Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #1

Thor buyers 'beware'

I purchased our ACE by Thor nearly 4 years ago. It was advertised as solar ready. Now that I am interested in possible solar for battery charging and after several communications with Thor Customer Care I am advised that "Not everything that is advertised is placed on every single coach even if it is the same make/model that is being advertised".
FYI
terntes
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

False advertising USED to be against the law. Federal law too if the products were sold in more than one state. That still may be the case so document what happened and send the info to both the FTC and the State AG where you purchased it. Complaint forms for those entities are online. You can also sue in small claims court IF you were actually harmed...like if you bought all the parts for your solar system and THEN found out the RV wasn't solar ready.

Good luck.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #3

I would not be too concerned over this. Almost every coach that comes solar ready is not worth much as the wires they use, etc. is not rated for much more than a little worthless panel and controller. If you are really going to go solar, you will be using much better wires and everything else than what you might get from the factory. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That advertisement also carries the fine print "specs may change at any time", so they have the legal angle covered (to your detriment).

In any case, 530ktm is right on target - you haven't lost much if its not there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

Most “solar ready” units I have seen basically require you putting all new heavier wires in if you are doing a rooftop install. But, I did had a 2017 MBS Sprinter that had the sidewall plug for a portable panel that worked. Didn’t do much, but was there.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #6

Abe Lincoln's log cabin from the 1800 was also solar ready. As in ready for you to do the work to install a proper solar system. It's called marketing. Most things a manufacturer claim are debunked by the fine print disclaimers at the bottom of the page.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #7

It would of least been nice to have pair of #10 wires down to batteries or adjacent bay. Most owners use fridge box a large chase to run solar wiring down to lower bays. My OEM 90watt panel has small charge panel outside above fridge to rear engine panel. For some odd reason not hooked to either set of batteries, only to one side of a terminal block.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #8

About the only benefit I've seen from "factory-ready for solar" is that they give you a thin wire that you can use to pull through the real wires that you'll need.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the heads up. I never considered Thor quality in such of a solar system, especially poor wiring quality. Probably the best thing for me is to install my own after market portable system.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #10

I saw this video a while back and found it amusing and informative.

https://youtu.be/HWw904saLGA

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I saw this video a while back and found it amusing and informative.

https://youtu.be/HWw904saLGA
That was wonderful. I hope CW eventually took care of him, but . . .

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #12

That is false advertising any way you put it

On the trailer we had before our current one it advertised it was solar ready and had a plug on the side. Supposedly all you had to do was plug in your solar panel and you were set. Well, the only solar panel you could use was the Zamp panel which was 3 times more expensive that any other panel. We were going replace the plug so we could use a cheaper panel and when looking at the plug I noticed that the two wires that were supposed to go to the battery from the plug were only 12" long and not wired to anything. I bought a generator.
Suru11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #13

ACE or Thor buyers; I have seen the videos of poor Thor quality and I have read quality problems are everywhere. I've been lucky so far, except for lack of solar ready which I don't really need and the abundance of cheap interiors, I have more than 35k miles in almost 4 years and have had no problems, even with the Goodyear tires. I also should speak of the Thor Freedom Elite with 20k miles and no problems to speak of.

Thanks,
terntes

Tags
thor