RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 07:04 AM   #1

Tire cracks how bad is to bad?? little help please

Two of my tires 22.5 have some weather cracking about 3-4 inches above tread in sidewall. How bad is to bad as a guideline to replace tires? They are not that olden plenty of tread on them.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions guys.

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Two of my tires 22.5 have some weather cracking about 3-4 inches above tread in sidewall. How bad is to bad as a guideline to replace tires? They are not that olden plenty of tread on them.

safe travels
To me any crack is bad. Time to replace IMO. Tread means nothing when a sidewall blowout occurs.
Tires aren't cheap but neither are the repairs for damage a blowout at speed can cause say nothing about the dangers to life and property a blowout can cause.
Lynn
Old 10-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #3

How old is "not that old"?. What are the manufacture dates? 5 to 7 years from manufacture is pretty much the limit from what I remeber. My MH the Goodyear tires were notorious for cracking (lots of discussions on this site for that). Go to a reputable truck tire dealer and ask them what they think. You'd be surprised how many will tell you you don't need to replace tires if you really don't have to.

All that said, I'd be thinking about replacing them depending on the nature of the cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
To me any crack is bad. Time to replace IMO. Tread means nothing when a sidewall blowout occurs.
Tires aren't cheap but neither are the repairs for damage a blowout at speed can cause say nothing about the dangers to life and property a blowout can cause.
Lynn
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #4

Commercial Member

Most sidewall cracking is cosmetic in nature but the size and depth can be considered an indicator of the condition of the internal tire structure you can not see.

jondrew55's suggestion is the best thing to do. If you have tires larger than 16" then go to a truck tire dealer for your brand tire as not all passenger car dealers have experience with heavy duty tires.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #5

Any cracks would be cause for concern to me, especially on steer tires.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #6

Here is Goodyears take on sidewall cracking.
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...uidelines.aspx

Michelin recommended tire replacement at 10 years.
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #7

Butch, you didn't say what brand of tires you have. But, for a rough guide, find a Michelin dealer. Michelin has a little card with (IIRC) images of 6 different levels of cracking next to a hole for each level. You hold the card next to your tire to compare your tire to the image and advice for each level.

Quote:

safe travels
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a tire cracking chart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire cracking chart.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	304390  
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any crack is too bad.

Quote:

safe travels
Old 10-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #10

My understanding is the sidewall is a thick layer of rubber meant to protect the tire carcass from curb rubbing damage. It is not part of the tire strength structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anatomy-of-a-tire-diagram.png
Views:	17
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	304496  
Old 10-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #11

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My understanding is the sidewall is a thick layer of rubber meant to protect the tire carcass from curb rubbing damage. It is not part of the tire strength structure.

Correct. In fact when designing race tires I had no sidewall rubber added because race cars do not parallel park.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #12

Question How old were they?

Without know the age of the OP's tires most of this discussion is pure speculation. Leaves me wondering why their age was not part of the original post???

Often tires "Time out" before they wear out. Any tire over 5 years old should be inspected by professionals and for the record I will never own a tire older than 5 years {YMMV}.

A year ago I had lost track of the age of my tires {my bad} on our 24' Class C. They were all top of the line Michelin LT's and as is my practice I had them inspected/aired up to the proper psi for the load I was running the day before our tip to Ehrenburg on the Colorado River. Discount tire said they were fine, plenty of tread and no visible issues.

About 40 miles west of Phoenix out on I-10 the drivers side/outside dually grenaded! I got well off of the shoulder, put out the emergency triangles and called CoachNet. i carry a mounted spare but being in the "Dead Zone" I waited for a pro to change it out.

Initially the damage appeared minor but once we got it into a repair facility upon returning home the total came to $4,181 as the explosion had driven the wheel well right up through the floor of our coach. That tire was 5.5 years old as were two others, the remaining 3 were only 2 years old. When we left Ehrenburg I went through Yuma and bought three new Michelin's. GEICO was great, paying for all of the damages less my $500 deductible but they did pay for the blown tire
{$250} so I was only out $250 of the deductible.

In the spirit of full disclosure I should point out that few areas of the country are harder on tires than southern Arizona and we use our coach a lot - 65,000+ miles over the last 7+ years. As usual I was was towing my cargo trailer loaded to 2,600# and running right at our GVWR of 11,500#. It could have b been a lot worse as we often are well off of the grid and I was able to get off of the highway safely, had that been a front tire it might not have ended well.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #13

Although I don't have Michelin tires on my motorhome, I have had them on my cars and have been very satisfied with their performance. At the same time, in viewing the thumbnails of what cracking Michelin considers acceptable or unacceptable, there is this little voice in my head saying "Hmmmm.....and this is coming from the company whose motorhome tires have had issues with sidewall cracking!!!

I have an inkling that if it were me, and the tires were 5 years old or older, I'd bite the bullet and get them replaced. Or, at the minimum, have the two tires with cracks paired with two other tires on the rear axle. If monitored (TPMS), you would be able to detect when the tire starts leaking or failing, and if it goes flat, at least you would have the other tire maintaining axle height and preventing damage unless the tire starts falling apart and throwing debris and belts around which could cause damage.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Correct. In fact when designing race tires I had no sidewall rubber added because race cars do not parallel park.
Really? I sure didn't know tires could be built without sidewall rubber! Always glad to learn something new.