Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

Tag axle shocks question..

Well the shocks I ordered from Mor/Ryde arrived and their just someone's old shocks repainted..end threads are rusty and bunged up..

Am I wrong but aren't shocks supposed to be extended until vehicle weight pushes down on them to compress them ?These shocks extend hard but collapse easily and stay collesped.Just like my 12 year old ones...

My coach is a 1999 F53 w/tag, 37' Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision..
Thanks, Ted O.

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #2

I'm dissapointed that no one on this forum has taken the time to reply to my thread.. Am I the only one that has a tag axle that needs shocks ?

2000 Ford Lightning
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would be sending them back as you just got someones old shocks.

LEN
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I would be sending them back as you just got someones old shocks.

LEN
Thanks for the reply. Mor/Ryde called this morning and said the shocks are no longer made and these were sitting in the warehouse for some time, their sending me 2 more that may be better appearing , but they assured me these were never used..

2000 Ford Lightning
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Only gas pressurized shocks will extend with no load. A regular shock will be stiff to move but will stay at whatever length you put it at.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agree & good luck

Last post is correct on shock extensions.
I took Bilstein gas shocks off and they did want to extend the full length aggressively. The replacement shocks were made by Koni, are oil filled, and did not try to extend although they were very stiff to move. I don't know if Koni makes a replacement shock for you, but they are over and above the average RV shock in performance.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Koni is definitely the best and they would be my first choice is I ever had to replace shocks.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied.. I finally got a good pair of shocks and they did the trick..

2000 Ford Lightning
Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #9

If anyone still has the problem with Mor Ryde tag axle shock availability, I did a trial and error test and came up with the following: Monroe air shocks, their part number MA739 is a direct bolt-in and you can vary the load on the tag axle by the amount of air pressure you apply to them. It appears that 40-45 psi is in my comfort zone in that the tires do not skid during braking and they apply about 300 pounds of lift (150 pounds per shock) to the chassis at that pressure. Should you be carrying extra weight, like a full fuel tank, fresh water, black water, grey water, etc. you can always add 10-20 more psi to the shocks to make up for the extra weight and Rock Auto has them on line, delivered to you for around $75. Pretty good deal I think and an easy fix. After I get back from Quartzsite next February, I will post my results again.
big-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #10

1990 Fleetwood Limited 37J
Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
Thanks to all who replied.. I finally got a good pair of shocks and they did the trick..
They did the trick for 2 trips, now the original problem is back . I'm pretty sure one shock is shot,, Thanks Big Dan, I'll get a set of them , I like the idea of them being adjustable also.. Ted

2000 Ford Lightning
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
On a 2000 37' V-10 National Tropical with tag axle, I removed the original OEM shocks and replace them with Monroe's Gas-Magnum RV shocks. Same Mor Ryde axle I would assume. Anyway, was VERY pleased with their performance and ride. They also were a very reasonable priced alternative to more expensive (and questionable improvement) designer shocks.

You can find the Monroe RV shocks here: Monroe Commercial Vehicle - Solutions From the Industry Leader
LaserMark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
They did the trick for 2 trips, now the original problem is back . I'm pretty sure one shock is shot,, Thanks Big Dan, I'll get a set of them , I like the idea of them being adjustable also.. Ted
Optionally, you can plumb the two shocks individually to adjust side-to-side loading, which in my case was a requirement in that my coach is heavier on the drivers side at all times, regardless of how much liquids I am carrying. Now I can balance it out a little without too much hassle, just adding a little air to the left rear shock. The individual air lines and fittings cost about $15 for the pair. I think that is a good investment if you have an unballanced rig.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserMark4 View Post
On a 2000 37' V-10 National Tropical with tag axle, I removed the original OEM shocks and replace them with Monroe's Gas-Magnum RV shocks. Same Mor Ryde axle I would assume. Anyway, was VERY pleased with their performance and ride. They also were a very reasonable priced alternative to more expensive (and questionable improvement) designer shocks.

You can find the Monroe RV shocks here: Monroe Commercial Vehicle - Solutions From the Industry Leader
No, they are not the same tag axle in that the early ones (1990-1992 or so) require helper springs on the outside of the shocks to pre-load the shocks in order to get the proper balance between the tag axle wheel and the driving wheels, and without these helper springs, the tag axle wheels will skid when you apply the brakes, even on dry asphalt due to not carrying enough load to prevent them from skidding. It also says that the tag axle is not carrying the load it was designed to carry, thus loading the driving wheels with more than they were designed to carry.