Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #1

I'm trying to research tire pressure monitoring systems before I buy new tires for my 99Adventurer.Searched rv.net and irv2.com forums and the consensus seems to be:

PressurePro and TireSentry mount onto the valve stem and can cause problems (stem needs to be steel or the centrifugal force from the weight of the monitor damages the stem; must remove to add air and the o-ring can get damaged--people carry spares because air can leak).PressurePro batteries are supposed to last 3 years but aren't user replacable. TireSentry batteries are user replacable, but I think someone said they're heavy because there are 2 per sensor.

SmarTire is sold by Camping World and is the most expensive system (saw one on ebay,just about as expensive).If anyone knows a less expensive source, I'd like to know.Sensor is strapped onto the wheel before mounting tire and reports both temp and pressure.I think the batteries are supposed to last a long time so you don't have to remove the tire to change it.

Tire-Safe Guard is one I just found out about but can't find any user comments other than testimonials on their own site (TireSafeGuard.com or their mother company Trikor.com).Their system for 6 tires is considerably cheaper than SmarTire, is available with sensors either (1) in a cap on the valve stem (with a bypass so you don't remove it to add air), or (2) built into a valve stem, or (3) on a strap-on for the wheel.Reports both temp and pressure (but the guy answering their phone said the ones on the valve stem can only report ambient temp in the area near the stem). This product won 2006 Product of the Year at SEMA in Vegas. I would love to see some input on these...
KathyDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #2

I'm trying to research tire pressure monitoring systems before I buy new tires for my 99Adventurer.Searched rv.net and irv2.com forums and the consensus seems to be:

PressurePro and TireSentry mount onto the valve stem and can cause problems (stem needs to be steel or the centrifugal force from the weight of the monitor damages the stem; must remove to add air and the o-ring can get damaged--people carry spares because air can leak).PressurePro batteries are supposed to last 3 years but aren't user replacable. TireSentry batteries are user replacable, but I think someone said they're heavy because there are 2 per sensor.

SmarTire is sold by Camping World and is the most expensive system (saw one on ebay,just about as expensive).If anyone knows a less expensive source, I'd like to know.Sensor is strapped onto the wheel before mounting tire and reports both temp and pressure.I think the batteries are supposed to last a long time so you don't have to remove the tire to change it.

Tire-Safe Guard is one I just found out about but can't find any user comments other than testimonials on their own site (TireSafeGuard.com or their mother company Trikor.com).Their system for 6 tires is considerably cheaper than SmarTire, is available with sensors either (1) in a cap on the valve stem (with a bypass so you don't remove it to add air), or (2) built into a valve stem, or (3) on a strap-on for the wheel.Reports both temp and pressure (but the guy answering their phone said the ones on the valve stem can only report ambient temp in the area near the stem). This product won 2006 Product of the Year at SEMA in Vegas. I would love to see some input on these...
Old 02-10-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
KathyDeR, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sorry I cannot help much on the tire pressure topic but hopefully one of our other members can. I will put a short cut up to our New Members section so others can welcome you and spread the word about your question. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can. If you have any questions just ask. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:58 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kathy,
I have had the PressurePro system since 4Q 2005. The information in your OP is accurate. I'd like to let you know why I purchased the Pressure Pro system, after doing the same research you mentioned. These are personal preference items. Each must decide what is important to them.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>I prefer not to have the system inside the tire. If power for the sensors is inside the tire, a coordinated event needs to take place when changing tires to change the sensor power source at the same time. This keeps tire removal/remounting/rebalancing and cost to a minimum.
<LI>Appliances with batteries and me have never gotten along. The batteries may or may not last a long time. When the power source nolonger opperates, the tire must be removed/remounted/rebalanced to replace the sensor power source. This costs $s.
<LI>I am sensitive to tire maintenance. I read much more about tires being incorrectly mounted/balanced than I do about leaking sensors. Once my tires are running smooth, I do not want anything disrupting the mounting/balancing of the tires. I would rather follow PressurePro's replacement process.
<LI>Once installed inside the tire, the sensor batteries can not be turned off. With PressurePro, the sensors can be turned off, extending battery life.
<LI>With PressurePro (purchased after January 2006) one can have reduced worry about sensor leaking. They changed their manufacturing process. To ensure long battery life, if the coach is not going to be used for a while I just loosen the sensor, but leave it on the valve stem. This turns off the sensor and conserves battery life.
<LI>My tires need additional air once or twice a year. Removing the sensor to add air is the same as temoving the valve stem cap. It is no problem.
<LI>I want steel valve stems on my coach and toad. If they do not have them I have steel stems installed.
<LI>Once the sensor seal makes contact with the valve stem air will be heard escaping from the tire. Continue turning the sensor until the air stops escaping. Turn 1/4 additional turn and stop. The sensors will not leak and the system will work as advertised.
<LI>I have had outstanding service from PressurePro durning and after the warranty period.[/list]
Good luck on making your decision. For me, having a tire monitoring system for coach and toad brings peace of mind. If gives me one less thing to worry about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #5

