RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

The right tire pressure?

I hate to be a chair breaker but does anyone have a good recommendation for the right tire pressure for a 27 ft ACE. I am going to install my TPMS today and want some guide lines Thks
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingdoc View Post
I hate to be a chair breaker but does anyone have a good recommendation for the right tire pressure for a 27 ft ACE. I am going to install my TPMS today and want some guide lines Thks
You need to weigh the coach with fully loaded for trip and then go by the manufacture's recommendation for that weight. Then add 10 pounds which will make it ride a little harsher but maximize tire wear.
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Find the manufactures sticker listing tire pressure, if you don't have a scale handy. They are usually somewhere near the drivers area.

Don't go by the number on the tire sidewall, that's probably the max you ever want.

The sticker is what most of the dealers selling them go by, if they even check.

Be carefull with some advice on here. If I added 10 psi to mine for longer lasting tires, I would be over the max pressure on the sidewall.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Search for "tire pressure" in the box at the top and you will get hundreds of threads and thousands of responses, or just scroll thru the Class A forum and see dozens.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

Why would someone find the tire manufacturers recommendation for tire pressure then ignore it and add 10 lbs? Do you know something the people that made the tires don't?
Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

There is a sticker in your RV stating the pressure as determined by your manufacturer which is usually based on the GAWR for your unit. Use these numbers. Then if you feel the ride is too harsh then 1) compare your numbers to what the TIRE manufacturer says in their chart for your GAWR’s. The pressures may be different and are the minimum required to support the weight. Don’t go below those numbers if you feel the need to adjust the pressures. 2) If the ride is still too harsh, go get your unit weighed at least at an axle level and then repeat step one above using the weights from the scales.

Be cognizant of what you try to bring along so as not to overload, and try to maintain a balance from left to right for heavy stuff.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Why would someone find the tire manufacturers recommendation for tire pressure then ignore it and add 10 lbs? Do you know something the people that made the tires don't?
Yeah, that's terrible advice. My B+ max out at 80psi...sticker says 61psi loaded.
There's always a trade off between tire wear and comfort. For me the chalk test
got me where I want to be...64psi

Chalk Test, YMMV
Find bank parking lot on a Sunday. Front tires get a line of chalk across the tread.
Drive in straight line for 100' or more if possible. Check for worn off chalk marks.
Center over inflated, edges under inflated. We've done this for years with all our
vehicles. Proper rotation and you'll be surprised with the tread life you'll get.
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Find the manufactures sticker listing tire pressure, if you don't have a scale handy. They are usually somewhere near the drivers area.

Be carefull with some advice on here. If I added 10 psi to mine for longer lasting tires, I would be over the max pressure on the sidewall.
If you are running right up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall you are either over loading your coach or running inadequate load range tires. You should have a sizeable margin between what the manufacturer recommends for the weight and the max pressure on the sidewall.
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
If you are running right up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall you are either over loading your coach or running inadequate load range tires. You should have a sizeable margin between what the manufacturer recommends for the weight and the max pressure on the sidewall.
I am running the max pressure on the sidewall.

Gulfstream recommends 80 psi and that's what's on the sidewall.

I don't see a problem.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Don't go by the number on the tire sidewall, that's probably the max you ever want.

The sticker is what most of the dealers selling them go by, if they even check.

Inflating 10 lbs over ideal will make the ride harsh, and you may exceed the tire limits. As far as tire wear. I have never seen an RV tire replaced because the tread wore out. It's always because they have aged out.