Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
I’m not familiar with the 3way switch method.
On the Kisae front panel you will see a black square area on the right side. This panel removes and can be remotely installed. It is connected via an rj11 telephone type cable ( supplied) I mounted mine above the fridge. It displays the battery voltage and the inverter status. Ie.. on shore or battery. The 2 black membrane buttons at the top control off-on and switch between shore and battery - I think. I never touch the panel but I’m pretty sure.
Like I’ve said it’s been install and forget. I do look at it occasionally to make sure it’s working.
Before I installed this I ran thru a ton of way to do this. Switches, plugs,etc. I over thought it.
If you want install and forget, this is it.
I was just at my shop/man cave where I keep the motor having some brake work done. I was planning to take pictures but, forgot
I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

After I posted I googled up the Kisae swxfr-1210
The description listed an optional remote display panel. $13
Now that I think about it maybe that’s the way my remote works.
I’ll physically look tomorrow and report back.
Prices vary from $400+ to a little over $300.
Shop around
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #128

Thinking about a residential fridge.

Quote:
After I posted I googled up the Kisae swxfr-1210
The description listed an optional remote display panel. $13
Now that I think about it maybe that’s the way my remote works.
I’ll physically look tomorrow and report back.
Prices vary from $400+ to a little over $300.
Shop around

RETRACTION
I googled up the manual and the display is as I thought. It detaches and can be mounted remotely. RJ12 telephone cable
Maybe my memory is better than I thought
Old 09-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #129

Quote:
RETRACTION
I googled up the manual and the display is as I thought. It detaches and can be mounted remotely. RJ12 telephone cable
Maybe my memory is better than I thought
Well Ron,
I gotta hand it to ya, I was doubting you had all your marbles for a while. But, I had to drop back and punt when, you explained what both myself and, one of the folks at *invertersrus.com* completely overlooked/missed. What I'm getting at is the fact that, in the front end of the inverter itself, and, in the basic description of it in the website, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO mention that there not only IS a remote on it already, but, that there's one for it at all!!!!

IN many, many of the other brand inverters I looked at, there is a *port* for the remote cable that comes from a separate remote that, can be purchased separately. But, for this make and model, you really don't find that it has a remote BUILT IN, 'till you read half way through the user manual, that you have to go to, on line.

This is a BIG winner for me. Not thinking there was a remote for this particular inverter, I thought I was gonna have to engineer the mounting for it so that the WHOLE face of that inverter was gonna fit in a cut-out in the lower paneling below a drawer, below the fridge. Not a big deal but, that was what I was gonna have to do.

Now, with this new information, I'll be able to mount that inverter, concealed, and then simply run the remote up to a more ergonomically placed spot where, you don't have to get down on your knees to operate it. I thank you very much for pointing out something that even the sales folks don't know about.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #130

Ford Super Duty Owner
So .... here's a whole new set of questions from my perspective. We have a 2009 Bounder 35H. Our residential fridge is on the drivers side slide. The former ice maker outlet was not an inverter outlet. We seldom to never dry camp so our need for an inverter seems to be nil. The current inverter is a Magnum MM 1200 watt unit. Since we do not use the inverter system could we tap off an inverter outlet and run that to the fridge area and utilize it that way ? We would only utilize the inverter power when on the road.

Some added info/questions. My inverter is a MSW inverter. How do I determine if I need a MSW or PSW ? How do I determine if the current inverter provides enough power for my fridge ? Not that I expect any of this info will help determine my needs I'll toss it out there just in case it does. It is a Hotpoint 15.6 Cu Ft unit.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #131

Thinking about a residential fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Ron,

I gotta hand it to ya, I was doubting you had all your marbles for a while. But, I had to drop back and punt when, you explained what both myself and, one of the folks at *invertersrus.com* completely overlooked/missed. What I'm getting at is the fact that, in the front end of the inverter itself, and, in the basic description of it in the website, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO mention that there not only IS a remote on it already, but, that there's one for it at all!!!!

IN many, many of the other brand inverters I looked at, there is a *port* for the remote cable that comes from a separate remote that, can be purchased separately. But, for this make and model, you really don't find that it has a remote BUILT IN, 'till you read half way through the user manual, that you have to go to, on line.

This is a BIG winner for me. Not thinking there was a remote for this particular inverter, I thought I was gonna have to engineer the mounting for it so that the WHOLE face of that inverter was gonna fit in a cut-out in the lower paneling below a drawer, below the fridge. Not a big deal but, that was what I was gonna have to do.

Now, with this new information, I'll be able to mount that inverter, concealed, and then simply run the remote up to a more ergonomically placed spot where, you don't have to get down on your knees to operate it. I thank you very much for pointing out something that even the sales folks don't know about.

Scott

A few pictures of my Kaise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	299669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	299670  

Name:	IMG_0509.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	299671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0511.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	299672  

Name:	IMG_0514.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	299673  
Old 09-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
So .... here's a whole new set of questions from my perspective. We have a 2009 Bounder 35H. Our residential fridge is on the drivers side slide. The former ice maker outlet was not an inverter outlet. We seldom to never dry camp so our need for an inverter seems to be nil. The current inverter is a Magnum MM 1200 watt unit. Since we do not use the inverter system could we tap off an inverter outlet and run that to the fridge area and utilize it that way ? We would only utilize the inverter power when on the road.

Some added info/questions. My inverter is a MSW inverter. How do I determine if I need a MSW or PSW ? How do I determine if the current inverter provides enough power for my fridge ? Not that I expect any of this info will help determine my needs I'll toss it out there just in case it does. It is a Hotpoint 15.6 Cu Ft unit.
LSC,
While I'm certainly no expert on electrical advice, far from it, here's some thoughts on your situation.

1. Based on your information and request(s), I'm assuming what you're *potentially* wanting is to be able to run your present Hotpoint residential fridge on the inverter, while your traveling, correct?

2. Well, the first thing you need to do is, find the i.d. plate on that fridge someplace that tells it's operational amps and all that kind of info. Either you'll find the START UP amperage and RUNNING amperage or, you may be able to determine both from other info on that fridge. If you can't find any info on that subject from anywhere on your fridge, you can contact whomever owns Hotpoint with your serial and model number and maybe get the start up and running amps from them.

Once you have that, you'll now know just what kind of juice is needed to both start, and run that fridge. I don't know the year of your present fridge but, at present, with what info I've gathered in doing research for my situation, I'd bet dollars to donuts that your year/make/model fridge WILL NOT run with a MSW inverter which, is the one you have. But, again, I'm not an expert. Not many of folks on here can tell you whether or not, your present fridge, WILL or WILL NOT run on a MSW inverter, at least now without knowing what some of the compressor stats are. But, suffice to say, it's a fair guess it won't run with your present inverter.

But, in the event you find out that your present fridge WILL run with your present inverter, you've got a couple of choices. It's possible, based on some logistics here, that you can run an extension cord from an actual inverter powered outlet to your fridge and that MIGHT work. Again, logistics might be that, the closest inverter powered outlet is too far away or the locale of it, makes it impossible.

Or, you could do what I attempted to do, to try and get inverter power to the outlet at the back of my fridge which, like yours, was not inverter powered. I have two AC breaker panels at the foot of our bed. One is the shore/gen powered A/C panel and the other, is an Inverter A/C panel. That inverter A/C panel provides current to every single outlet in our coach, EXCEPT the one behind the fridge.

So, what I did was this. I located the breaker in the shore power/gen A/C panel that supplies power to the fridge outlet. I removed that wire and, simply moved it over to the inverter breaker panel. Now, all the breakers in that inverter power breaker panel are already taken up so, I could not just add a breaker. So, here's what I did. I removed one of the breakers in that inverter panel and, removed the wire from that breaker. I then used a wire nut, to couple that wire, AND the wire I transferred over from the other breaker panel (fridge outlet wire) and, a short jumper wire. So, that wire nut had THREE wires in it. But, the little shore jumper is what went back into the breaker I'd removed from the panel.

I re-installed that breaker and, that was it.. I now have the fridge outlet, powered by both shore power and inverter power since all those circuits in the inverter breaker panel, are all powered by both power sources.

But, that little experiment failed. The reason is, if you've been following any of my saga of the residential fridge change-over, my new residential fridge, simply won't run on MSW power. Hence, this is why I have a new, 1000 watt, PSW inverter on order. Incidentally, my new fridge is quite efficient. It only runs on 1.3 amps. There's a bit of controversy on my report of the fact that, my fridge has a start up amperage of 1.4 and the running amps are 1.3. Normally, the start up is considerably higher than the running amps. But, I'm only going by what the techs at the Magic Chef told me, TWICE, on the phone. Based on their info, I could have gone with a smaller inverter but, I chose the 1000 watt one just to be sure.
Scott

Quote:
A few pictures of my Kaise
Ron,
I thank you for your taking the time to send/post pics. I'm sure glad that unit has a built in remote. That makes my day.
Scott
Old 09-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Doubles the cost of the fridge.

Fire Up,

Been following your install and If all goes well with the inverter it appears that the fridge price is only half of the install cost.
Considering the other components necessary.

Thank you for sharing and posting so we who may someday have to face the decision to Upgrade to a residential fridge can do so with a bit more information before deciding which way to go.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #134

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fire Up ....

Potentially yes. As I noted we never dry camp. Once a year we attend a NASCAR race that would require LP, generator/inverter. The fridge is all neatly packed into its spot so getting the necessary info off of it would be a job. Contacting the company would be easy. I just have to decide if the investment of a new inverter is worth it to me. If I never went to the NASCAR race I would be fine. I love the fun we all have together (a guys long weekend) but in many ways I'd much prefer camping with family as we do all summer long. I am curious about your inverter breaker panel. Is it possible I do not have one ? We only have about 5 live inverter outlets in the whole bus.

I honestly believe that the expense isn't worth the end result. I can run my generator for a bunch of hours before it exceeds the cost of the new inverter and turning that outlet into a live inverter outlet. I will continue to pursue it by getting the fridge info but with a 2000 watt inverter averaging around $3 to $500 it's probably not gonna happen. Now if Hotpoint could run on MSW that might change my whole perspective.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #135

Having had my 8 cu.ft. Dometic fridge die a few weeks ago, I decided to buy a 10.1 cu.ft. residential fridge to replace it. I also installed a 2.1 cu.ft. mini fridge in a lower compartment last year (love it!). After mounting the new fridge, upgrading to a new PSW 1000 watt inverter, and adding a new circuit to run both fridges off the inverter with an auto transfer switch, I finally got to use the new setup today.

Both fridges were around 36-38 degrees after running for 1 hour on the inverter (starting temp was around 65 degrees). After 3 hours on the inverter, I was only down .1 volts. The quick cool down, and the new fridge feeling twice as big, this is so far the best damn thing I could have done! And the whole thing was less than half the cost of a replacement RV fridge!!
Old 09-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post
Having had my 8 cu.ft. Dometic fridge die a few weeks ago, I decided to buy a 10.1 cu.ft. residential fridge to replace it. I also installed a 2.1 cu.ft. mini fridge in a lower compartment last year (love it!). After mounting the new fridge, upgrading to a new PSW 1000 watt inverter, and adding a new circuit to run both fridges off the inverter with an auto transfer switch, I finally got to use the new setup today.

Both fridges were around 36-38 degrees after running for 1 hour on the inverter (starting temp was around 65 degrees). After 3 hours on the inverter, I was only down .1 volts. The quick cool down, and the new fridge feeling twice as big, this is so far the best damn thing I could have done! And the whole thing was less than half the cost of a replacement RV fridge!!
Roger that Sir.
I think it's gonna be the same results for me. I've ordered the new KISAE 1000 PSW Inverter with built in transfer switch and, I didn't know it but, (and neither did the sales/tech at Invertersrus.com) that Inverter also has a *built in* remote that can be removed and, attached with a phone cord and mounted in a place of your choice. Hopefully, that inverter will come by sometime next week. They're not all that responsive there when inquiries are made.

Very glad your plan worked out, especially with TWO new fridges. That second mini one in the basement sounds like a good plan, especially for say soda, beer and essentials that you are in need of without bothering the main fridge. Hmmmm, might have to think on that one. Although, I really can't give up any space for it. Still.......
Scott
Old 09-05-2020, 06:24 AM   #137

I put the mini fridge in last year for drinks mostly due to the fact the RV fridge was so small we had to bring coolers along. I took a look at my basement compartment and found a mini fridge that fit perfect. No more coolers needed now! And we love the access to cool drinks while sitting under the awning.

Yes, the problem is losing precious storage space, but we like the tradeoff. The only thing I can't carry now is our nice grill/camp table. I've been looking for an alternative that folds up for next year.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #138

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
...I have (4) 6V golf cart batteries and, a 2000 watt Magnum M/S2020 Inverter/Charger already. From, what I've read about this potential situation, albeit quite a while ago, at least one approach to this is to purchase at least (2) more batteries and, a separate inverter, with possibly even some solar, to power the residential fridge....Scott
Just plug it in. You have everything necessary to power a RR and should be fine running off batteries for at least 24 hours or so. (Assuming the Magnum is a PSW inverter)
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:04 AM   #139

Quote:
Roger that Sir.
I think it's gonna be the same results for me. I've ordered the new KISAE 1000 PSW Inverter with built in transfer switch and, I didn't know it but, (and neither did the sales/tech at Invertersrus.com) that Inverter also has a *built in* remote that can be removed and, attached with a phone cord and mounted in a place of your choice. Hopefully, that inverter will come by sometime next week. They're not all that responsive there when inquiries are made.

Very glad your plan worked out, especially with TWO new fridges. That second mini one in the basement sounds like a good plan, especially for say soda, beer and essentials that you are in need of without bothering the main fridge. Hmmmm, might have to think on that one. Although, I really can't give up any space for it. Still.......
Scott
Hi Scott,
I'm more impressed you went from a Gold Wing to an Africa Twin, how did that go?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Hi Scott,
I'm more impressed you went from a Gold Wing to an Africa Twin, how did that go?
Lenny-shawna,
Well, I (we) have been Goldwingers for decades. WE both love those bikes for a zillion reasons. Buuuuuut, the Wing's been sitting more and more for the last year or even a couple of years. Without a doubt, we'd not used it for its potential for quite some time. Well, having a bike that big, for running down and getting a burger every once in a while is to me, just not worth it.

Sooooo, I decided to change. I took the Wing in for a recall and while there, I wandered the showroom floor just gazing. Well, the micro-second I happened upon the 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sports model, I WAS HOOKED! I knew I had to have one.

Sooooo, after much deliberations, the WAR DEPARTMENT gave me the final authorization to make the major change. Looooonnnngggg story short, I found a brand new 2018 AT/AS DCT model with ZERO miles on it. I traded the Wing in on it and, loaded up the A/T and off we went back home.

I love this AT/AS DCT phenomenally! The DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) for you folks that are unaware. It's a TOTALLY AUTOMATIC motorcycle!! Yep, my days of shifting gears ARE LONG GONE! But, I still get the thrill and pleasure of riding a motorcycle. I just don't have to worry about or, even think about shifting and can concentrate on more around me and present street conditions and traffic or, country roads, trails, forest service roads and more.

The CEO so far, is not all that happy with her riding/seating conditions. OBVIOUSLY, the Wing, for her, was like sitting in a stratolounger and she was about as comfortable as one can get. But, on the Twin, she's not so comfy. But, we don't ride together all that much anymore. I've equipped that bike with electronic cruise control, a new Garmin Zumo XT GPS, a rear rack and back rest for her and, I'm loving it.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3719.jpg
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	299886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Departure, June-July 2020 trip.jpg
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	299887