Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have never seen a vehicle manufacturer's manual that had different change intervals for synthetic and regular.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Read again. It says full synthetic base oils. Base means that is what they start with. Mobil one is full synthetic.
huh, well what do you suppose Mobil means by this?

Quote:
Synthetic oil vs. conventional oil

Most readers know that synthetic motor oils typically perform better than conventional motor oils in providing protection for your vehicle, but they might know why. What’s the real difference between synthetic and conventional oil? Pretty much everything.

Conventional and synthetic oils begin in the ground. But that’s where the similarities end.

Synthetic oil is not only refined but also distilled, purified and broken down into its basic molecules. This process not only removes more impurities from the crude oil but also enables individual molecules in the oil to be tailored to the demands of modern engines. These customized molecules provide higher levels of protection and performance than conventional oils. But the synthetic base oil is only half the story. The correct blend additives must go into the mix to create the oil.

Our Mobil 1™ brand of advanced full synthetic motor oils has a unique, balanced formulation to keep your engine running like new. So what are the benefits of Mobil 1 synthetic oil? Synthetics typically outperform conventional motor oils in providing more protection for your vehicle.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...nventional-oil

Ohhhh the humanity, we have all been bamboozled...
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
My dad told me something.....Oil doesn't wear out, it gets dirty.......Synthetic oil is going to get just as dirty as conventional.
This is the correct answer.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check the engine owner's manual for how often to change the oil. My manual says one year or 20,000 miles...which ever comes first.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Two comments helped me decide what to do, first the Oil filter only can perform so long. Second the oil gets dirty on a gasser faster that diesel engine. Ended up use high end regular blend oil!

Thank you to everyone that replied.
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #20

Engine oil

My 2009 Ram 3500 DW has 35000 miles on it...It has the 6.7 Cummins engine I change oil and filter every 5000 miles with mobil1 turbo diesel 5w40 truck oil and cummins filter...I'm sure some of you may think I'm throwing a $150.00 away by doing this so often but I want to get 300,000 miles out of this engine...I also change fuel filter every 10,000 miles...Back to oil changes I get the oil changed drive the truck 5 miles check the oil and it is black and no longer transparent...I live in a cold climate and in subzero temperatures the truck starts on cold morning as if were July and 90 degrees...I contribute this to the Mobil 1...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
...I live in a cold climate and in subzero temperatures the truck starts on cold morning as if were July and 90 degrees...I contribute this to the Mobil 1...
Doesn't Dodge/Cummins put an engine preheater on it? Nearly all MHs have them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Doesn't Dodge/Cummins put an engine preheater on it? Nearly all MHs have them.
Yes, it is built into the lift pump, which is located on the lower rear-port side of the engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #23

Do your own test. Change the oil to Mobil 1 or Rotella T6. Every 3K send a sample to Blackstone. Run it until the analysis recommends a change. Then you will know for sure what is best for your engine. My guess is that you will be good until close to 10K.

Get your test kits here:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 03-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #24

Quote:
My 2009 Ram 3500 DW has 35000 miles on it...It has the 6.7 Cummins engine I change oil and filter every 5000 miles with mobil1 turbo diesel 5w40 truck oil and cummins filter...I'm sure some of you may think I'm throwing a $150.00 away by doing this so often but I want to get 300,000 miles out of this engine...I also change fuel filter every 10,000 miles...Back to oil changes I get the oil changed drive the truck 5 miles check the oil and it is black and no longer transparent...I live in a cold climate and in subzero temperatures the truck starts on cold morning as if were July and 90 degrees...I contribute this to the Mobil 1...
FWIW I have a 98 Dodge w/Cummins & it has 232,000 mi & all I use is dino oil,it still runs great,doesn't use much beyween changes & still gets over 20 mpg on the road (empty) & around 13 towing 16,000.
sewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #25

There has got to be something different in syn / dino oils... I have been seeing lots of new autos and motorcycles delivered with Synthetic and the manufacturer specifies Synthetic oils ONLY...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Isn't Mobil1 for gas engines and Mobil Delvac for diesel engines?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
There has got to be something different in syn / dino oils... I have been seeing lots of new autos and motorcycles delivered with Synthetic and the manufacturer specifies Synthetic oils ONLY...
Yes there is something different with new engines coming with synthetic oil "marketing". Notice the oil change interval remains the same.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Yes there is something different with new engines coming with synthetic oil "marketing". Notice the oil change interval remains the same.

Not all, in fact I don't recall hearing of any, my own use an on board oil analysis system that tells you when to change the oil, that could be 5,000 miles, it might be 10,000 miles.

They've been that way nearly 20 years since the system first came out. And yes, they run full synthetic only.