Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #1

Tire age info

I saw this video on youtube, https://youtu.be/WwbLt8vZH5w . It is about motorcycle tires, but I think the info helps explain how tires in general perform regarding their age. Any way, I thought it was interesting.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #2

It certainly is interesting and covers the basics. What I have found interesting is how I've seen the recommendations for replacing tires go from 7-8 years down to 5 in a lot of RV forums. These aren't from the manufacturers, they are from fellow RVers.

I also like to do thought experiments, and one conclusion I've come to just traveling and thinking of the tens or hundreds of thousands of vehicles I've passed on the road is just how incredibly safe tires are. A whole lot of the general pubic pay little to no attention to their tires so all day long every day you are passing vehicles that haven't had the tire pressure checked in God knows how long. The saving grace is TPMS built into a lot of modern cars. Add to that, a lot of old beaters driving around with old oxidized tires, and people with low speed rated tires flying down the freeway at way over the tire's rated speeds, or over loaded tires, and you'd think tires would be blowing out all the time, but they don't. That's amazing.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I saw this video on youtube, https://youtu.be/WwbLt8vZH5w . It is about motorcycle tires, but I think the info helps explain how tires in general perform regarding their age. Any way, I thought it was interesting.

We use to put some motorcycle tires in the attic for a year or two to harden up so the ice screws wouldnít pull out as easily. You can also buy motorcycle tires with different compounds and treads for the terrain you ride on.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
It certainly is interesting and covers the basics. What I have found interesting is how I've seen the recommendations for replacing tires go from 7-8 years down to 5 in a lot of RV forums. These aren't from the manufacturers, they are from fellow RVers.

I also like to do thought experiments, and one conclusion I've come to just traveling and thinking of the tens or hundreds of thousands of vehicles I've passed on the road is just how incredibly safe tires are. A whole lot of the general pubic pay little to no attention to their tires so all day long every day you are passing vehicles that haven't had the tire pressure checked in God knows how long. The saving grace is TPMS built into a lot of modern cars. Add to that, a lot of old beaters driving around with old oxidized tires, and people with low speed rated tires flying down the freeway at way over the tire's rated speeds, or over loaded tires, and you'd think tires would be blowing out all the time, but they don't. That's amazing.
Whatís amazing is the damage they cause if they do blow. My last blowout took everything but the kitchen sink. No more. Iím gonna replace 5 or 6 year old tires and and look at it like buying insurance. I probably wonít need the insurance, but itís peace of mind knowing I have it and itís the same with buying tires.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Whatís amazing is the damage they cause if they do blow. My last blowout took everything but the kitchen sink. No more. Iím gonna replace 5 or 6 year old tires and and look at it like buying insurance. I probably wonít need the insurance, but itís peace of mind knowing I have it and itís the same with buying tires.
You can try what I'm doing. Our WI home is in a agriculture area with several private trucking firms that haul farm produce to processing plants. There is a market for 5 year old 22.5" tires to go on seasonal semi trailers. They will pay $75 to $100 per tire. That's like an $800 discount when I replace mine. I know I could run them to 7 or 8 years, but the POM to have new skins every 5 years makes it worthwhile to me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #6

Rode motorcycles for decades.
Fronts got replaced when rears were worn, which was often.
Big CC street bikes and rode hard......Meitzlers were my favorite

Truck tires...roughly 60K
Trailer tires..5 yrs period
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You can try what I'm doing. Our WI home is in a agriculture area with several private trucking firms that haul farm produce to processing plants. There is a market for 5 year old 22.5" tires to go on seasonal semi trailers. They will pay $75 to $100 per tire. That's like an $800 discount when I replace mine. I know I could run them to 7 or 8 years, but the POM to have new skins every 5 years makes it worthwhile to me.
I replaced all 8 tires last year.... 7 years old with 60k miles on them. I told the tire place I'd be taking the old ones . That saved a $10/tire disposal fee. I placed an ad on facebook Marketplace and within a few hours, a local trucker came and bought all 8 take offs for $100 each to use on his trailers. total of $880 in my pocket vs leaving them with the tire shop.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #8

Does anyone have knowledge, or opinions, if the same is common for 19.5 tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I replaced all 8 tires last year.... 7 years old with 60k miles on them. I told the tire place I'd be taking the old ones . That saved a $10/tire disposal fee. I placed an ad on facebook Marketplace and within a few hours, a local trucker came and bought all 8 take offs for $100 each to use on his trailers. total of $880 in my pocket vs leaving them with the tire shop.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Does anyone have knowledge, or opinions, if the same is common for 19.5 tires?
Probably not. Almost all semi and farm produce trucks will use a 22.5" tire.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #10

Sold many 19.5 Michelin tires, about 13 yrs. ago I sold them to a*guy that runs them on his flat bed wreckers for $100. each.He told me he runs nothing but take off and can get 80/90*thousand miles out of them. I keep the MH garaged and apply*303 protestant 3 or 4 times a yr. when I get back from a trip.I keep extending the time I replaced* with new tires, always*looking for cracks around the rim. Have never seen any cracks.The last tires I changed were 13 yrs. old, and could only get$75. each. ....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire