Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #15

I had experience with Equal just last year. I bought two new steer tires for my Phaeton. The dealer used Equal instead of spin balancing. I drove off and had a terrible shimmy. I called the dealer and he said you need to drive it some more. So I drove it some more, and more, and more. It was terrible. I took it back to the dealer and had him remove the Equal. Guess what? When I drove away it was smooth as silk. Without being balanced at all.
At a Michilen seminar I attended the speaker said it is not necessary to balance 22.5" wheels. They are so heavy the small balance weights make little or no difference. Based on my experience, I believe him.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Endeavor View Post
I just had nitrogen put in all six tires and am very happy with the ride improvement as well as not needing to check the inflation as often. I was skeptical of any ride improvement claims but after three close friends swearing to improvement I tried it. Only cost $17.50 per with unlimited top offs as necessary. Well worth the cost. my 2 cents.
I recommend you read.

Pros and cons of inflating tires with nitrogen - by Douglas Black - Helium

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #17

Can anyone direct us to a scientific discussion (not marketing propaganda) on how Equal or the other aftermarket products work? I doubt it.

Anecdotal experiences are notoriously unreliable. Just look at the people claiming brown gas systems work, or the post that 99% nitrogen vs. air (79% nitrogen) in tires makes the ride better. Did the gas laws of physics recently change?

Instead of looking for miracle cures, try to find a good tech with lots of patiehnce and a modern road-force measuring balancer, like the Hunter GSP 7000 tire balancer. And unfortunately, even those are far from perfect.
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #18

Also recommend you read the above link, but for a dfferent purpose: to see how a scientific fact of minor effect is exaggerated for marketing purposes.
1. "Nitrogen has an extremely lower rate of pressure loss,"
Really? How much?
In a
G670 RV 245/70R19.5 G Goodyear tubeless tire at 85 psi, is it a 1 psi loss per month with air Vs a .95 psi loss per month with nitrogen?
2,3 & 5. How exactly does 99% nitrogen heat up less in use? And how does it keep the tire temp lower (i.e. reduce the heat generated from the friction of the cords)?
4. Any decent tire shop will use dried air, but that fact is neglected. And you can use an in-line desiccant if you use your own compressor.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
The moisture inside tire raises pressure. Dry nitrogen has no moisture.

Also the best balance is a HUNTER ROAD FORCE machine. They spin balance with 1400# roller against tire. You would be surprised how many new tires are returned because they are out of round . Only way to go.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #20

FYI: Dry air, used by any good tire dealer - or achieved with a simple in-line dessicant filter, has no moisture either.

Please explain the physics behind your statement that moisture increases tire pressure. Water of course boils at 100C at sea level, much higher temps under pressure. I'm hoping our tires don't get anywhere near that hot.

Also, the Hunter GSP9700 has the road force feature, and it's good but it is not intended to just measure unloaded tire runout, which can be done with a dial indicator. It's advantage is compressing the tread and sidewalls to determine variations in their force when on the road. However, its effect is very limited. A small roller does not equal a flat road and about 1000 lbs force does not equal the compression RV tires experience on the road. The unit tire manufacturers use is much more sophisticated. That said, I believe the Hunter 9700 can help solve some tire issues.

Here's a site to locate one nearby
Hunter GSP9700 Wheel Vibration Control System
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Yea your right. What the hell do I know
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I bought 6 new tires recently from a Commerical Truck Tire Manager that I have know for several years in my non-related business. He told me that tire dealers use beads because it is quick, cheap and highly profitable for them.

He said the only way to go is true, center and balance on a quality machine. He also said a lug-nut can put in the beads, it takes training to run the true, center and balance machines and they are expensive. Most tire dealers use lug-nuts to mount tires!