect the power going to the ignition.

The batteries are good and strong except that when I turn the key nothing happens.

Has anyone heard of this "switch" and where it might be located? I don't want to seem like a fool, but my wigfe says she also heard someone refer to this switch while we were in for service once because our complete 12 volt system was not working, all except the ignition...no lights in the cabin, bathroom, bedroom, etc.

Thank you to all who answer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2023, 01:49 PM   #2

That switch is the battery disconnect switch and on most coaches it is located in the same bay as the chassis batteries. It is usually a round knob type off/on switch.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat that won't turn over after winter storage.

Not only will it not turn over there is no power to the key or anythiing on the dash, except the generator which starts quite easily.

I heard somewhere in my travels that there is a switch somewhere along the basement that will affect the power going to the ignition.

The batteries are good and strong except that when I turn the key nothing happens.

Has anyone heard of this "switch" and where it might be located? I don't want to seem like a fool, but my wigfe says she also heard someone refer to this switch while we were in for service once because our complete 12 volt system was not working, all except the ignition...no lights in the cabin, bathroom, bedroom, etc.

Thank you to all who answer.

So it sounds like you know nothing about this couch. Most if not all have a salesman switch (disconnect) for the house and usually by the door. Most DP have a engine disconnect. How do you know engine batteries are good?
Old 04-01-2023, 04:39 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can download a .pdf of the Owner's Manual from this link:
https://www.monacocoach.com/service-...pairs/#manuals

Once you have the .pdf in you computer, you can search the manual with key word(s) like "battery disconnect", "battery cut-off" etc.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Get out a volt meter and start checking voltage from the battery, past the disconnect switch, and then in the front Drivers side electrical bay where there should be a terminal marked chassis. Need to see where the power stops.

Post back on what you find.

Back ~8-9 years ago had the rig parked getting ready for a trip. It started one day and nothing the next. First thing I checked was the battery disconnect switch, no power going through it. Bypassed it until I could get a new one installed.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:27 PM   #6

You may have the rear start switch in the rear run box. Flip it to driver if it isn’t. The gen should be off the chassis batteries but I’m not sure of that on your coach. Monaco generally has a chassis and a coach battery switch in the rear near the batteries.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
That switch is the battery disconnect switch and on most coaches it is located in the same bay as the chassis batteries. It is usually a round knob type off/on switch.
I looked and there is not a battery disconnect switch in the battery bay.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
So it sounds like you know nothing about this couch. Most if not all have a salesman switch (disconnect) for the house and usually by the door. Most DP have a engine disconnect. How do you know engine batteries are good?
I actually know quite a bit about my MH. I know all about then"salesman's" switch and have determined that it is not the cause.

The batteries are in good condition 13.8 volts.

I have determined that there must be a switch in the rear somewhere so that a mechanic can start/stop the engine from the rear, instead of going into the coach each time and he would not be able to see what happens when it is going through the steps of starting/stopping.

We, my neighbour & I spent a couple of hours going through the wiring iin the dash and discovered that there is power to the ignition switch but when the key is turned the power goes out.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
I actually know quite a bit about my MH. I know all about then"salesman's" switch and have determined that it is not the cause.

The batteries are in good condition 13.8 volts.

I have determined that there must be a switch in the rear somewhere so that a mechanic can start/stop the engine from the rear, instead of going into the coach each time and he would not be able to see what happens when it is going through the steps of starting/stopping.

We, my neighbour & I spent a couple of hours going through the wiring iin the dash and discovered that there is power to the ignition switch but when the key is turned the power goes out.
This behavior is typical of loose or corroded ground wire. Could be a positive side wire as well.
A bad fuse that looks like it is good.

Measure voltage under loaded conditions to find it.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:47 AM   #10
YC1

As mentioned, the light going out when turning the switch indicates the voltage is dropping.

Go back to the batteries. Scrape a nice shiny place for your meter to ground to. Clamp the probe if possible to that shiny place.

Now measure the voltage at the center of the positive post on your starting battery. While measuring that, have someone turn the key.

If the voltage holds up, go to the center of the negative post and see if any voltage shows when doing the same test.

If voltage shows up on the negative post, you have a bad ground.

If your voltage holds up on positive post, work your way past that following the huge wires. Past any cutoff switches nearby.

A sharpened positive probe will make sure you are penetrating any corrosion that may have happened.

Have you tried pushing your emergency start button??? The button that combines the battery banks that is.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #11

Start with basics clean all battery connections , frame grounds. Many Dps have power wire to dash and trans panel with inline fuse .Its usually 10 ga , the inline fuse about 12-18" from chassis battery positive. The problems have been bad fuse or holder, wire crimp at batt loop , corrosion ate wire after crimp. Manual disconnects fail ,easy to test or bypass. Don't discount bad ignition switch. My coach has ignition solenoid in front elect bay ,newer coaches can have a 2-3 ignition relays instead. The solenoid can be bypassed to test. I have a bus of ignition/acc power in that front bay. It's not exactly 100% weather tight conditioned space good but not like it's inside. I think the discharge air of vacuum inducer helps keep mine dehumidified, I'm surprised how well the bare metal/copper has held up in there.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition, switch