Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #1

Thinking of a Super C

Hi,

Current coach is a 2008 37ft Itasca Latitude on a Workhorse rear engine gas chassis (Chevy Vortec 8.1) we have had for the last 3 years.

We love the coach but will be looking to get something newer for retirement.

As we have a gas pusher I don't think I can go back to a front engine gas model (had one for 3 years). The logical path would be a DP but Super C's are on my radar.

I understand for same length a Super C will not have as much space in the coach.

Has anyone moved from a class A to a Super C or done research on it.

Have spent a lot of time checking out Renegade and Dynamax.

Coach will be used year round either on the road or as a guest house.

Budget would be about 100k plus whatever I get for selling or trading ( so lets say 130k) and more than happy with used.

I am also more than happy to go with a DP also.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #2

I'm looking at the DX3. I'll be interested to see what others say about the Dynamax.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I'm looking at the DX3. I'll be interested to see what others say about the Dynamax.
I looked at the dx3 also but I am leaning towards a Isata 5 or Renegade Veracruz, both 4wd.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #4

I currently have a 35' class A diesel pusher on Freightliner XC with about 330 sq. ft. of livable space. I seriously looked at the Jayco Seneca and DX3. I decided against the Seneca because the cockpit area seems small and unusable to me and you lose the view out of the big Class A windows. The DX3 appeared to be a much better alternative to the Class A because the cockpit is on the same level as the living space because the house is mounted on the Freightliner M2 106 chassis rather than the S2RV chassis like the Seneca. As such, I estimate the DX3 provides about 315 sq. ft of useable living space. But, it comes at a cost. The DX measures almost 40'. Almost 14' of that length is tail swing and the wheelbase is about 23'. By comparison, my current 35' class A is 5' shorter than the DX3 with about the same useable living space and 12' of tail swing with only 16' wheelbase. Add to this that the cost of a new DX3 is around $1/4 million and I conclude that I'm better off with my class A.
Coalminer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #5

I thought I wanted a Super C until I drove a Jayco Seneca a few years ago. The ride was too rough for me. Decided to go with a class A DP with air bags.
Not sure if the newer more expensive ones have front air bags, but if you're used to the ride that air bags provide, the leaf spring Super C ride is rough.
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #6

Thanks both,

I would sure miss the Class A window.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Current coach is a 2008 37ft Itasca Latitude on a Workhorse rear engine gas chassis (Chevy Vortec 8.1) we have had for the last 3 years.

We love the coach but will be looking to get something newer for retirement.

As we have a gas pusher I don't think I can go back to a front engine gas model (had one for 3 years). The logical path would be a DP but Super C's are on my radar.

I understand for same length a Super C will not have as much space in the coach.

Has anyone moved from a class A to a Super C or done research on it.

Have spent a lot of time checking out Renegade and Dynamax.

Coach will be used year round either on the road or as a guest house.

Budget would be about 100k plus whatever I get for selling or trading ( so lets say 130k) and more than happy with used.

I am also more than happy to go with a DP also.

Thanks,
I have owned 2 super C's. First was an 07 Dynamax Grand Sport 380 on a M2 chassis. It was well built except their wiring practices left a little to be desired. We owned it for 5 years, bought it with 14,000 miles and sold it at 40,000. Our current is an 07 Haulmark on a class 8 chassis. It is built very solid. We bought it with 30,000 miles, all service done as recommended with proof. Garage kept when not in use, looks and drives like new. Since purchase I have made about $10,000 in upgrades, complete entertainment system, tires, mattresses and other small items.
Makers that built or build good super C's. Haulmark, Renegade, older Dynamax, Showhauler, NRC, Silver Crown and Optima.
I wouldn't recommend newer Dynamax, one newer model from Renegade and all Jayco models. If you are going to full time these versions would get old quick.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
I have owned 2 super C's. First was an 07 Dynamax Grand Sport 380 on a M2 chassis. It was well built except their wiring practices left a little to be desired. We owned it for 5 years, bought it with 14,000 miles and sold it at 40,000. Our current is an 07 Haulmark on a class 8 chassis. It is built very solid. We bought it with 30,000 miles, all service done as recommended with proof. Garage kept when not in use, looks and drives like new. Since purchase I have made about $10,000 in upgrades, complete entertainment system, tires, mattresses and other small items.
Makers that built or build good super C's. Haulmark, Renegade, older Dynamax, Showhauler, NRC, Silver Crown and Optima.
I wouldn't recommend newer Dynamax, one newer model from Renegade and all Jayco models. If you are going to full time these versions would get old quick.
Thanks, you just mentioned 4 brands I have never heard of and will check them out :-)
Old 03-04-2021, 05:08 AM   #9

Another vote against Dynamax. Bought a 2020 Isata 5 and already got rid of it. Did not have many issues but the fact that I had to pray every time I tried to open or close the slide. They have the absolute worst slides in the industry with many issues. Before buying, there is a Forest river forum with a Dynamax page. The head of Dynamax is on there and tries to help but it seems quality is not getting better.
I prefer the Class A DP for the usable space.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks, you just mentioned 4 brands I have never heard of and will check them out :-)

I have owner a M2-106 class 6 and a Volvo 630 class 8 fifth wheel toter. I can tell you the N2 is a glorified pickup power wise and ride wise. Drive both platforms before you but. The M2 is generally under powered.

REAL super c's only have a class 8 truck chassis.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #11

Thanks both,

A class 8 truck definitely sounds like it will drive much better.

I spoke to a dealer yeartday and he reckoned as I already have a pusher it would be hard to loose that space.

We are more than happy with our existing coach but do realize it will have to be changed at some stage. I know my wife likes the look of the 2012 plus coaches. I am more interested in ride and handling :-)
Old 03-04-2021, 07:21 AM   #12

One thing to consider is that some Class A resorts will not allow a Super C . Might not be a big deal to you, but for some people that becomes an issue.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
One thing to consider is that some Class A resorts will not allow a Super C . Might not be a big deal to you, but for some people that becomes an issue.
I am not sure it would be an issue for us but you never know :-)
Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #14

Just some things to consider with a Super C. The first is safety. You have about 4-5 feet of engine and very substantial frame in front of you in case of a front end collision. They also have a steel cab for roll-over protection The other is serviceability. Nearly every truck repair shop in the country can and likely will work on your Super C. Not so much with a DP. Just a couple of the big reason I will be buying a Super C.

As far as particular brands you might want to look at construction techniques. Last I knew Renegade used 2x4 construction for the walls. I don't care how you fasten wood together it will eventually work loose due to flexing and stress. Wood will also rot. Both Nexus and Dynamax use Azdel in place of luan plywood in their walls and steel (Nexus) or aluminum (Dynamax) for their framing. Just some more things to think about. Happy hunting.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote