Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

Tire inflation air compressor

I am considering a portable tire inflation compressor. The Interdynamics 120v power air looks like it will do the job and is priced right, about $40. I'd like to have something available on board since gas station air is not always easy to reach with the RV. At the same time needing air is a "once in a while" event and not something I want to spend a lot on.

Has anyone used one? Opinions?

One specific possible problem that I noticed is that the inflation chuck is permanently fixed on the air hose. You can not replace it with a dual-footed chuck to reach the outer dually tire. That being said, the chuck provided does have a lever to lock it on the valve and it LOOKS like it might manage to be attached to the outer wheel. The package in the store is sealed and so I can't take it out to try it first. I'm hoping someone else may have already tried.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Hi John,

Take a look at this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f86/air-c...ors-57497.html

It may provide some useful information for you.

Wayne
Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #3

You can probably cut the factory fitting off the hose and add your preferred end to the hose (like the dual footed type). You could even change the end for a quick connect chuck type then use any type of fitting you choose.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A small compressor like that won't deliver much volume of air at higher pressures. If you need more than a pound or two at something like 80-100 psi, you could spend quite a while waiting for it to pump it up.

It's simple to deliver high output pressures but not to produce a large air flow (CFM). That takes more hardware and that's where the low priced compressors fall down.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Having had a portable compressor lock up and strip the geartrain while topping up the spare on the side of Interstate 45 after a blowout, my only advice would be:

If you're going to rely on it to get you out of a jam, don't cheap out! I now carry a Campbell Hausfeld pancake (tankless) compressor.

JM2CW

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #6

There is a nice compact DeWalt compressor @ HD that has a tank pressure of 200psi, and a Rigid that goes 175psi. These two are good choices for tire pressures; each has regulator to dial down the output pressure.
Also, you can permanently mount either by dividing the tanks & regulator & compressor into parts, & replumbing as needed for your space. I'm thinking of installing the DeWalt compressor plus regulator/gauge package but going to a remote aluminum tank for weight and putting the gauges/switch control where they are handy. The space behind my steering box is just wasted otherwise; why not carry a real compressor there with an air chuck plumbed to the front & one to the rear patio side?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've tried a number of small compressors and found them all wanting. I just purchased a 12 volt, high volume, 150 psi compressor from Harbor Freight and used it yesterday to top off all my tires. I like it so far. Take a look.http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
Check out the Air Lift air compressor. It's pricy, but works VERY well. It comes will all the fittings, extra hose, gauges and is a very small unit that is easy on storage space.
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Floridaguy

I found that compressor in the Harborfreight Insiders Track section for $49.95. Ordered it streight away.

Dick
Old 10-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #10

Check out VIAIR compressor. they are pricy but they will do the job. Check out Amazon and read the comments. I have used those cheap models over the years and they take forever to add 2 or 3 pound to an RV tire, plus they won't last.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the Harbor Freight compressor that I purchased, I also bought their 2 year replacement plan for ten bucks because I've also burned out a number of the cheap ones. In the store where I bought it, the clerk said even if I think it might not be running correctly before the two year point, bring it back and get a new one.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
I agree with Bruce H; I too have bought a less expensive tank type compressor and it is now it's in my garage. Spend your hard earned bucks on a tankless compressor that will go at least 150 psi. Good luck!
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just took a look at the viair 150 psi model. It looks and has similar specs to the Harbor Freight model I posted a link to. With the 2 year replacement plan it looks like it MIGHT save you $100.