Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Tir pressure.

I have a 36 foot pace arrow.
It has 19.5 inch tires. single axil with dual tires.

Looking for a starting pressue setting wihout any weight measurements. Tires are rated for 120 psi. Thinking of starting with 100 psi.
Any input is appriceated. Hope to get weighed on next trip.
Thanks.
Macbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbow View Post
I have a 36 foot pace arrow.
It has 19.5 inch tires. single axil with dual tires.

Looking for a starting pressue setting wihout any weight measurements. Tires are rated for 120 psi. Thinking of starting with 100 psi.
Any input is appriceated. Hope to get weighed on next trip.
Thanks.
What pressure is shown on the certification label? That is a good starting point till you at least get truck scale axle numbers.

Did you bother to do a search on "air pressure" There are a few newer posts that cover how to learn the proper inflation for RV tire application.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #3

Until you get weighed, use the axle weights provided by coach manufacturer, then look up the recommended pressures based on tire manufacturer and size of tires. The maybe add a few extra pounds.

Seems on our previous 34' Bounder on 19" wheels I kept pressures around 90 front and rear.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #4

Thanks the recommended pressure on the chasis info is 85 psi.
The new tires are rated at 120 psi.
I’ll also do another search.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #5

i do mine by math.. the tire holds x amount of weight. the air pressure is y. so if 120 psi at 7000#'s then you do the math to get psi per pound of weight.. then use that to air your tires say 6000 #'s and the pse per pund to get the result.. ...of course fronts are different than rears and if duals same math..
Old 04-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If the recommended pressure by the coach manufacturer is 85, I would safely set it at 90 until you get the coach weighed. Check locally, often places like rental yards have scales that you can at least get axle weights.

As soon as you get the weights, you can set the pressure, so you can get your smoothest ride.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Weigh the coach, get axle weight, use the heavy side for the base weight for both sides, look up the desired pressure for that weight in the tire manufacturer's manual and add 10%. No guessing.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Find Gawr's and add 10% to those.
Then read from sidewall maxload and determine AT wich pressure( already gave 120 psi).
Then calc lineair so gawr+10%/ 2x maxload of tire X 120 psi.
Then you sertanly wont haveto low pressure, if you dont overload,
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
i do mine by math.. the tire holds x amount of weight. the air pressure is y. so if 120 psi at 7000#'s then you do the math to get psi per pound of weight.. then use that to air your tires say 6000 #'s and the pse per pund to get the result.. ...of course fronts are different than rears and if duals same math..

Have you compared the results of your math to the published Load & Inflation tables for 3 or 4 different size tires? You may be surprised with your results.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #10

The simple step process.

If you know nothing use the tire pressure as stated on the tire.
If you have the PSI info from RV manufacturer and nothing else, use it.
If you know your actual weights use the tire manufacturers chart values. Some add a fudge/safety percentage.

Don’t overthink this.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

Thanks all, at least have a starting point till I can weigh.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
Find Gawr's and add 10% to those.
Then read from sidewall maxload and determine AT wich pressure( already gave 120 psi).
Then calc lineair so gawr+10%/ 2x maxload of tire X 120 psi.
Then you sertanly wont haveto low pressure, if you dont overload,
I overreax that you have dual load axle in rear so for rear formula
GWAR+10%/ 4x maxload dual x 120 psi.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #13

i did for my tire size and used couple different manufacturers pages. And so close {usually psi couple pounds higher..
heres my tire General HS 295/75r22.5
6940#'s at 120 psi.. equals 57.83333 #'s per psi
so say i have 5500#'s on tire then 5500 divided by 57.8333 equals 95+ psi so i put 96 psi in tire. if you want check like Michelin or others see how close.. and i check heat after 100 or so miles on both sides cause sun side on hot days always little warmer and more and maybe 1-3 psi differentpsi.. and its how guy trained me OTR in 1980+..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Have you compared the results of your math to the published Load & Inflation tables for 3 or 4 different size tires? You may be surprised with your results.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #14

How it’s supposed to work.

You should know that the vehicle manufacturer/final stage certifier sets the recommended cold inflation pressures. Those recommendations are minimum and inflation pressures should never be below those recommendations. That’s a tire industry standard.

Inflation pressure adjustments between what has been recommended and tire sidewall/wheel max loads are optional. Normally done to correct an axle imbalance condition or a single tire overload condition. Never to exceed the vehicle’s GVWR.

The load capacity provided by the Original Equipment tires are your benchmark for all replacement tires of another size and load capacity. To do that you need an inflation chart for the OE tire size and the replacement tire size. You use the OE chart to determine how much load capacity is provided by the OE tires at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended cold inflation pressures. Then you use the replacement tire’s inflation chart to set a recommended cold inflation pressure that, at the minimum, will provide a load capacity equal to the OE tires.

NHTSA allows the use of auxiliary tire placards for plus sized tires. It’s used to identify the new tire size and recommended inflation pressure and can by affixed near the original tire placard. Notes in the vehicle owner’s manual are also recommended.

You can read all about it in chapter #4 of the following reference.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote