Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2022, 09:11 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
California does not require any special licensing for anything 40' or under. That's one of the reasons I've stayed with a 40' coach.
To bad. I was hoping you could just "merge" over.

Go for the Class A and get it over with.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
To bad. I was hoping you could just "merge" over.

Go for the Class A and get it over with.
If we move, I'm not too concerned about the licensing. Its just that ANYTHING you do that deals with the government in California, like DMV, is a nightmare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #17

I just posted in another thread about Class B tests that I had recently took both my written and skills tests here in the Great State of Texas. (Born and raised here just in case anyone might be wondering. LOL) I took the written in Brenham Texas and then a few weeks later took the skills at the DPS Office - 2571 N Earl Rudder Fwy, Bryan, TX. I can't say enough about the professionalism of both offices. The lady that gave me my skills test was thorough but told me exactly what was expected and what she would be watching for before we set out.
Some info- Prior to the test they do an equipment check for lights, signals, etc.

She said she wanted to see my head move to check the mirrors, not just eye movement
Make sure at the stop signs you stop at or behind the sign and stripe on the road, then creep forward. (I got dinged on this one as I wound up past the sign about a foot on one stop)
Did several left and right hand turns on city streets.

My tester did have me get on and off the freeway twice and she also took me on a back road that had a center turn lane and had me back up about 100 to 150 ft. staying centered in that turn lane. Overall not difficult.

Oh and if you make it to Texas Don maybe we can have lunch one day. (We will be on the road until maybe November when we come back from this years trip. The balloon fest in Albuquerque is our last stop then back to the Hempstead/Bellville area.)
DutchStarJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:47 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, my two daughters and four grandchildren live 8 miles from me. We've been a very tight family all of our lives. They both have 40' 5th wheels. The pandemic and the continuous barrage of new laws in California, like the elimination of small gas-powered engines, no pork products and outrageous fuel prices is causing many to leave the State.

Both want to move to Texas or Tennessee. They both could sell their homes and almost pay cash for a nicer house in Texas. BUT....both husbands need jobs before they move. We will only go if both move. For us, other than the stress of packing my garage and tools, wouldn't be a huge deal. Maybe I could finally get an RV garage.

California, which has a substantial state income tax is trying again to make you pay taxes on retirement if you earned it in California, even if you move to another state. It just NEVER ends.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:32 PM   #19

Wayne - you caught my attention with this post about looking at restrictions. That looks to be the catch, as on the back it has a restriction code R (when above Class C). So thats it, I need to complete the driving test to clear the restriction.

Quote:
MRoach,
Look the driver license over very carefully and especially any conditions on the back and any restrictions. If everything appears to be correct with no wording indicating learners permit or no restrictions except for eye wear or hearing aids you are good to go.

There is no difference between taking the driving test for a Texas Class A or a Texas Class B. They don't require you to tow a vehicle. Be happy that if you do decide to go to a higher TOAD or add a trailer car hauler the class A will be nice to have.

Check the license carefully...then go for it.

If you call Austin you may not like what they say. No need to call them But be sure you are very comfortable driving a big MH.

Happy trails.
mroach003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, the R restriction is like a learner's permit if the vehicle is not a standard vehicle, like car or other vehicle under 26,001 pounds. A licensed driver for that class, over 21 years of age, needs to be with the driver.

Good catch on your license.

I have an A and S restriction. Last time I went to renew my license the clerk said something to me and I said, "What?" She say my hearing aid and added the S restriction. It means I have to have outside mirrors or wear my hearing aids.

Heck, I do both unless I don't want to listen to DW.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:30 AM   #21

Quote:
MRoach,

There is no difference between taking the driving test for a Texas Class A or a Texas Class B. They don't require you to tow a vehicle. Be happy that if you do decide to go to a higher TOAD or add a trailer car hauler the class A will be nice to have.

Happy trails.
This is not correct. They do make you pull your RV to get a class A license.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post

Yep, friend of mine had to rent a truck and trailer to take his class-A drivers test. You take the test in a vehicle that requires the class.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post

You are correct and my mind was on a motorhome since the original poster stated a DP Class A...sorry about that.

Yes, if you have a truck and are pulling a trailer you will need the appropriate weight limitation for the license you are acquiring.

My MH is 46,660 (GVWR) pounds. (I forgot what the curb weight is but suspect it is 31,660 since towing capacity is 15,000 lbs. or there about.) In the year I acquired my license anything over 26,001 pounds required a Class A, towing or not. Laws change so get a copy of the Texas Driver's Handbook, DL-7 and get the information from there. That is the best source of information. Trust me, the wording has changed since my first CDL, and the last publication of DL-7 was September 2017. I have subsequently changed from CDL to standard Class-A, not driving commercially anymore.

I upgraded from Class B CDL to Class A CDL and used a rental box truck, not even over 26,001 pounds but the requirement was that it had to have air brakes. Things and laws change.

Tags
class a, texas