Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Tech Edge Tank Monitor

Hello Anybody
The fresh, black and grey tank monitors in my '01 Signature don't measure accurately. I'd hoped it was as simple as making sure the "stick on" sensors were "stuck on" but that didn't change the readouts.

At least the sensor end is made by Tech Edge

I've searched for any posts on this topic and haven't found any...can't believe I'm the only one to have had this problem but maybe I am that lucky.

Any help appreciated
RAMBLE0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

We're sorry that it took a problem for you to join us.

Here is a link to over 600 threads about tank sensors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22t...earch=irv2.com
Old 07-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Since it affects all tanks I would suspect a bad ground connection.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

I would give therm a call.

I have the original Larson system in my Vogue and recently contacted them about troubleshooting some issues. I got a quick call back from an engineer, very freandly and helpful people. Especially when I was asking them to support a system that was discontinued long before the current ownership acquired the company.

Gary
Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

Very few OEM systems are “accurate” per se. Crud on the inside of the tank, improper placement, or just cheap stuff will make a difference. I check my black tank level at every flush and gray tank before showering. If any doubt there I simply bleed off some gray water.

If you aren’t happy with yours, you can install a See Level system or simply empty them and add a few gallons at a time and check your sensors and note at what level the lights come on.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback to all. Monaco used what I'd call a fuel gauge in the early 2k years so no lights. The panel covers all three water tanks as well as the propane tank. The propane tank reading is dead on accurate but the water tanks all hover around 1/4 to 1/3 full when empty and maybe jump to full but nothing in between. Since seeing the gray tank back up into the shower I've never let gray or black tanks to get anywhere near full since.

I suspect I was hoping for a magic pill to solve this but see that I need to work my way up from zero. From all I've read this means starting with tank cleaning (read lots on how people have accomplished that) then sensors and so on in a more methodical manner.

Thanks Again for the input and feedback.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

The solution to your problem:
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

Thanks Leo. I'll keep this in mind but replacing the existing would require some serious effort in changing the panel where the current system is located. Monaco used the larger switches plus the gauge. The panel is easily 14"x5". I need to invest the time make sure dirty tank, poor sensor attachment and so forth are not to blame before going down path of a replacement system.

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #9

I'll add a little of what I've learned about these systems in the hopes it could be helpful.

First most of this information came from reading on the Tech Edge web site: https://www.tankedge.com/ And looking up the patents on the original Larson system.

The systems measure the level by sensing the change in capacitance, the sensors use external foil strips, there is nothing inside the tank. The earliest systems (like mine) have only the foil strips and connecting wires at the tank and all electronics are at the control board. The later systems added a "sensor" at the tank. My system has trim pots to adjust the readout of each tank (see picture below).

As far as troubleshooting goes I would encourage you to contact Tech-Edge.

My fresh tanks works well but my black and grey seem to have a short range. If I adjust the grey so it reads full correctly it shows 1/4 when its empty. And I cant get the black sensor adjusted high enough, it reads 3/4 when the tank is full and 1/4 when its empty. I have been busy and haven't had a chance to get back to Tech-Edge with this info but once I do I will update with what I learn.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	210665  
Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

Interesting subject matter. I have a KIB (or KLB) monitor system in my rig. Not 100% accurate, but close enough to keep me out of trouble. After emptying my grey water tank after the last trip, the led showed "empty", but a couple of weeks after parking it, it now shows "full". I opened the drain again, and there was nothing in there (maybe half a bucket), but the reading hasn't changed. Checked all of the connections on the outside of the tank, and pulled the panel off the wall, and nothing appears to be disconnected off the circuit board.

I hate the thought of leaving on a 3-week trip in 2 days, and the only way of knowing when the grey water tank is full is when the bathtub stops draining.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:56 AM   #11

Tankedge

I stumbled on this post looking for further insight on these tankedge sensors.

I retrofitted seelevel on my '08 Monaco back in 2011 or so. Through the years, I ran into countless failed sensors @ over $100 each (but at least solveable)
AND the gray sensor started reading half full when it was empty.

This past January, I traded up to a 2017 Entegra. It came factory with seelevel.
From the git-go, the gray read 50% when it was empty!
I asked Lazydays to fix it on a warrantee call, and they killed both the black and the gray sensors! They sent me a new sensor, and I couldn't get it on in one piece either!
Access to the tanks on this coach is tough, and the sensors install between them!

I just ordered a tankedge system. I like that it can be user calibrated, and I like that it can be installed on the "irregular" ends of the tanks, where it will be accessable.

Wish me luck, and any tips are more than welcome!
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tank