Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
M-119, Tunnel of Trees in MI.

Lori-
If you enjoyed that, there's also Brockway Mountain Drive between Copper and Eagle Harbor up in the Keweenaw in Mi's UP. I would not suggest taking any RV on that, but awesome views from about anywhere on the norther part of that run, maybe the greatest in the state? . 46 south of Copper Harbor pretty interesting drive in a Class A too. That would be similar to the Tunnel of Trees, maybe not quite so dramatic....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #16

Last part of road between Redway and Shelter Cove CA. DW has still not forgiven me for that one. Beautiful camp site was the reward.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #17

Northern Wales, New Zealand. Roads will scare the s$%^ out of you. And yes, they do drive on the wrong side.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hwy 101 thru the Redwoods north of Garberville, CA. Giant redwoods in the curves that are less than 1 foot from the pavement. Thankfully it is a very short stretch of Hwy 101.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #19

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
While not in an RV- can't imagine anyone trying it! The road from Germany into Switzerland going down to the Bodensee (lake Constance) absolutely breathtaking view and the roads are fast, slippery and very narrow, while rounding a blind corner going real slow thank God, a whole heard of cows just standing there! If we would have had brake trouble or not paying attention it would have been a long way down- no guard rails.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the sr35 hood river bridge over the columbia river between oregon and washington is very narrow. it was originally built in 1924.
if i had been unlucky enough to meet a semi coming toward me, i think i would have lost my mirror on the drivers side. the mirrors on my dw's side were extended over the guard rail. she was hollering at me that i was going to scrape the side of the moho. using the mirrors, i was trying to keep 2''-3'' of clearance at 10-15 mph. we didn't meet any trucks and made it over ok. we had a long line of traffic backed up behind us.
if i would have seen a truck coming, i would have stopped.
after that trip, i moved my exhaust extensions in closer to the moho.
hwy. 14 on the washington side of the river was closed because of a rock slide so this was the closest route for us to take.
i will never use that bridge again in a moho. it would be bad enough in a car if you met a truck coming the other way.
the steel grating would make it a no-no for my motorcycle.

Port of Hood River - Hood River Bridge
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have been across a one lane bridge in Tennessee, and it had a sign that said "weight limit 9 tons"
And, it was the road that goes to the RV park. I was concerned about driving over it, but I figured that if many other class A's have gone over it, it must be ok.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the narrowest we've been on in the RV is the Plattsmoth Bridge over the Missouri River between Nebraska and Iowa on NE-66.

Plattsmouth Bridge by Curb Crusher, on Flickr
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty funny stuff... now that we're all safe and sound sitting at our keyboards but not at the time I'm sure.

A couple of months ago in the Black Hills near the top of the Needles the road took us (driving toad) up over a pass that had one lane tunnels cut through parts of the mountains. It was scary in the toad and they had TOUR BUSSES going through it with very little day light anywhere!

Got a chuckle out of the Hana stories. I've taken it several times. The last time DW and I rented a Harley Electroglide and even THAT rig was too heavy to take the turns comfortably!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
M-119, Tunnel of Trees in MI.

Lori-
That would be correct...not enough room to extend your slides.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most on my list involve a "short cut" But in the end I would trade a few $$$ extra in fuel instead of a case of white knuckles.

#1. Route 250 between Dover (Ohio) and Wheeling WV.

#2. Route 144 North of I-80 in Northern PA.

#3. Route 664 north of Hocking Hills Ohio.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #26

25W southbound from Jelico. I 75 was closed over the mountain so thet sent us around the mountain on 25W. (The old route.) NARROWWWW two lanes, many hairpin turns, sheer rock on one side with sheer drop to the river on the other. The semi's had to take turns on the hairpins. Won't do it again.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #27

261 in Utah, pretty normal till you get to the cut, we came down towing the toad. 11% grades, gravel, tight switchbacks, I think it took 45 minutes to go 3 miles. The wife couldn't look and to be truthful I didn't really want to either.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote