Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
So, basically, you want to go joy riding in an expensive motor home that you expect someone else to buy? Really? Let me know the dealership's name that will allow that, I won't be buying from them.
I would much rather people take them for a test drive than the dealer to bring them to an RV show for 5,000 people to walk through in a weekend.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 02:50 AM   #16

There is a difference between being taken on the road by a would be purchaser and tossing the keys to someone and saying "have a nice time". Someone test driving with an eye towards buying is going to be much more careful than someone that just wants to see "what this baby can do". At least the folks walking through it at a show aren't hopping curbs, abusing brakes, etc. I understand the inherent mileage on motor homes marked new...I bought mine in AZ and it had 3140 miles on it from the factory to the dealer, from that dealer to the dealer I bought it from, 2 shows and about a half dozen "serious" test drives. A " joyride" to me in a motor home is no better than the neighborhood kids taking a car out for a "spin". These motor homes don't need exercise, a diesel can sit for years and suffer no ill effects and any good dealer will go around periodically and run the generator with the A/C running, no "joy ride" necessary. As for 5000 people walking through one at a show, even at Hershey (we live nearby), there aren't that many people at any given time there to line up for a single vehicle. Honestly, what would your reaction be when dealing on a $350,000+ motor home be if the salesman said " Oh, by the way we had a dozen or so folks that weren't interested in buying this motor home just take it out for a spin, we don't think they damaged anything, but, they did have a good time. If they damaged anything, we've hidden it so that it won't be noticeable until, hopefully, the warranty is up...".

A serious buyer, sure. Someone that has no intention of buying from the onset, no way. I had a female co-worker that did the same thing, but, with clothes. If she had a party to go to, she'd go to a classy store, buy a posh frock, leave the tags pinned out of sight wear it, and then return the dress the next day for a refund. She looked at it the same way as this joy ride scheme and scheme is exactly what it is.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #17

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies..

We do intend to purchase from this dealer if they have a suitable coach next spring, the coach I test drove was used (2014 Thor Hurrocane) and we purchased from them.

Maybe I should of had my post as no intention to purchase soon.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies..

We do intend to purchase from this dealer if they have a suitable coach next spring, the coach I test drove was used (2014 Thor Hurrocane) and we purchased from them.

Maybe I should of had my post as no intention to purchase soon.

I thought you had a great question. I think it's big jump to "assume" that you would take this RV for a "joy" ride. I think it would be much better to "assume" that the dealer that is responsible for the RV would make a decision that is in their best interest. This might include encouraging people to go for a test drive even though they have no intention of buying right now. Salesmen have been doing this for years. I had to laugh at all the destruction that could be done on your test drive. ( jump curbs, destroy the brakes, etc.)
I correctly "assumed" in my first response that there would be a reason for your test drive. It could be as simple as wanting to compare the ride of a new MH to your current MH. Nothing wrong with that if the dealer is OK with it. I intend to upgrade to a Class A in the near future. I've never been in a Class A (that's moving). Some of the "better" advice I've seen on this forum is to test drive as many as possible. Obviously, I'll be test driving a lot of MH's that I have no intention of buying. " Let's see what this baby will do!"
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would expect test drives by others, and would not buy if I could not.
Drove a new 15 Discovery, it pulled semi hard to the right. They took that coach to Freightliner and would not sell it to us. Major problem(s).
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #20

I have , & the salesman was aware. About 7 or8 yrs ago before buying my first, I had been doing a lot of research . I read so much on here about how a DP was the only way to go .
I stopped by an RVdealership in south STL & talked to the salesman & he agreed o let me drive a gas & DP to compare , knowing I wasn't buying either . So I drove a early 2000 Tiffan Allegro 36 ft gas & a simialer year fleet wood Bounder 36 ft DP.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test