Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2022, 07:48 PM   #1

Question Tire mounting at Costco tire centers

I bought a new set of 225 70R19.5 tires and installation at Costco in Gypsum, CO to replace the current tires. They don't have room to remove the wheels from the RV, but when I purchased the tires, I was told to just bring in the wheels, which I have already removed from the RV, and they would mount them. Now the folks at Costco say they won't mount them because 19.5-inch tires are unsafe and may blowup. Has anyone had this problem at other Costco warehouses or is this a local problem?
Red Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2022, 10:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heck, I cud not even get (national brand-x tire/auto center) to mount NEW tire and replace valve stem on my 27-yo mini-donut spare (that I got new rubber on Amazon, after they told me they had no source for it); finally, I walked out and took it home and did it myself. AMAZING, THEY LOST THOUSANDS $$, THAT was their 3rd strike.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Point View Post
I bought a new set of 225 70R19.5 tires and installation at Costco in Gypsum, CO to replace the current tires. They don't have room to remove the wheels from the RV, but when I purchased the tires, I was told to just bring in the wheels, which I have already removed from the RV, and they would mount them. Now the folks at Costco say they won't mount them because 19.5-inch tires are unsafe and may blowup. Has anyone had this problem at other Costco warehouses or is this a local problem?

I would say that places like Costco, Sams club
and most auto tire stores don’t have the ability to change big truck tires. Try a mobile truck tire guy to come out.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:00 AM   #4

I would price the mounting at truck tire center and explain the cost difference to Costco which has extremely low price for mount, balance and often road hazard . Maybe you can get refund for balance and break on tires . It huge chain I would get my hopes up more than mount and balance refund. It's bogus you spent your time to do the work and travel to still be left empty handed ....sounds like my luck dealing with too many places.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Point View Post

not to sound like a jerk but, why buy tires at a place that cannot install them?
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a reason truck tire places exist. Can you return the tires and buy from a place that understands big tires?
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have run into Discount tire and NTB that will m=not fill a tire above 80 PSIG. I run my trailer tires at 105 PSIG and finished filling them with my ViAir compressorr in the parking lot before moving the trailer. Some tire places put my 17.5 inch truck tires in a safety cage to fill them to 65 or 70 PSIG.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
not to sound like a jerk but, why buy tires at a place that cannot install them?
Read the OP post again. They said they would mount them if he brought the wheels in.

If they can’t do 19.5” rims, then how am I gunna get those 28’s on my hoopty.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #9

I think just an employee at Costco who made a mistake, or didn't want to so no. I have asked them before and they said no, so fine I went to a truck tire shop. Just move on from this learning experience.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #10

Do you think anyone stays working at a tire joint long enough to become an expert? We know the owners/managers are good at selling.
How many installers are aware of indexing? How many installers will break a tire down and rotate it on the rim when the balancer is indicating a gross amount of correction?
Old 09-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrflie View Post
Read the OP post again. They said they would mount them if he brought the wheels in.

If they can’t do 19.5” rims, then how am I gunna get those 28’s on my hoopty.

Op said they would not mount them because they could blow up.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:37 PM   #12

Do you have a real old RV with split rims ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #13

I don't think the reason they told you that they'd "blow up" was because they are 19.5" as plenty of RVs and trucks use a 19.5" size.

There has to be another reason. First, see the screenshot below as to their mounting policy. They must meet OEM size requirements. Therefore, if you are asking them to mount a smaller size than the OE/OEM size or an alternate size not authorized by the manufacturer, then they consider it "unsafe" and will not mount.

Or, if the speed rating does not meet or exceed the manufacturer's OE/OEM tire

And finally, the "load index" must also meet or exceed the manufacturer's OE/OEM tire.

Are you sure that all those things are satisfied?

But when you think about it, Costco may have a rule that the vehicle must be present in order to mount a tire on a rim as they have no idea what vehicle it's going to be used on if a customer just brings in a rim and wants a tire mounted on it even though they sold the tire. The employee who sold you the tires may not have known that ...I don't know.

The two alternatives you're left with doing is to 1) return the tires to Costco for a refund and go to a local tire shop and ask them to come as close to the Costco price as possible for the tires and mounting. Or 2) keep the tires and as others have said, go to a local tire shop and get a quote to mount them. However, other tires shops may have similar requirements as to the vehicle actually being there as, again, they have no idea what vehicle it's going to be used for so may want to cover themselves pertaining to liability purposes as Costco is doing.

Therefore, the best suggestion i would think is to return the tires to Costco and start over again somewhere else.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	costco inntall any size tire.png
Views:	41
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	377179  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #14

I was just on Costco’s website. It appears that they don’t sell 19.5 tires, unless I’m missing something.
KDColley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire