Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Tips on Tire Chains

Last year we were on the west coast for the winter months. I had no intention of driving in snow, but I knew that some of the highways I would be using were posted "Must carry chains" for heavy vehicles in the winter months. At least one of the auto shops had an offer that if you bought chains during the winter and didn't use them, you could return them in the spring. I bought chains for the coach and for the car. When I returned them in April, the car chains were immediately refunded, but the offer did not extend to the coach's 'commercial' chains. Fortunately, I thought to ask if they would do it for a restocking fee. Sure, 10% fee. Beats carrying chains in Florida. Bottom line, it cost me $10 to rent two sets of chains for the winter.

When I bought the coach chains, I assumed everything was in the sealed package. Wrong. The tensioning bungees are an additional item, as I discovered when having some tire work done at a shop down the road.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

Good information. That's why I always read the forum to find tidbits of information like this.

Also, I know that Colorado, and maybe some nearby states, have "Chain Law in effect" laws and sometimes you can not proceed without tire chains or snow tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Last year we were on the west coast for the winter months. I had no intention of driving in snow, but I knew that some of the highways I would be using were posted "Must carry chains" for heavy vehicles in the winter months. At least one of the auto shops had an offer that if you bought chains during the winter and didn't use them, you could return them in the spring. I bought chains for the coach and for the car. When I returned them in April, the car chains were immediately refunded, but the offer did not extend to the coach's 'commercial' chains. Fortunately, I thought to ask if they would do it for a restocking fee. Sure, 10% fee. Beats carrying chains in Florida. Bottom line, it cost me $10 to rent two sets of chains for the winter.

When I bought the coach chains, I assumed everything was in the sealed package. Wrong. The tensioning bungees are an additional item, as I discovered when having some tire work done at a shop down the road.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #3

After using chains for 25 years(semi driver) I never thought the day would come when I would have to get some.......... 2 weeks ago I bought a full set as we plan on leaving in February (RETIRING!!!!!) and Montana has chain laws as well as quite a few more in the western US.
As mentioned, make sure they are tight! and bungee straps in a criss cross pattern help keep all the slop in control before you stop to re-tighten( at least twice). Loose chains ="s very short life! As they self destruct from all the slapping on the ground.
Something else to remember is that if you only bought rears, don't think it's going to steer like normal, a set of singles on the front gets you there.......
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you know you are going to use chains, I highly recommend Z-Chain. They cost more, but they work great and aren't as difficult to install as the standard style chains. I pulled a travel trailer into Yosemite Valley with almost six inches of snow in patches over the higher passes with Z-Chain on the truck and travel trailer. I'm glad I had them and knew how to use them.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/brands...oices/z-chain/
Old 11-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz57 View Post
Something else to remember is that if you only bought rears, don't think it's going to steer like normal, a set of singles on the front gets you there.......

The fellow that sold me the chains assured me that singles on the rear were an adequate solution. Since I never intended to use them, this cheaper solution was good enough. In practice, is it reasonable, or do we need dual width chains?
Old 11-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
The fellow that sold me the chains assured me that singles on the rear were an adequate solution. Since I never intended to use them, this cheaper solution was good enough. In practice, is it reasonable, or do we need dual width chains?

Great questions. The z chains link above seems to be for cars, trucks, suv's, not motorhomes.

So what is needed? Front, both rear wheel sets on non tag rigs? How about on a towed vehicle?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have dual drive tires, you should have dual drive tire chains.

I was near Flagstaff one winter and thought to myself "I'll just put some singles on and keep moving."

I lost traction on an uphill stretch of I-40 that got the westbound side of the freeway shut down while I installed the dual chains. A set of doubles on a tandem drive axle doesn't give much weight to help with traction, though.

Lesson learned here: singles on a dual set of tires might work until you really need traction, like climbing a hill. On flat land, maybe singles would be just fine.

I have never chained up the steering axle on any vehicle to get down a snowy or icy public road. Slow down and realize that stopping and going are what the chains are for, and driving slowly enough to maneuver safely is your responsibility.

As always, YMMV.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:

We bought chains for the MH and toad in California last January. Our MH has 19.5 wheels and there was no problem returning both sets in Washington in April. I suspect your MH has 22.5, which might throw you into a different category.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a set of chains I bought years ago. New in the box in a storage compartment. Plan is to continue to leave them there. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Carry and did carry chains on the DP, I'm legal and will never put them on. Still in the nice plastic box they come in zip tied shut. Pair for the MH and a pair for the towed. I'll sit it out where I'm safe and warm.

LEN
Old 11-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz57 View Post
After using chains for 25 years(semi driver) I never thought the day would come when I would have to get some.......... 2 weeks ago I bought a full set as we plan on leaving in February (RETIRING!!!!!) and Montana has chain laws as well as quite a few more in the western US.

What is the maximum speed you would go with chains?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
What is the maximum speed you would go with chains?
Me personally? 35 mph!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Great information!!!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #14

As mentioned, 35 is very fast for chains travelling on the road. This also assumes that they are installed properly and have been retensioned a couple of times. Centrifugal force is going to push all the chains mass outwards and fibreglass and body panels are what they will hit if its not done correctly, we all know how much that kind of fix is!! Myself, chains are to make sure I'm legal in all states and provinces and to get me safely to park it for the night. They aren't meant to be the put them on and drive forever solution.
Trust me when I say that you should also practice putting them on...............you will have an interesting time. They can be put on backwards, upside down........they are a royal PITA but they get the job done! Hopefully I never have to use them!! :-)
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote