Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
haven't segulled this post will comment shortly.

Many good as well as funny suggestions... my fav is adding the pool table accessory which seems like a no brainer! gotta add one.

I have some questions when I'm back on a real keyboard...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
MH tires are not like car tires and changing is not for the faint of hart or mussels. Carry a spare tire and a cell phone.
What does a freshwater mollusk have to do with this discussion?

I have one of those. It's securely bolted to the floor in one bay of my garage. Works great, including for 16" tires like on your rig, and I've even used it for 17" truck tires (Dodge Ram), but that is putting it at the very edge of its capabilities.

As a side note, I also have the HF static (bubble) balancer. Works fine for me!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #17

When I was a "young buck" I learned to change tires on a manual machine, similar to the HF but on MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF STEROIDS. Being young, it was not to bad, but that machine would not handle any thing bigger than a 16" wheel.

Tools are better today, but the real issue is TECHNIQUE ! Tire mounting/demounting is about 33% tools, 33% muscle and 33% technique. With the right tools (I mean HAND tools) and technique the amount of muscle required goes down !

How to change a truck tire

If you are running dual wheels and the flat is on the out side, you don't even have to remove the rim ! Another outside truck tire changing video
Old 12-23-2019, 05:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Tools are better today, but the real issue is TECHNIQUE ! Tire mounting/demounting is about 33% tools, 33% muscle and 33% technique. With the right tools (I mean HAND tools) and technique the amount of muscle required goes down !
That's true. When I first got the Mojolever it befuddled me. I messed with a front tire on my ZRX until I figured it out then wondered why it took so long to dawn on me.

Once that was worked out I added the Yellow Thing and could change GL1800 rears by myself. Those are the worst motorcycle tires I've ever done. Before I retired I was a computer geek with muscles to match. It's not something so physically demanding that most of us can't do it.

After that the rear FJR is not bad, and the front is actually easy.

It also depends on the tire. I usually run Bridgestones, but I decided to try a set of Michelins a few years ago, and the front fell on so easily I almost got it on with my thumbs. Both of them were very easy to mount.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
That's true. When I first got the Mojolever it befuddled me.
The biggest thing most people forget is LUBRICATION ! Pros who do multiple tires a day, know that more is better and that dish soap and water is all you really need !

If you are looking for a portable tire changing you need to start with the simplest and easiest bead "breaker", the BeadBuster XB-450. If you really insist on changing large truck tires and don't want to swing that big sledge the guys used in the other video, get the BeadBuster XB-550. Used properly these should not mar an aluminum rim.

The problem with the Mojolever and the NoMar Mount/Demount Bar is that you need to mount the tire to a very sturdy center post stand. Not very portable. Get some KenTool spoons. Buy 3. You'll need the longest one available for truck tires.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
That's true. When I first got the Mojolever it befuddled me. I messed with a front tire on my ZRX until I figured it out then wondered why it took so long to dawn on me.

Once that was worked out I added the Yellow Thing and could change GL1800 rears by myself. Those are the worst motorcycle tires I've ever done. Before I retired I was a computer geek with muscles to match. It's not something so physically demanding that most of us can't do it.

After that the rear FJR is not bad, and the front is actually easy.

It also depends on the tire. I usually run Bridgestones, but I decided to try a set of Michelins a few years ago, and the front fell on so easily I almost got it on with my thumbs. Both of them were very easy to mount.
OK. I've officially lost it. I came here from a motorcycle forum and started talking about mounting motorcycle tires.

Never mind.

I ain't mounting no freakin' truck tires ....
Old 12-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Tools are better today, but the real issue is TECHNIQUE !
The one thing that most folks don't get right is making sure that the leading edge of the tire you're installing (or removing) is tucked deeply into the depression in the rim. That reduces the distance that the bead has to be stretched over the edge of the rim. I have found that a good pair (or two) of vise grips are like having a helper. once you get the bead started over the edge of the rim, just use the vise grips to keep that side down into the channel.

Also, warm tires are more compliant than cold ones, and low-profile tires are just hateful through and through.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #22

That tire changer was an "improvement" over using tire spoons to change tires. It is only part of the stuff required to change a tire. I think the spoons were easier than the manual tire chnager, of course you needed a large hammer to break the bead seals.

At 77, I find it easiest to use a cell phone and credit card to change a tire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:31 PM   #23

I recently bought this tire changer. I mounted mine to a concrete slab, but agree if portable is required then weld to a receiver hitch.

To make it work better, take the long bar and sand and polish the end that goes against the rim. It works WAY smoother. Also straight dish soap is needed.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #24

For the space of the tire change, just carry 2 spare tires already mounted on wheels.
On my car trailer I *always* carry 2 spares with me, DAMHIK. More than once lose one tire and then not many more miles lose another, usually on the same side.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote