Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #1

Tire Pressure-Am I reading the chart correctly?

Good afternoon:

Recently purchased a Renegade Verona LE 40 LRB. Based on what I read here, I stopped at a certified CAT scale on the way home. The coach was full of water( 100 gallons, water is under the bed at the back of the coach and goes from the center to the left side) also both the black and gray (75 gallons each, left side) were reading about 1/3 full. We also had loaded the coach up with a number of items that will always be on the coach. The scale was less than 5 miles from my place of purchase. Results from the scale=steer axle 12,400, Drive axle 18820.

What I did next, based on this forum was have all four corners weighed. Before weighing we added more items that will stay on the coach. During the corner weighing the freshwater was once again full, however, but both the black and gray were empty. Results of the 4 corner weighing:

LF=6400, RF=5800 (total front 12,200); LR=10600, RR 8400 (total rear 19000), total weigh was 31,200.

Tires= Front Bridgestone 295/75R22.5 R283A Load rating H, Rears= 295/75R22.5

When I purchased the coach the tires were at 120 front, 110 rears. I check them before every trip and they remain at those pressures.

If I am reading the Bridgestone chart correctly I could/should be running the fronts at 105 (15 pounds lower). I could also run the rears as low as 105.

Even if I am reading the Bridgestone chart correctly what would I gain by dropping the tire pressures on the front and/or the rear?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #2

If your reading the chart correctly -

Smoother ride
More even tire wear across the tread of each tire.

My gut feel tells me you need shift some weight on your rear axle to get a better balance.

Personally I feel itís better to travel with all but fuel tank empty. 100 gallons of water is another 825 pounds your lugging around.

Depending on your freshwater tank design (but similar logic for your gray and black tanks) all that weight sloshing around puts quite a bit of stress on plastic tanks, mostly when you have a sudden slowdown or stop.

Baffles in the tanks would minimize the slosh, but baffles in black and gray tanks are self-defeating.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Full water tanks donít slosh around. They also add weight low in the chassis thus lowering the center of gravity (how much varies by MH and location of the tank). I just know more weight makes for a steadier ride in windy weather.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Based on your weight, it looks like you should move some weight from the street side to the curb side....street side is carrying nearly a ton and a half more weight.

Find the correct TP from the tire charts, select the weight closest to the higher of the two sides, use the high weight, (left or right) and add 10% (or 10 pounds).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #5

I thought someone might comment on the weight distribution... here is the problem/issue.

In my coach the following items are on the drivers side: two batteries (engine), two 8D house batteries, inverter, a residential refrigerator, both black and gray tanks (non issue, when empty), both toilets, the entire kitchen counter top surface, two slide outs, and a large screen TV, as previously mentioned the fresh water storage is from the center of the coach to the left side. Honestly there is not a lot of "open" outside storage on the right side. Prior to getting weighed at the CAT scales I didn't add anything to the left side of the coach, other than water. Any items I placed in the coach were in the right side, exterior storage bays. Inside other than some pots and pans we haven't place much additional weight on the left side.

Unless I start reconfiguring the interior layout of the coach I am not sure what I can do to make a significant difference (other than travelling with no water.)

Having said all that I am certainly open to suggestions...
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #6

I meant to say there is not a lot of "open" storage on the left side in the outside bays.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
I thought someone might comment on the weight distribution... here is the problem/issue.

In my coach the following items are on the drivers side: two batteries (engine), two 8D house batteries, inverter, a residential refrigerator, both black and gray tanks (non issue, when empty), both toilets, the entire kitchen counter top surface, two slide outs, and a large screen TV, as previously mentioned the fresh water storage is from the center of the coach to the left side. Honestly there is not a lot of "open" outside storage on the right side. Prior to getting weighed at the CAT scales I didn't add anything to the left side of the coach, other than water. Any items I placed in the coach were in the right side, exterior storage bays. Inside other than some pots and pans we haven't place much additional weight on the left side.

Unless I start reconfiguring the interior layout of the coach I am not sure what I can do to make a significant difference (other than travelling with no water.)

Having said all that I am certainly open to suggestions...

Wow! Must have been a designer who didnít understand chassis weight distribution/balance.

With the fresh water tank being center/left, running full is both good and bad. Good for lowering the Cg but bad for added weight. Problem with running full of water is it shifts the Cg left of center on a coach that already has a left of center Cg balance.

Good you 4 corner weighed it and youíve got the tire manufacturers data.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 2004 Mobile Suites 36 ft 5th wheel when I was weighing rv's by wheel position was 1,200 lbs heavier on the driver side than the passenger side. Mostly built that way. We found many new rv's having 1,200 to 2,000 lb difference side to side, with almost nothing the owner can do to even the weights out. All you can do is know the proper tire pressures needed to safely run down the road. And now you do with having the 4 corner weighing like you did.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #9

Thanks for all the responses. I will make sure I monitor the tire pressures, adjust them accordingly and when adding anything to the coach try and store it on the right side.

P.S. In my original post I said I have a 100 gallon freshwater tank, it is actually 150 (1251 lbs). Since it will be primarily only my wife and I traveling, I probably don't need to drive with the freshwater tank topped off. traveling from place to place will save me more than 600 lbs.

Again thanks for the responses.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Based on your weight, it looks like you should move some weight from the street side to the curb side....street side is carrying nearly a ton and a half more weight.

Find the correct TP from the tire charts, select the weight closest to the higher of the two sides, use the high weight, (left or right) and add 10% (or 10 pounds).

Another cause of side to side imbalance is out of spec RIDE HEIGHT. Certainly worth the few minutes to verify it is correct per your chassis maker's specs.

Tags
tire, tire pressure