Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #1

I noticed that my steer wheels and the outer duals have no weights. The inner duals have weights. Since the coach rides very smoothly, I am guessing that the steer wheels have powder or beads in them. Maybe the outer duals also.

Anyone use the powder or bead system?

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #2

I use Dyna Beads and have for years.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #3

I installed Equal in mine with new tires last spring. Only 3K miles last year but very satisfied with the ride.
Jerry
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Eddie,

I just had my front tires rotated to the rear inner duals due to a tread wear pattern caused by a mis-aligned front end. When I asked the shop to balance all six tires during the rotation, the shop owner said I would be wasting my money. He said no one ever balances the rear axle wheels because it’s not needed. Not sure if this is 100% true or not, but he would have made more $$ if he hadn't advised against it.

Is it possible that your rear inner wheels were rotated with your front axle wheels at some point? Just a thought...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Craig,
Many suggest the rear duals do not need to be balanced. When asked, the only reason I've been told is nobody will "feel" the tires are out of balance because nobody rides in the back. I have always balanced all the tires on a coach. The bottom line is I'm the one who pays for worn suspension parts. Tires out of balance can cause accelerated wear of suspension components.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I just bought new rear tires at a "Best One" truck tire place in Montgomery AL. They automatically balanced all four w/o asking.

I presume you have aluminum wheels, and if so it is most likely that your fronts and outer duals are aluminum while the inner duals are steel. The weights used to balance the aluminum wheels are not as obvious as the weights normally used on a steel wheel. They may be "stick on", and are normally put where you won't see them when the wheel is mounted on the vehicle ...maybe you just aren't "seeing" the weights on the aluminum wheels...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #7

The inner duals are steel and will not fit on the front (aluminum Accurides.) so That is impossible.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig P.:
Eddie,

I just had my front tires rotated to the rear inner duals due to a tread wear pattern caused by a mis-aligned front end. When I asked the shop to balance all six tires during the rotation, the shop owner said I would be wasting my money. He said no one ever balances the rear axle wheels because it’s not needed. Not sure if this is 100% true or not, but he would have made more $$ if he hadn't advised against it.

Is it possible that your rear inner wheels were rotated with your front axle wheels at some point? Just a thought...

Craig

Mercedes MBE 926
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #8

Nope. Had them off for polishing. No weights on all four aluminum wheels and no evidence of any missing weights.

Quote:
Originally posted by AFChap:
I just bought new rear tires at a "Best One" truck tire place in Montgomery AL. They automatically balanced all four w/o asking.

I presume you have aluminum wheels, and if so it is most likely that your fronts and outer duals are aluminum while the inner duals are steel. The weights used to balance the aluminum wheels are not as obvious as the weights normally used on a steel wheel. They may be "stick on", and are normally put where you won't see them when the wheel is mounted on the vehicle ...maybe you just aren't "seeing" the weights on the aluminum wheels...

Mercedes MBE 926
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #9

I absolutely agree. I balance trailer tires also.

Quote:
Originally posted by GaryKD:
Hi Craig,
Many suggest the rear duals do not need to be balanced. When asked, the only reason I've been told is nobody will "feel" the tires are out of balance because nobody rides in the back. I have always balanced all the tires on a coach. The bottom line is I'm the one who pays for worn suspension parts. Tires out of balance can cause accelerated wear of suspension components.

Mercedes MBE 926
Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Had them off for polishing
Now there's a guy with way too much time AND ENERGY on his hands!!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #11

Man, I thought the SAME thing....maybe if I didn't have to work and had oodles and oodles of time on my hand, heck yeah, why not polish 'em....LOL
Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I have used Counteract Balance Beads on one coach and will be putting in ALL tires on the new coach.

Just a point on pulling the wheels to polish. Make sure you torque them to spec after running the first 50-100 miles after mounting back on the coach.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig P.:
Eddie,

Craig
If you have beads be aware that the each dual usually require 2 additional ounces of beads compared to the fronts. On my rig its 8oz of beads in each front tire and 10oz in each rear tire. If you rotate the front to the back then the dual wheel assembly will not be the same with one half of the dual having 20% more balance beads than the other. Not 100% sure of the results of mixing things up like this but.....

See:
http://www.innovativebalancing....htm#CommercialChart
Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #14

I've used Equal on two previous motorhomes and it worked fine. The only issue with it is that you have to make sure your air supply is very dry. Otherwise the normal atmospheric moisture will collect over time and can cause the stuff to "cake". I installed a desiccant filter in the hose of the small portable Black & Decker compressor I always carried.

Bill
berfle is offline   Reply With Quote