Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Regulations and more regulations! They are for the most part a total waste of time and money. Education (Of the proper kind) and holding people 100% responsible for their actions is what is needed. There are so many regulations and laws on the books now in every city, county and state that they can not begin to be inforced, and most law inforcement officers are not aware of them all.

Like someone stated "You can not regulate Stupid", you just have to watch out for them and make sure they are helf responsible for their actions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
I don't see how you can compare these things? Really? Compare healthcare and firearms to jackasses being careless with fireworks? What if there were people sleeping in that motorhome? Or how many wildfires are started when people use fire works during a burn ban? Laws need to be in place to prevent some law abiding citizens from doing idiotic things.
Yes, really. We don't need more laws to "prevent" law abiding citizens from anything, that is not our governments role nor should we let it chip away at any more of our freedoms, nor does it work! People should take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for the consequences of their "idiotic things".
Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #17

If we outlaw fireworks altogether from personal use then should we also outlaw BBQ grills for personal use? Drop a frozen turkey in a turkey fryer and see what happens. Should this be left to the professionals?

If you hold a lit firecracker in your hand and it goes off. Oh well...

We have outlawed drinking while driving yet we still allow people to hang out at a bar till 1 am and then let them get in the car to drive home. Don't see much difference. Deaths from DUI are down but I suspect because driving while intoxicated has become less socially acceptable rather than the laws enacted.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I recall reading a book on some kid playing with firecrackers when I was in school... I suspect I don't have to spell out what happened.

News this week in Detroit is about the adult who bought some kind of firework that went in a mortar, I can't tell you too much about it but the model is, apply enought "Kiss of Death".

He bought a box of 24 (With one launcher) and, I very strongly suspect, did not wait long enough between launches, Just as he touched his match or lighter to the fuse KABOOM.. Call him Stubbs, cause half the fingers on one hand.... History.
(By way of explanation, "aerial" fireworks were just legalized in Mich. This is our first 4th since... so you folks thinking you might be "over regulated" can see what happens when some stuff is "unregulated".)

I saw another story here where a paraplegic (while sitting in his wheel chair?) lit what must have been a fairly potent rocket, then dropped it! The resulting carnage gross enough I'm not going to go into it.

Then there's the 600% increase in injuries to children reported by one of the local hospitals...

But HEY, ain't the increased tourism/business volume here in MI. great? Isn't that how they justified this idiocy?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Prohibition laws, like the one proposed against fireworks earlier in this thread, only do one thing: create a black market. 100% of the time through history, the black markets created by prohibition have had far worse consequences for our society than the prohibited item ever would have.

Where there is demand, there WILL be someone to supply that demand, regardless of the legality of the object in question. Attempting to control demand through legislation is a fools game, as has been evidenced over and over again through history.

Maybe it'll be different this time, but you will not likely affect the demand for fireworks in any meaningful way by making fireworks illegal.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #20

The only thing legal in AZ is in the class of sparklers, yet someone on the next street over from me put on a nice aerial show on the 4th.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The only thing legal in AZ is in the class of sparklers, yet someone on the next street over from me put on a nice aerial show on the 4th.
As explosively dry as AZ normally is, even sparklers could set off a major wildfire (as if we don't have enough burning right now). How did you like that rain we had on the 4th?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #22

There is usually a common "thread" that runs through the legislative process. Pass a new law....problem fixed!! Not!! Just because a NEW law is passed, what has changed? Have the idiots gone away? Have the fireworks become more "supervised"? Have fewer people lost fingers?

The answer to most of these issues is not passing more laws that are either ignored or unenforced, for the most part. The real answer is public education and awareness, just like one of the previous posters referenced re achohol and driving. It just ain't cool to drink and drive anymore for sane folks. Proportionally, the statistics say that there are fewer smokers today than 50 years ago. New anti-smoking laws? No. More cigarette taxes? No. Increased awareness of the long-term health issues is the real answer. And this takes time....sometimes a generation or two.

Years ago, almost everyone I knew smoked to some degree. Today, very few folks I know smoke (maybe the others have all "moved on"!). In any event, IMHO, everytime a new law is passed, we lose a part of our freedom. And the law doesn't really seem to change much else. Just MO.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
As explosively dry as AZ normally is, even sparklers could set off a major wildfire (as if we don't have enough burning right now). How did you like that rain we had on the 4th?
It was nice, but I only got .05". It cooled off so much, that even with a very hight dew point, I was able to run my swamp cooler instead of the AC.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #24

Sad that we have to mandate common sense.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
I don't see how you can compare these things? Really? Compare healthcare and firearms to jackasses being careless with fireworks? What if there were people sleeping in that motorhome? Or how many wildfires are started when people use fire works during a burn ban? Laws need to be in place to prevent some law abiding citizens from doing idiotic things.
All cars should be illegal..

All motorcycles should be illegal...

All RV's should be illegal..

Prohibition should be brought back..

Bows and Crossbows should be illegal..

The right to bare arms should be done away with..

Slingshots should be illegal..

Tasers should be illegal..

Snow mobiles should be illegal..

Private Boats should be illegal..

Cruise ships should be illegal..

Shovels should be illegal..

Axes should be illegal..

Private tractors should be illegal...

All knives should be illegal..

NyQuil should be illegal..

Cell phones should be illegal..

Chain saws should be illegal..

Nail guns should be illegal..

Sand rails should be illegal..

All forks should be illegal..

Wheeled suitcases should be illegal..

Space heaters should be illegal...

Christmas lights should be illegal..
Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
All cars should be illegal..

All motorcycles should be illegal...

All RV's should be illegal..

Prohibition should be brought back..

Bows and Crossbows should be illegal..

The right to bare arms should be done away with..

Slingshots should be illegal..

Tasers should be illegal..

Snow mobiles should be illegal..

Private Boats should be illegal..

Cruise ships should be illegal..

Shovels should be illegal..

Axes should be illegal..

Private tractors should be illegal...

All knives should be illegal..

NyQuil should be illegal..

Cell phones should be illegal..

Chain saws should be illegal..

Nail guns should be illegal..

Sand rails should be illegal..

All forks should be illegal..

Wheeled suitcases should be illegal..
You guys crack me up!
Living in AZ it is bone dry. When u make something illegal (like fireworks) you can hold these jackasses accountable for there stupid ILLEGAL actions. It is a safety issue.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If your actions, legal or not, does harm to someone else or their property, then you ARE held accountable under current law.. Just having another law doesnt work..
Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Oh, and here in Indiana, where most counties are under a burn ban, it is ILLEGAL to stop the firing of fireworks between June 29th and July 9th.. State law
Closed Thread