Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

Are service records available on both? By the way, the side radiator is important from the standpoint of servicing the rear end of the engine. Things like belts, water pump, alternator are a relatively easy swap-out. Just doing the twice yearly cleaning of the radiator on a rear radiator set-up is a chore compared to the side radiator on the Newmar.
As for the "homey" feel. Both of these options are at least 1/2 way into the timeline for updating carpet/tile/furniture etc., so what's it going to take money wise to make the Newmar "homey" to you?
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #16
dms

From one who has had both (new), buy the Newmar! The Tiffin is a lot of coach in its price point when comparing to the Newmar equivalents, but Newmar wins hands down when comparing quality, ride, design and service. I had nothing but trouble with the 2014 Phaeton and dealer service was very poor. Red Bay appointments are frustrating and plan to spend a lot of time there getting things corrected that shouldn't have occured, most if not all due to lack of decent QC.

Newmar QC is excellent as is dealer knowledge and service quality. Service appointments at the factory (if you need it) are run like a swiss watch.

Before you buyand as an idicator of quality, crawl the basement and inspect the wiring harness(s) on both. This will give you an idea of the time spent in production QC. The Tiffin is just thrown in with wires hanging from front to back. Newmar is neatly routed, strapped and insulated throughout. Newmar coaches are much more insulated and Tiffin has nil insulation (no front cap insulation at all, etc).

Like the man says, "you can pay me now or pay me later". The Tiffin price points are better, but a Newmar equivalent coach is more for the money, as you get comfort drive, better suspension and a smoother and quieter ride.

I know that most Tiffin owners will chime in and my intent is not to start a feeding frenzy, but I've had both and have found no comparison between the two in terms of issues, build quality, ride, design and service.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
From one who has had both (new), buy the Newmar! The Tiffin is a lot of coach in its price point when comparing to the Newmar equivalents, but Newmar wins hands down when comparing quality, ride, design and service. I had nothing but trouble with the 2014 Phaeton and dealer service was very poor. Red Bay appointments are frustrating and plan to spend a lot of time there getting things corrected that shouldn't have occured, most if not all due to lack of decent QC.

Newmar QC is excellent as is dealer knowledge and service quality. Service appointments at the factory (if you need it) are run like a swiss watch.

Before you buyand as an idicator of quality, crawl the basement and inspect the wiring harness(s) on both. This will give you an idea of the time spent in production QC. The Tiffin is just thrown in with wires hanging from front to back. Newmar is neatly routed, strapped and insulated throughout. Newmar coaches are much more insulated and Tiffin has nil insulation (no front cap insulation at all, etc).

Like the man says, "you can pay me now or pay me later". The Tiffin price points are better, but a Newmar equivalent coach is more for the money, as you get comfort drive, better suspension and a smoother and quieter ride.

I know that most Tiffin owners will chime in and my intent is not to start a feeding frenzy, but I've had both and have found no comparison between the two in terms of issues, build quality, ride, design and service.
I'm sure my husband will be thrilled with your post. We really appreciate your insite!
dlennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #18

I think I would do some more looking and find one you both can agree on. Sounds like hubby is looking more at drive ability and maintenance and you at floor plan and storage. You both are looking at very important issues when it comes to such an important purchase. Keep looking.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
It doesn't matter if you are driving down the road or parked the Dutch Star will be much quieter.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim27358 View Post
I think I would do some more looking and find one you both can agree on. Sounds like hubby is looking more at drive ability and maintenance and you at floor plan and storage. You both are looking at very important issues when it comes to such an important purchase. Keep looking.
Lol, it's taken us months to narrow it down to two! Thank you.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
It doesn't matter if you are driving down the road or parked the Dutch Star will be much quieter.
Thank you!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Tiffin vs Newmar

You can always change things in the DutchStar like flooring, furniture, etc to cater to your likes. The things you can't change are the "bones" .....which are better in the Newmar than the Tiffin.

Have you had a paid professional RV inspector give a report? This is similar to having a home inspection done before buying real estate.

If one coach comes up with hidden serious issues, you can choose the other one.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As Dutch Star Don noted, you are comparing a more entry-level (Phaeton) coach to the mid level (Dutch Star). You will get more 'coach' for your money with the Dutch Star, IMO. Also, I suspect either of them have floor plans you like since you say you have been shopping for a long time and have narrowed your choice to these two. While the 'homey' feel is important, it doesn't speak to overall quality. I owned a travel trailer one time that looked 'homey' but we soon learned it was not good quality.

Also, if you plan to travel a lot in the coach, how it handles and drives will be very important to whomever is doing the driving. The tag axle and comfort drive on the DS will make it the better driving/handling coach.

Between those two, no question I would go for the Newmar.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, go for the gold & tell DH you'll go for DSDP4018 *if* you can order new, exactly the way you want it :-).
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #25

Understand completely but it's a big investment for one of you to settle for something you really aren't happy with.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Man.. Those are two great coaches either way!!! You can't lose in this decision, unless you go against mama!!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
To me the single biggest selling point of a Newmar is Comfort Steer. When you drive long distances it is a godsend.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
The Phaeton has been and still is the number one selling mid-level class A coach. The interior fit and finish is superior to Newmar. Cabinets are all hardwood no press or particle board. Tiffin also has more storage than Newmar. Phaeton 42 foot models have a tag axle and drive every bit as good as Newmar and don't require steering assistance. So don't make your decision based on the Newmar salesman in this thread. Pick the coach that meet your needs.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin