Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
cqr

Send a message via AIM to cqr
Tank level sensors

My tank grey & black tank sensors are not reading correctly. Showing near full after I empty tanks. Any suggestions?
cqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ignore them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Ignore them.
Finding out that myself.
TinStarArabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

CQR,
Try back flushing your black tank using a "Flush King" www.flushking.com The sludge in the tank on the sensors is causing the misreading. If you want other tips go to: www.allprowaterflow.com

Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

You didn't say which rig you have .....but if you have the Aladdin system there is a calibration you can do to see if that is the problem.

the URL below will download an '04 Aladdin tank interface module doc with the sensor calibration instructions.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...97653015,d.dGo
bpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with another post: Ignore them. I have had several RVs and none of them seem to do well. I currently have a Winnebago and they are supposed to be based on outside the tank - but still not reliable. Just look at the calendar or come up with a schedule if long term camping. Tank censors are just not there yet in my view.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
The fresh water gauge works well on mine so when it gets down under a quarter tank I figure it is about time to drain the tanks. I don't connect to park water unless filling the tank. I've had four motorhomes and one 5th wheel and never did the black/gray gauges work on any of them.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We are on RV number six. The first four had monitoring systems that did not work. Our last two have been American Coaches with oem Sensa Tank Leveling Monitoring Systems. This system has worked flawlessly on both our coaches.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

I had the same problem on my Sanibel. I changed to Horst probes and it works great now. They were easy to change out.
sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

There's info on the forum to clean the sensors i.e. driving with full tanks to slosh around the sensors, putting cube ice in before driving. Mine are erratic but seem to settle down.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We never had any trouble with our two Dutch Stars but they use external sensors. Having trouble with the Magna now (also external sensors) as the original owner didn't know or care to take care of it. When we first got it the black tank read 25% full when empty, now it takes a while to get there but I'm still getting old "stuff" out. Spent an hour last weekend doing nothing but flushing and draining the tank. Since I think we're not going to be able to go out for a while (DW's liver cancer treatments coming up) I'll get some Rid-X and let it work for a while.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
This method works. It might take a few dumps but it does work. My 14 year old sensors work fine,
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cqr, does your system have any calibration capability?

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It isn't the sensors, it is crudded up tank walls that fool the sensors. Any thing that cleans the tank walls might help.

I have the TrueLevel non-contact system that Winnebago went standard with in 2005 (right after I bought mine of course so I had to add it) and right now my black tank reads full all the time. The gray started reading 2/3 full all the time few months after I installed the system.

I have pressure washed the black tank wall twice and it worked okay for a while then started reading full all the time.
In my years of trying all of the things people recommend I have not found anything that keeps the tank walls clean enough.

Summer before last the rig sat unused next to the house all summer with the gray tank valve open and a hose that drained into a stone filled hole. When we got ready to head south and ran some water, a bunch of dried crud that had been on the side of the tank ran out. Since then (including all last winter) the gray water level has been accurate.

Some people have reported that the Horst Miracle Probes work well. They shield and move the sensors out from the tank walls so the gunk doesn't fool them. However their web site is no longer active so I don't know if they are still in business. "www.horstmiracleprobes.com"

Tags
tank