Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire inflation extension

I am aware of the recomendation for the use of a long air hose fill extension when airing up the tires as recommended by Ford and others for safety. Where the heck does one get such a thing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DSouthw524,
Almost all RV dealers carry them, along with most automotive stores. I would recommend the metal mesh ones. Here is an example of what they look like:

Valve Extensions (Bolded Link)

I think that is what you are looking for.

A google search on "valve extension" will get a lot of results.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that is the kind of extension DSouthw524 was asking about, Wayne. It is now recommended that you do not stay by the tire when adding air - in case the tire fails and explodes. Instead you should be 15-20 feet away, basically using a long filler hose that clamps to the valve and has the trigger/valve at the other end, so you do not have to be physically adjacent to the tire. I don't know where to buy such a thing. Professional tire shop suppliers probably have them, but the longest I have seen online is a 6 foot hose. Might be enough to save a life, but longer would be better.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
This will probably ignite a Mother Hood, Apple Pie and Safety At All Costs argument but the most critical time inflating a tire is after it is first mounted on the rim during tire build up. At that time, a tire cage and extended inflation hose with gauge, referred to by Gary in the above comment, is definitely a must from a safety standpoint. In the real world of fleet operations, a tire blowing when air pressure is being adjusted in normal tire/air pressure maintenance is extremely rare. Can it happen? Has it ever happened? Yes! And those failures are usually associated with a "zipper" failure - damage to the bead area usually caused by running a tire in an under inflated condition.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I am talking about the kind used to fill the tire to top off when needed. I think of the safety warning when doing it and also after reading on the site about the dangers of "zippered" tires and the nasty results.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DSouthW524,

Here is the type tool you need:

The internal threaded collar will "lock" the chuck onto the valve stem with just the slightest pressure on to the filling hose-- Then walk away from it while it fills the tire. Make sure your air source is regulated and set to the pressure you desire. I purchased the one in the picture about 5 years ago at NAPA (I think).

This is where you can get one--$11 bucks----

Good luck,
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Think you are looking for one of these (also available in a 3' hose for slightly less $$)

http://www.gemplers.com/product/HI40...huck-6-ft-Hose
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote