Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Tire and wheel problem

New member so i hope i am doing this post correctly.
2001 damon daybreak 32 ft workhorse chassis
I hope it is not asking too much to get some insight in the problem I'm having. I had brake actuator rebuilt and pit back on and refilled reservoir with the atf fluid. Previously we lost the two back tires on the right side due to someone not tightening bolts. (no wreck....i noticed that it was lugging and lack of speed so I pulled over to check..Thank God) Road service changed 2 tires(not bf Goodrich like other 4 on rv) and lug bolts. We took on a test drive for 27 miles yesterday and smelt like a slight burnt tire smell and tires were hot and wheel hotter. (prob 2x heat as other side). I appreciate any insight on what i need to check next.
Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

I’m not familiar with your MH but it sound like your brake is sticking on . Are the disk or drum
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

We're sorry that you are here with a problem, but we hope that you will stay engaged with us after you have a resolution.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

Drum
Old 09-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champs View Post
I hope it is not asking too much to get some insight in the problem I'm having. I had brake actuator rebuilt and pit back on and refilled reservoir with the atf fluid. Previously we lost the two back tires on the right side due to someone not tightening bolts. (no wreck....i noticed that it was lugging and lack of speed so I pulled over to check..Thank God) Road service changed 2 tires(not bf Goodrich like other 4 on rv) and lug bolts. We took on a test drive for 27 miles yesterday and smelt like a slight burnt tire smell and tires were hot and wheel hotter. (prob 2x heat as other side). I appreciate any insight on what i need to check next.
Assuming you rebuilt the "master cylinder", but suspect you may have the drum brake on that wheel end dragging or "locked up", which could be caused by any number of things. Excessive heat left unchecked will cause more component damage, and COULD start a fire. I would seek competent help from a medium-duty truck shop. Most likely, you have a P32 chassis, IF so it was not included in the Bosch brake recall back in 2010. Unless you have a "6" in the sixth vin # position, you have a P32.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:

Champs,
Just need to clarify some items here. 1. "Brake Actuator"? May I ask, what EXACTLY are you referring to as a Brake Actuator? 2. You filled the "reservoir" with "ATF"? Again, trying to make sense here. Could you be speaking of some form of PARKING BRAKE system? 3. You state your coach was "Lugging" and "Lack of speed" but, you determined it was due to "someone not tightening bolts"? Hmmmm. These are some things that I'm just a tad bit confused on.

If it was a parking brake mechanism, then I could see filling it with ATF, especially if it was/is attached to the tail shaft of the trans like some Fords have it. But, if it was a master cylinder, well, you're in a heap of trouble if someone filled that with "ATF". And, lugging or, lack of speed, in relation to loose "bolts"? I'm maybe assuming you mean lug nuts. But, not sure how loose lug nuts can cause lugging or lack of speed.

Once I (we) get all the terminology cleared up, we can proceed to find solutions to what may be, more than one problem. Now, on a guess here, as has been stated, you MAY have at least one brake drum or possible caliper, that is sticking which, could cause a severe heat build up on that particular set of brakes which, would lead to a hot wheel and and tire or, set of tires if it's a set of duals. If it's drum brakes back there, they can be adjusted so they have the proper clearance and yet still operate with minimum pedal travel.

If they are discs back there, then there is NO adjustment. Disc brakes, by virtue of their operation, basically create their own needed clearance unless, there is a reason for any particular caliper to keep pressure on the pads. Such things as sticky pistons in the caliper, a clogged or deteriorating flex line leading to that particular caliper. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Champs,
Just need to clarify some items here. 1. "Brake Actuator"? May I ask, what EXACTLY are you referring to as a Brake Actuator? 2. You filled the "reservoir" with "ATF"? Again, trying to make sense here. Could you be speaking of some form of PARKING BRAKE system? 3. You state your coach was "Lugging" and "Lack of speed" but, you determined it was due to "someone not tightening bolts"? Hmmmm. These are some things that I'm just a tad bit confused on.

If it was a parking brake mechanism, then I could see filling it with ATF, especially if it was/is attached to the tail shaft of the trans like some Fords have it. But, if it was a master cylinder, well, you're in a heap of trouble if someone filled that with "ATF". And, lugging or, lack of speed, in relation to loose "bolts"? I'm maybe assuming you mean lug nuts. But, not sure how loose lug nuts can cause lugging or lack of speed.

Once I (we) get all the terminology cleared up, we can proceed to find solutions to what may be, more than one problem. Now, on a guess here, as has been stated, you MAY have at least one brake drum or possible caliper, that is sticking which, could cause a severe heat build up on that particular set of brakes which, would lead to a hot wheel and and tire or, set of tires if it's a set of duals. If it's drum brakes back there, they can be adjusted so they have the proper clearance and yet still operate with minimum pedal travel.

If they are discs back there, then there is NO adjustment. Disc brakes, by virtue of their operation, basically create their own needed clearance unless, there is a reason for any particular caliper to keep pressure on the pads. Such things as sticky pistons in the caliper, a clogged or deteriorating flex line leading to that particular caliper. Hope this helps some.
Scott
ATF goes in the brake booster / power steering system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #8

drum brakes
Old 09-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Champs,

Scott
Scott,
Sorry for not being complete in all details. It is a parking brake system. They called it a brake actuator that was rebuilt. (It applies the parking brakes when in park and reservoir uses atf)
The lug bolts refer to the studs that the lug nuts screw to. When I stopped camper there were 4 out of 10 lug nuts left on wheels and both tires had blown out. I am new to camping and never heard the tires blow and didnt handle differently. I was in town and start and go from stop light it was straining and I pulled over to check it.
I was just concerned that with the blowouts I didnt have any axle issues...will check brakes.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

Original post had incomplete details...sorry for the typo...and thanks again for yall input.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Scott,
Sorry for not being complete in all details. It is a parking brake system. They called it a brake actuator that was rebuilt. (It applies the parking brakes when in park and reservoir uses atf)
The lug bolts refer to the studs that the lug nuts screw to. When I stopped camper there were 4 out of 10 lug nuts left on wheels and both tires had blown out. I am new to camping and never heard the tires blow and didnt handle differently. I was in town and start and go from stop light it was straining and I pulled over to check it.
I was just concerned that with the blowouts I didnt have any axle issues...will check brakes.
Thanks
Aaaaaaahh, now I see. Thank you very much for getting back and clearing things up a bit. Now, I am by far, no expert on those GM parking brake units but, I've read on here and other RV forums that they can be a bit finicky. So, do make sure that it's operating as it's supposed to. You also state you have DRUM brakes. Well, as stated earlier, drum brakes, when adjusted correctly, provide good service with minimal brake pedal travel. But, there's way more operating components in a drum brake assembly so, an in depth inspection of those assemblies might be in order here since you've had some issues that were brake and wheel related. Just a suggestion.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

If the rear wheels were loose, the sidewalls could have been rubbing against each other causing the tires to heat up and let go.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have 2 separate issues here. If the wheels were removed and installed they should have been re torqued after a few miles. If not that would be a reason for the loose and damaged wheels and tires.
If the parking brake was worked on it most likely was not adjusted right and was dragging enough to heat the whole assembly hub drum and wheel and tires to the point of blowouts.
Your best bet is finding a good truck shop!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #14

Champs,

You have the GM Autopark system. This is a somewhat complex and sometimes troubling system used on the longer GM motorhome chassis when the "park pawl" inside the transmission isn't strong enough to hold the vehicle on a hill. The absolute best source of information and help is this: AutoPark parking brake system help, troubleshooting, and repair

The person doing this is Roger Haag, also known as Old Used Bear. He has some hearing loss so the best way to contact him is by email.

Quote:
Scott,
Sorry for not being complete in all details. It is a parking brake system. They called it a brake actuator that was rebuilt. (It applies the parking brakes when in park and reservoir uses atf) ...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote