Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Don't blame Ford... Replace the out of round tires with some Michelin or Good-years RV tires and put new shocks on.
What Rick said.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not blaming Ford... not intentionally anyway.
The new tires are in the rear. The Fronts are about two years old or so and those seem to be the problem. They are "Roadmaster" brand. If I can find a tire truing shop I'll do that first. The tires will age before I wear them out so shelling out almost $200 more per tire to go with G/Y or Mich seems to be a waste to me. I'm sure the quality is better, but if I can get the ride to smooth out truing the ones I have, I'll be happy.
jps1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Your throwing good money after a bad product. One of those front tires decides to blow and throws you over in a ditch, who you going to blame?
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1145 View Post
I'm not blaming Ford... not intentionally anyway.
The new tires are in the rear. The Fronts are about two years old or so and those seem to be the problem. They are "Roadmaster" brand. If I can find a tire truing shop I'll do that first. The tires will age before I wear them out so shelling out almost $200 more per tire to go with G/Y or Mich seems to be a waste to me. I'm sure the quality is better, but if I can get the ride to smooth out truing the ones I have, I'll be happy.
I don't think they trim tires anymore, I have had 3 out of 4 class A MH's with Ford frames. For a truck frame made for gas engine with no air ride I feel the F53 gives a very good ride. I would buy the front tires and enjoy your MH.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
jps1145
I to had a rough ride on my 2007, 36 foot Southwind. So far no one has said to try this on the thread.
Have the MH weighed, front axle then back axel. MH should be loaded as for you typical trips.
I have Michelin tires and accessed there web site at www.michelinrvtires.com and looked up the tire pressure required for the load. I had the tires pumped up to 92# and my ride was real rough. I now carry 70# in front, 80# in the rear. It's like a new or different MH. Rides much better & steers much better. Look up the tire manufacure's web site for what you have and see if you need to adjust the pressure.
Good luck.
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #20

If you have out-of-round tires, this will definitely contribute to vibration and steering wheel movement at specific speeds (like 55+).

Tire balancing on larger wheels is tricky, especially 19" and larger wheels. One option is to have it spin-balanced on the coach. This takes out any imbalances on the wheel, hub, etc. including the tire. There are a few shops out there that still do this, and it works.

I have also heard of owners who have had their tires 'trued' (meaning shaved) and it worked for them.

Regarding shocks, I recommend Koni's. I have a customer (yes, I'm a shop owner) who replaced his Bilsteins and called me to tell me that the improvement was significant. He has a F53 chassis.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumann View Post
jps1145
I to had a rough ride on my 2007, 36 foot Southwind. So far no one has said to try this on the thread.
Have the MH weighed, front axle then back axel. MH should be loaded as for you typical trips.
I have Michelin tires and accessed there web site at www.michelinrvtires.com and looked up the tire pressure required for the load. I had the tires pumped up to 92# and my ride was real rough. I now carry 70# in front, 80# in the rear. It's like a new or different MH. Rides much better & steers much better. Look up the tire manufacure's web site for what you have and see if you need to adjust the pressure.
Good luck.
My 36 Bounder takes the exact same pressures.I've had numerous debates with some who don't know any better. I totally agree that is the secret to a good ride

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #22

my motorhome is on the 2000 chassis. have installed 6 new goodyears plus 4 bilstein shocks running 85psi. ride is very comfortable. only thing I would like to change is --they used balancing beads & I would have preferred spin balancing. but like I said, am pleased with ride & handling.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #23

There was a ford service bulletin for this problem in that year !
Have the for dealer look up TSB
Some wheels were made with the centre hole out of round with outer rim and they devised a special set up- to use the wheel studs to centre the wheel
At one time they were replacing wheels under warrenty
Sounds like this could be your problem
FWIW
Don
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bit of an update. I called a tire dealer here locally, that's been in the tire biz for over 30 years, and discribed my problem. He suggested that the tires are seperating. He said they used to true tires but tire quality has improved so much over the years that it is not necessary any longer. He called around and said that he could adjust (replace under warranty) the tire(s) for me.
I'll ask hime to check the rim for the center being out of round (although I don't think this is the problem because this has recently developed).
I'll be bringing the coach to him today.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1145 View Post
Bit of an update. I called a tire dealer here locally, that's been in the tire biz for over 30 years, and discribed my problem. He suggested that the tires are seperating. He said they used to true tires but tire quality has improved so much over the years that it is not necessary any longer. He called around and said that he could adjust (replace under warranty) the tire(s) for me.
I'll ask hime to check the rim for the center being out of round (although I don't think this is the problem because this has recently developed).
I'll be bringing the coach to him today.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Sounds great, hope you get your problem resolved, and do let us know the final outcome, OK

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #26

Regardless of what happens with the tires you should replace the shocks if they are the originals. No OEM Ford shock was ever meant to last 11+ years. We changed out ours in 2003 with about 22,000 miles on the coach. 3 of the 4 had no resistance whatsoever. The 4th one was still leaking fluid.

A year or so Motorhome Magazine did a test with several different brand shocks on the Ford F53 chassis. Of all the shocks they tried they liked Bilsteins the best. They have been installed from the factory since about 2004.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #27

I had the same rough ride on my 99 F53 and also tow an enclosed trailer with the OHV's inside. Plenty of tongue weight. Didn't know it was so bad until we took a trip without the trailer. I put Bilstiens on and it actually got a bit rougher, the shocks were just too stiff. After about 3 months I replaced the Bilstiens with Koni FSD's and made a significant improvement. For me the Koni's were well worth the extra money. But as a previous post stated they will not correct an out of round tire.
Rob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire issue resolved. Both fronts were out of round and the dealer warranteed them! I only paid for mounting and balancing the new tires. Two brand new tires up front and the ride improved quite a bit. It is obvious, though, the shocks are worn. That's next.
The fat Hula dancer on my dash can now rest!