Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
The costs of a motorhome/RV

This old article was re-posted in my other coach forum
which I follow.

Interesting info the dropping values of our coaches.

Should I buy a new or used RV?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think that all things considered this isn't too far off, save perhaps the comment that gas engines need to be rebuilt at 60k miles. True they take more abuse in an RV, but if properly maintained there is more life in them than that figure.

In my case I chose to buy a 10 year old rig that had a purchase price new like shown on this table and paid $6k less than that figure, so it's pretty close. One would think that certain higher quality rigs than mine might fare a little bit better.

There is no question that nobody makes a profit owning an RV. It's too bad we can't take the depreciation as a tax benefit like businesses do with property/plant/equipment.

Instead it is all about the investment in memories - and those are priceless. I wouldn't trade the ones we've had with our young family. Kids grow up fast - I've got 5 more years with the oldest one before they are out on their own; 8 years total. 8 RV seasons that we will live to the full then think through what the next rig will be.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I too question having to rebuild a gas engine at 50000 to 70000 miles. Modern engines will run (on average) well over 100000 miles with regular maintenance, the same goes for the transmissions. Our HR is over 20 years old and still going strong with 79000 miles on the clock.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That article is obviously quite old - no modern engine should require a rebuild in 60k miles - or even 100k. Even when used in a heavy RV.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
What about taxes

I agree with the concepts of the article, and agree that a well maintained and cared for MH that is 3-7 years old can be a great buy. Gas engine rebuild in the 50,000 mile range?! That is definitely old school, I anticipate that the v-10 in mine, with proper maintenance will give me 100,000 miles easily.

Another cost of ownership overlooked here, if you live in a county and/or city like mine, is taxes! They rival insurance costs here. Of course the county doesn't care how much you paid, they go find the highest published retail value they can and tax on that.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Should have used the chart shown. Just sold a 1998 DP for 1/10 of original purchase price. All systems functional and well maintained, 87K miles. Of course, the Cummins engine will only last another 200-300K miles.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #7

New vs. Used?

If I had the extra discretionary money, NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely new.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

times have changed, technology has changed, and so have motorhomes. In the early 2000, owning a 10yr+ old motorhome meant having an RV that was somewhat prehistoric compared to the current models of the day. The 2000s day substantial improvements to engines vs. late 80s-early 90s. Generally speaking, if you had 90-100k on an older 454 or 460, it was tired (less so with smaller Class Cs, but definitely the case with 34+ ft Class As). Different story with engines like the V10 though. Since the 2000s, engines have anywhere from 50% or more longevity compared to their older counterparts. They also make upwards of 50% more power too.

Also, the changes in overall design were huge between 1990 and even the mid-late 1990s. In 1990, Class Cs were using van bodies that had been around since the 70s. By the mid-later 1990s, different story. Class As went from looking like dust-busters, to pretty much what they look like today, in only a few short years. Look at many 1993 gas Class As vs 97s...you'll see what I mean. But that being said, those drastic year-to-year changes have since tapered off. Which the exception of changes in color schemes, a 96 Coachmen Mirada looks very much like an 03...and a 99 Tioga Class C looks pretty much like an 09...and so on. Technology has leveled off as well. Gas engines seem to have gotten to be about as efficient and powerful as they're going be for a while.

For those reasons, one can own a 10+yr motorhome today, and it not seem like a dinosaur. Because of this, motorhome values have held up a little bit better, and people are more inclined to buy a 10yr+ motorhome, where they might not have 10yrs ago.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We haven't worn out our 2002 DSDP yet. No need to go buying a new one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

All well said.

It's kinda like, if you cant afford the uniform, its tuff ta play the game.
I have, shall we say, a clean uniform. Luck is a good thing.

But everyone can find a rig they can afford. Just gotta find it. And be picky! Lots of fun to be had.

The cost is not something we amortize. We only measure the memories.

Happy trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Age..

Purchased out 2000 HR Endeavor Gas this past Sept...one owner...48K and at $26,500 it was a good bye..cost sheet showed $108,000 new but I imagine a better price was made..

We have V-10s in our work fleet with 200K on them with proper service...

I wish I could afford new ...but not now...my HD's were bought used and do just fine..

I think my 2000 looks as good as many of the new ones..

Bill
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #12

I think one of the biggest things to come about of late was the addition of full body paint. That makes it easy to distinguish older motorhomes. It seems like full body paint came into the "norm" in the early 2000s. Now, you can't hardly buy one that doesn't have full body paint.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I think one of the biggest things to come about of late was the addition of full body paint. That makes it easy to distinguish older motorhomes. It seems like full body paint came into the "norm" in the early 2000s. Now, you can't hardly buy one that doesn't have full body paint.
very true, full paint is the modern trend. Full Body paint is very much still an option on many motorhomes and 5th wheels, but you don't see many non-full paint, because dealers don't seem to stock them. Our friend at the dealer told us they (and most other dealers) usually order models with the full paint option, and leave out other options, rather than the other way around, because the outside is usually what sells people initially. If someone sees 2 rigs with the same price tag, one with $8k of extras, and one with $8k for full paint, they will assume the painted one is more expensive. And that's what sells them. After all, who wants to spend as much or more on options you don't see, only to look "cheaper" when they roll by, right?

Last time I checked, Daybreak, Hurricane, select Bounder models, Storm, Canyon Star and many of the other popular models come in partial paint, with full paint being optional.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #14

curb appeal i believe they call that.
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote