Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Question time to re-tire the MH

OK. I know there are several threads here on the forum about tires for MHs but I really wanted to bring together what I've found and ask my fellow forum followers for feedback.

Our '05 National Dolphin came with Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5 tires. These tires are load range "G" and show max load of 5202 @ 110psi.

I used this as the benchmark and found the following tires to be equivalent in the load range and max load:

Bridgestone R280 - 295/75R22.5

Goodyear G670 - 265/75R22.5

Michelin XRV and XZE - 235/80R22.5

Toyo M147 - 295/75R22.5

Any others?

I looked for a Cooper tire and couldn't find one in this size/load range.

I understand the Michelin XRVs have a more flexible sidewall and when inflated to about 85psi give a softer ride at the sacrifice of handling. We drove to Tampa Bay last week and on the way down all tiers had 100psi. The fellow that checked the tires at LazyDays deflated them to 85psi - as per the manufacturers' label in the front cabinet over the driver's head. I noticed that the coach's steering was less precise (softer or musher) on the way back home (tires @85psi) than on the way down (tires @100psi).

At any rate, the tires are aging and to be safe it is time to put on a new set. Hence the investigation and the request for your opinions, experiences and comments about the merits and demerits of the tires listed above.

Thanks in advanced for the help
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
width would be a concern. All those posted are much larger than the OEM michelin.
The tire pressure is directly related to the weight. Not sure why a tech would bag the tires down unless he had corner or axle weights to justify doing so.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
width would be a concern. All those posted are much larger than the OEM michelin.
So would diameter. Going bigger might be good but you might have to change the wheels too as they might end up "kissing" on the rear and that's bad for them.
On another forum someone posted pictures of his oversize tires that failed and blamed the tires. But looking at the pictures you could see where they had been "kissing" and it was right where the blowout happened.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JJH3rd,
Consider staying with the same size tire (the Michelin's). This is a once in every 10 year purchase, if you take care of the tires. If your a FMCA member, go to the FMCA web site and read about the Michelin Advantage Program. FMCA members receive a very good price on Michelin tires for your coach..
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
JJH3rd,
The reason that the Michelin XRV has a more flexible side wall that makes it feel like a softer ride is because these ties were made for the RV market and do not have steel belting like you would think all Michelins have. This is what I was told when talking to Michelin techs the last time I researched tire before purchasing my Bridgestone R280 295/75R22.5 steel belted tires about 3 years ago. This was as apparently an executive decision by Michelin to keep them more price competitive.

Another tid-bit of info, is that the Goodyear G670 tires that are generally made for the RV market are made with a softer rubber compound so they will wear out faster so they will be more apt to be replaced in the recommended life span of RV tires.

Best of Luck
Yukon jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack
JJH3rd,
The reason that the Michelin XRV has a more flexible side wall that makes it feel like a softer ride is because these ties were made for the RV market and do not have steel belting like you would think all Michelins have. This is what I was told when talking to Michelin techs the last time I researched tire before purchasing my Bridgestone R280 295/75R22.5 steel belted tires about 3 years ago. This was as apparently an executive decision by Michelin to keep them more price competitive.

Another tid-bit of info, is that the Goodyear G670 tires that are generally made for the RV market are made with a softer rubber compound so they will wear out faster so they will be more apt to be replaced in the recommended life span of RV tires.

Best of Luck
Yukon jack
I'm always looking to learn , however this is the first I've heard of the Michelins not being steel belted.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
What kind of discount would we be looking at through FMCA? (in general). We've not joined yet and haven't decided whether or not it is worth the cost.
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawson View Post
What kind of discount would we be looking at through FMCA? (in general). We've not joined yet and haven't decided whether or not it is worth the cost.

If your tire size is listed , this link is a sampling of prices generaly being quoted.
Michelin Advantage program - instructions
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

I'm always looking to learn , however this is the first I've heard of the Michelins not being steel belted.
Well, I had nothing to do this morning so I called the Cust. Svc dept for Michelin 800-847-3435 and they confirmed that the XRV Tires are in fact Steel Belted Radial.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawson View Post
another alternative is to purchase the tires through Costco or Sams. The price is near the same or within $10 of the FMCA.
IIRC the cost on that tire was ~$410.
Mounting/balancing/disposal shouldnt be more than $40/tire.

You could also contact an independent to see what they can do a set "OTD".
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
heres the thread about the costco source

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mich...co-117204.html
Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I talked to a Michelin tire dealer yesterday and after a few minutes of discussions, he recommended that I check out the FMCA plan as they had a price he couldn't touch. Does anyone know if the Monaco group price and the FMCA price are the same?
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #13

For the original poster: Tire pressures should be based on the weight they are carrying. All tire manufacturers of tires this size have pressure vs weight charts. You have to get each of the four corners weighed and refer to the chart to determine the pressure you should have in each tire.
This prevents possible under inflation or over inflation.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Here's the posted specs. The reccommended tire pressures are in the FEDERAL CERTIFICATION TAG label
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7085c.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	18819  
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote