Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Phaeton, HR Scepter or Imperial, or Monaco Windsor or Diplomat

So, I've posted before and thanks to this forum, we've narrowed it down. We are wanting to spend about $60,000 on our first rig. In that price range, we can find a Tiffin Phaeton, HR Scepter, HR Imperial, Monaco Windsor or a Monaco Diplomat. Opposing slides in the living room is a must have. We LOVE the two slides in the bedroom of the Phaeton, but it isn't a deal breaker. All of the models we have seen have floor plans we LOVE! We can get full body paint in that price range as well as the fiberglass roof.

That being said.....I would love for people to chime in about the 5 different ones listed. I am aware of the trailing arm issues, but from my understanding the 8 bag chassis doesn't have that issue.

PLEASE chime in. We are having a tough time with the decision and know NOTHING! LOL

You help is greatly appreciated

Charlie (Future RV OWNER!)
ccalhoun71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT. It has three slideouts and we really enjoy the floorplan!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Tiffin, and Monaco Diplomat should be about on par with each other.

The other coaches you listed are a little higher in features. Side radiators being one thing.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

One thing the Tiffin has going for it, both the house builder, and chassis manufacturer are still in business. Not so for the Monaco / Holiday Ramblers.
If you own one of the latter two, like myself, you need to be prepared to do the research yourself, when parts are needed.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #5

Also think about rear or side radiator. The Phaeton and Diploma are rear and the Scepter/Camelot, Windsor and Imperial are side. Having had both, I can tell you the side radiator is a big plus when servicing. Many parts are interchangeable between brands, but you will need more research on those, other than Tiffin.
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #6

The side radiator is also excellent if driving down a gravel road if you do any boondocking. Keeps the dust out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Love my 03 Scepter. Its only a Double slide. Look for the PDQ. An 05 should come with an ISL, not have any emission controls, be side radiator, and be in that price range depending on upgrades.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #8

Have owned 5 motor homes and now will own nothing but a Tiffin product. My opinion.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Have owned 5 motor homes and now will own nothing but a Tiffin product. My opinion.
A Thor is not in the same league as the ones he's looking at. What were the other 3?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

We have had our 04 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, same as Diplomat. It has been rock solid. For an older coach you can't hardly beat the 330 hp Cummins 8.3 ISC engine.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #11

Only had my Phaeton since July 2020 so still a newbie. But quite happy with it. Been on a couple Harvesthosts overnights less than an hour away & one 12 hour drive.

With the 4 slides out it is quite spacious.

Propane fridge drives me nuts. I "jump start" the fridge with 3 or 4 milk jugs or 2 liter soda bottles 3/4 full with water & frozen.

Engine & generator are great. Highway cruising can't be beat in this rig but I also am comparing to the same 12 hour drive in a Suburban.

Tags
diplomat, monaco, phaeton, tiffin, wind