Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #29

Just saw the tire chart. Really helpful. Thank you so much. Trying to post a couple pictures also. Should have done that with first post. Thanks everyone for all the posts.

Safe travels all
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #30

Check the date code on the sidewalls. If they are over 5 years old replace all the tires, and spare.
I had a tire come apart doing 55mph. It cut through the wheel well and cut a water line. I was able to do my own repaired f St obit didn’t cost me much. Many other people were not so lucky. Many campers get destroyed or severely damaged by a tire shredding at speed. The tires are deteriorated long before the tread will ever wear out.
FredP1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Two of my tires 22.5 have some weather cracking about 3-4 inches above tread in sidewall. How bad is to bad as a guideline to replace tires? They are not that olden plenty of tread on them.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions guys.

safe travels
Any crack in tire is bad it is a sign that a blowout is immenant imoo. I change tires at the first sign of sidewall cracking due to having a blowout with a tire that only showed one or two cracks in the sidewall and it caused extensive front end damage on a classic 72 plymouth I had.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Here is Goodyears take on sidewall cracking.
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...uidelines.aspx

Michelin recommended tire replacement at 10 years.
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

That's a conditional 10 years on the Michelin since starting with the fifth year you have to pay a Michelin Certified Tech to remove each tire from the rim for internal inspection and certify it safe for another years use. If they do not certify it as safe for another years use then the tires life is over. Of course you also have to pay to have them mounted and balanced again which if you actually do this may cost you more than its worth for a diminishing return on the pro-rated warranty.

Do you really want to pay for mounting and balancing 6 times in 10 years along with the 5 inspections incurring all that extra scuffing of the rims on the mounting machine especially if you have expensive aluminum rims?

Replacing them every 5 years is safest and puts the least wear and tear on the rims plus the cost will likely come pretty close to being a wash.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:28 AM   #33

Tire cracks how bad

Michelin has a cracked tire chart. With that it should stand to resin “some” tire cracking is ok?? I enclosed a few pictures. One tire has fairly long “hairline”? crack. The other tire has a few ,maybe 1/2” long cracks. None of these are very deep. As with most discussions, Ford or Chevy, guess it is in my hands. I do want to thank you all for your thoughts. Special thanks for posting the chart.

Safe travels all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F57456AB-119F-4F62-B7B1-9C1083902A56.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	305981   Click image for larger version

Name:	796E13EE-A6F6-4E7B-A846-14A3835666E1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	305982  

Name:	754D00BF-12EC-46F3-8CB7-D108D1F286D0.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	305983   Click image for larger version

Name:	89A581E0-5B1C-4519-B47E-0DE1BE9481E3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	305984  

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #34

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
That's a conditional 10 years on the Michelin since starting with the fifth year you have to pay a Michelin Certified Tech to remove each tire from the rim for internal inspection and certify it safe for another years use. If they do not certify it as safe for another years use then the tires life is over. Of course you also have to pay to have them mounted and balanced again which if you actually do this may cost you more than its worth for a diminishing return on the pro-rated warranty.

Do you really want to pay for mounting and balancing 6 times in 10 years along with the 5 inspections incurring all that extra scuffing of the rims on the mounting machine especially if you have expensive aluminum rims?

Replacing them every 5 years is safest and puts the least wear and tear on the rims plus the cost will likely come pretty close to being a wash.

To clarify.
The 10 year is a Max age. Similar with GY.
Even if you have a tire inspected and it looks OK you should replace at 10 years.
If an earlier inspection reveals a problem you should replace the tire then.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #35

Commercial Member

Quote:
Michelin has a cracked tire chart. With that it should stand to resin “some” tire cracking is ok?? I enclosed a few pictures. One tire has fairly long “hairline”? crack. The other tire has a few ,maybe 1/2” long cracks. None of these are very deep. As with most discussions, Ford or Chevy, guess it is in my hands. I do want to thank you all for your thoughts. Special thanks for posting the chart.

Safe travels all

Cracks in them selves are seldom a problem. They are a possible indicator of internal issues. You didn't say how old the tires were in the pictures but a review of the Michelin guide would suggest they are OK for now but I would watch for growth,
Depth is an important consideration as covered by the Michelin guide.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Any crack is too bad.
Absolutely NOT True :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Cracks in them selves are seldom a problem. They are a possible indicator of internal issues. You didn't say how old the tires were in the pictures but a review of the Michelin guide would suggest they are OK for now but I would watch for growth,
Depth is an important consideration as covered by the Michelin guide.
The best answer so far. Too much False information gets floating around...
Old 10-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Any crack is too bad.
Found this out the hard way at 65 mph. Especially in the heat any cracking is too much.
Pdconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Cracks in car, truck, trailer tires are one thing...

but when you have upwards of 6000 lbs or more on one coach steer tire and the road temp is in the 145 degree range...

maybe it's just me, but I'm not as much of a gambler as some

my bro-in-law (yeah that know it all one )

is still trying to get his entry door, etc... fixed correctly from his blowout...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HotAsphalt.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	306029  
Old 10-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #40

Tire cracks, how bad is TOO bad!
Bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazou7101 View Post
Tire cracks, how bad is TOO bad!
Look at the Michelin tire chart for the proper explanation.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #42

10R tires

Quote:
Two of my tires 22.5 have some weather cracking about 3-4 inches above tread in sidewall. How bad is to bad as a guideline to replace tires? They are not that olden plenty of tread on them.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions guys.

safe travels
I have 2 new 10R22.5 GY steers and 4 like new drives I would love to make a deal on if you are interested. Steers are never mounted and drives have minimal miles. I was going to do a 22.5 conversion on my GMC dually, but 2 engines and 2 sets of heads later - all cracked, funny as that is the topic - I am selling the project. Thanks Steve
Stevesteve is offline   Reply With Quote