Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 09:39 PM   #15
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDColley View Post
I was just on Costcoís website. It appears that they donít sell 19.5 tires, unless Iím missing something.
I know that years ago, they actually used to stock 19.5 and 22.5 tires. I remember seeing XRV's at several Costco locations.

iRV2 thread from 2011: Sam's Club & Costco 22.5 Tires

However, even if they no longer actually have them in stock, I believe they can still order them for you.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #16

A few years back I bought 6 new 22.5 inch tires from Costco. The auto/tire manager guaranteed they could mount them. The next morning I got a call from a different manager indicating they could not mount them because their mounting machine was not made for that size tire. Costco canceled my order. I then went to a large truck tire center for the replacement tires.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
A few years back I bought 6 new 22.5 inch tires from Costco. The auto/tire manager guaranteed they could mount them. The next morning I got a call from a different manager indicating they could not mount them because their mounting machine was not made for that size tire. Costco canceled my order. I then went to a large truck tire center for the replacement tires.

Mounting machine? A person with 2 steel bars and a container of soap water.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Point View Post
I bought a new set of 225 70R19.5 tires and installation at Costco in Gypsum, CO to replace the current tires. They don't have room to remove the wheels from the RV, but when I purchased the tires, I was told to just bring in the wheels, which I have already removed from the RV, and they would mount them. Now the folks at Costco say they won't mount them because 19.5-inch tires are unsafe and may blowup. Has anyone had this problem at other Costco warehouses or is this a local problem?
Tell them they are full of crap. All tires not safe if you don't know what you are doing. They should have a cage to place the tires into so they can inflate them. Besides, great number of 2/4 and 1 ton Pickup trucks use 19.5" tires. Are they saying they don't cater to farmers with pickups????
Old 09-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #19
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Mounting machine? A person with 2 steel bars and a container of soap water.
In my 45 years of driving trucks I only saw one shop that had a tire mounting machine. Wish I had a dollar for every flat I had.

Wonder what Costco would have said if they were told they were split rims. "What is a split rim?" comes to mind.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:19 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Point View Post
I bought a new set of 225 70R19.5 tires and installation at Costco in Gypsum, CO to replace the current tires. They don't have room to remove the wheels from the RV, but when I purchased the tires, I was told to just bring in the wheels, which I have already removed from the RV, and they would mount them. Now the folks at Costco say they won't mount them because 19.5-inch tires are unsafe and may blowup. Has anyone had this problem at other Costco warehouses or is this a local problem?
Forget Costco for tires - they seem to try their best to refuse business in the name of safety, where a real tire shop will apply themselves to fix the problem and still be safe. Twice I have had Costco tell me that they would not continue to work on my Dodge Dakota because they want me to replace all 24 lug nuts, this because the chrome beauty caps came off, so use an 18mm instead of a 19mm, duh. Then on another visit they called because they couldnt get a lug nut off, saying it must be cross threaded, and asked that I pick it up, and go to a shop and get it fixed. I backed off all of the nuts by hand and snugged them up lightly so that the poor babies didn't have to hurt themselves removing them. They were not cross threaded, for that matter they were the last shop to put the wheels on. The last time, I went it to get a tire repaired for a small leak from a nail, only to be told I need a new tire cause there was in fact 3 leaks... then I took it to a real tire shop and they explained that it is just the one leak but it is appearing in 3 places as it apparently can travel in the outer layer. Anyways, they plugged the one small hole and a year later tire is still good. Again, a real tire shop that knows what they are doing.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Our local Goodyear Tiresource has replaced our TT tires twice. No hassle at all. They have a dedicated area with an overhang tall enough to accommodate. We ordered the tires online and they shipped to store.
Susie410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The problem with buying tires at Costco that donít fit a Toyota Camry is they have no experience mounting big tires. The reason is last week the guy mounting tires was in the meat department
Rog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:42 PM   #23

Spartan Chassis
I worked in tire manufacturing for over 30 years and we made commercial truck/trailer tires. I am not sure how many people know that a tire coming out of the curing press is inflated to the set psi while it cools down. OSHA regulations required any PSI above a certain level had to be inflated in a steel cage. I've been retired many years but I believe the threshold was 85 PSI. BTW, I have seen tires blow inside the cage and actually lift the cage off the ground a couple of inches. That's one reason why those working in the curing room were required to wear hearing protection.They may not have the cage to inflate the tires in.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Costco has given me some lame excuse why they couldn't put tires on my '04 Dodge dually 3500 the last few times I took it in for tires. I managed to get them to sell and install 2 new front tires at the beginning of the year. Went back a couple of months later for the rears, and they told me they couldn't work on a dually, plus they didn't sell tires in that size. I asked how long that had been a policy, and the guy said he had worked there for 3 years and the policy was in effect when he started. I gave him my receipt for the 2 front tires two month's prior, asked him to tell me the date, vehicle description and tire size. His reply was "I don't know what to tell you". I told him that someone in the tire department obviously didn't know what they were talking about and I'd never buy tires from Costco again. I wound up calling a few local tire shops, and it seemed none of them wanted to work on a dually. I went on line to Tire Rack and they had the tires I wanted in stock. They also had an installer 9 miles from my house. Tires were shipped mounted and balanced the following day.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:20 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I worked in tire manufacturing for over 30 years and we made commercial truck/trailer tires. I am not sure how many people know that a tire coming out of the curing press is inflated to the set psi while it cools down. OSHA regulations required any PSI above a certain level had to be inflated in a steel cage. I've been retired many years but I believe the threshold was 85 PSI. BTW, I have seen tires blow inside the cage and actually lift the cage off the ground a couple of inches. That's one reason why those working in the curing room were required to wear hearing protection.They may not have the cage to inflate the tires in.
Good info!
Old 10-01-2022, 06:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
You piqued my interest and I read the OSHA regulations on mounting truck tires. Looks like a cage or barrier is always required for large truck type tires after mounting a tire on a rim and inflating it for the first time. There were many other requirements to from using a clip on air chuck to employee training.
https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/f...rt-booklet.pdf

Thanks for making me learn something new!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #27

I used to buy 19.5” tires at Costco for a previous motorhome I owned with no issues. It didn’t fit in the shop so they did the work out in the parking lot. When I needed tires for my current motto home, Costco initially said they would order the 19.5” with no issues. Upon further review, they cancelled the order when I wanted to verify that they could remove and install the lug nuts. Turned out they don’t have air guns and torque wrenches to deal with the 475 lbs-ft. I’ve now replaced the tires twice but never again checked to see if any changes the available required equipment.

Additionally, with all the safety protocols, it wouldn’t surprise me if they only install on vehicles inside the shop or other concerns brought up in the thread. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #28

Why is everyone upset with Costco. They are not a HD truck tire shop period. Go see the experts at a big tire shop
Would you go to pep boys for Cummins in fame rebuild kit ?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire