Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #1

Tankless or tank hot. water heater?

Well, my 15 year old tank hot water heater I think is going. Just took her on a 1500 mile trip and the old hot water heater didn't provide much hot water (not enough for my wife) before going cold. I always drain the tank and flush at the end of every trip and now I'm getting fakes out of it. SO, might be time for a replacement. My wife doesn't want to take "Navy showers" but with the 6 gal tank that's what she has to do. BUT she also doesn't like the quick burst of chilled water if she stops and restarts (or minimizes flow) water when using a tankless. We had a tankless on a previous coach and I think it may not have been adjusted correctly but she didn't like it. Now that I probably have to replace the HWH what is ya'll's experience with either tank or tankless heaters? I assume tankless saves propane but how's the hot water flow?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 09:00 PM   #2

What is the current water heater?
Brand/Model
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Personally, I would stick with a tank heater.

If you have room, you might fit a 10 gallon tank in.

Changing to a on demand heater will be a lot more work with the wiring and plumbing I'm guessing.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What is the current water heater?
Brand/Model
I think it's Suburban 6 gal.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Personally, I would stick with a tank heater.

If you have room, you might fit a 10 gallon tank in.

Changing to a on demand heater will be a lot more work with the wiring and plumbing I'm guessing.
I've been looking at the Furion and that will fit where the existing one is but I think you're right, there will be plumbing mods and controls as well. Flex hose with temp rating is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:15 PM   #6

I replaced our 6 gallon gas only, tank water heater with a tankless Girard.

When at a park with full hook ups it is perfect. We set the temp at 103 and and just turn on the hot valve and never run out of hot water.

But, we only have full hook ups about once a year, unless we are on a big road trip.

SO when boondocking you get the blast of cool water as you stop and start the shower head. I have not found a way to avoid it.

As to how muck LPG it uses, we filled the tank when we bought this RV in 2020 and finally hit the 3/8 line on our last trip a week ago. I couldn't even guess how many trips we take. Most are 1-2 night trips a couple times a month.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
I think it's Suburban 6 gal.
Suburban SW6D -----Gas only roughly $400

Suburban SW6DE.....Gas/Electric roughly $500
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This spring my Atwood 6 gal water heater tank started leaking and we switched to a Girard tankless water heater and love it , works just like home. We don’t boondock very often so it works well for us. If we did boondock a lot the amount of water that is cold before warm water comes out could easily be captured and used for places like the toilet for flushing or refill.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #9

Trailer came with a 12 gallon LPG / electric water heater. Motorhome came with a Girard Products model GSWH-2 tankless on-demand propane water heater with temperature controller on the wall set at 125 F. One issue we notice with the tankless is it will cycle, i.e., go cold, especially when taking a shower. The tankless water heater might use less propane since it is not operating 100% of the time for heat leak.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:35 AM   #10

Tankless water heater in TT - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/tank...-524358-2.html

Don't count everyday, Make everyday count
Grabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:44 PM   #11

I've installed the new Girard tankless, is it perfect no. Is it a light year ahead of the old tank heater yes. The water can be turned up to be very uncomfortably hot, it takes one 8 once glass to get there. Fuel efficiency is a real highlight, I would never own a old tank type again.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #12

"One issue we notice with the tankless is it will cycle, i.e., go cold, especially when taking a shower. "
Camp CA, I don't believe that should happen..Once you have the hot water flowing and don't move the hot/cold control, it should continue to deliver hot water until you run out of propane. If you turn the knob off and then turn back on, or move to the cold position and then back to hot, then yes there will be 8-10 seconds of no hot water. At least that's the way my Girard works.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
"One issue we notice with the tankless is it will cycle, i.e., go cold, especially when taking a shower. "
Camp CA, I don't believe that should happen..Once you have the hot water flowing and don't move the hot/cold control, it should continue to deliver hot water until you run out of propane. If you turn the knob off and then turn back on, or move to the cold position and then back to hot, then yes there will be 8-10 seconds of no hot water. At least that's the way my Girard works.
I checked with my "go to" RV service guy today and he said if we decide to boon dock OR if the water pump is low capacity (3.2 gpm) then there is a likelihood that the tankless will cycle because it may think it is overheating. He suggested that if we wanted to go tankless then upgrade the pump to 5 gpm which means if boon docking we would use more water. If primarily utilizing city water then I don't think that is an issue as long as the water flow is up. I guess there are trade offs for everything we do.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check HW Tank bypass valve position? or If outside faucet/ shower valves are open, but off at handheld button, it will also bypass and mix cold w/ hot leaving HW tank.. Check yours?

Tags
heat, heater, hot water, tank, water, water heater