Thanks, GaryKD, for your thoughtful response--you make some very good points. Another in the plus column for PressurePro is that I could add the system after getting the much-needed tires and not "hold up the show".
Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Sentry - I like it.
Several trips over several years with Tire Sentry, never a problem. Installed on Adventurer 35U, W22 and toad. Great peace of mind. Fine product.
I looked into what's available and decision was made on the following.
NO SHIPPING BACK AND FORTH FOR battery replacement. Batteries must be easily replaced by me where and when required, or when I want to years from now. Walk into a local store and buy your battery where ever you are. Must know condition of tire BEFORE RV/TIRE is moved/rolled (tire pressure is monitored even while parked).
----------
Batteries are inexpensive and are purchased at any Drug, Convenience, Hardware store, etc. Locally priced at about $3 each or Internet as low as $1.62 each and these are for the long life Silver Oxide battery. Inexpensive to stock to have when you need them.

Batteries are at full "off" until a tire requires attention = long battery life.
All tires (10 in my case) are all on display. A quick glance is all it takes.
Each tire position is "Fully Adjustable (set) to the low pressure you want to be warned of".
If I have a 5 lb pressure drop in any tire pressure, I want to know about it, so I have my tires set at 5 lbs over recommended pressure. A 5 lb drop (to standard tire pressure) from any tire lights that tire position on the dash display along with audible warning. A tire is "never run below" recommended tire pressure before a warning is given.
Since batteries are at full "off" until a tire requires attention, this equals long battery life.
When a battery reaches a "low battery condition", that tire position becomes lit along with a "low battery" display. A low battery tire position is still operational for several weeks providing plenty of time for battery replacement at my convenience.

Once I have my tires inflated to the proper cold pressure, I could care less about tire pressure other than "if or when" a tire drops to standard recommended tire pressure. Until that happens, I know that I'm ok.

Pics available below.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Good post Gary. I now feel like I have a handle on Pressure Pro. I will be buying it shortly.

I can tell you that after my problems w/my tires, wheels and loss of PSI, this system will certainly ease my mind.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #8

Kathy,
I have been using PressurePro on my Motorhome and toad since July 2005.
I'd just like to respond to a couple of your concerns about PressurePro.
My mh has steel valve stems, but my toad has rubber. I haven't had any problems with the rubber ones.
You mentioned people carry spares because air can leak. I suppose they can, but mine don't. I don't carry spares.
You do have to remove them to add air and this is a little extra work, but I don't have to add air very often. Usually only once in the beginning of summer and winter.
What works well for me is if I am not going anywhere for a while I remove the sensors and put them in an egg crate marked for each wheel position. Then when I'm ready to travel again I check the air pressure and replace the sensors. Simple job and it extends battery life.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #9

I just installed the Doran Pressure Pro system on my coach and toad (10 wheels). Doran is the exact same system as Pressure Pro, they just put their name on it and supposedly improve the way the manuals are written (from what Doran told me). I did all the research you have done, and selected the Pressure Pro for many of thre same reasons others have mentioned above. However, there was one other very important consideration that caused me to not consider the Smart Tire system: I already have an OEM tire pressure system on my toad (Jeep Grand Cherokee) that is installed inside the tire like the Smart Tire system. To use Smart Tire on my Jeep, I'd have to remove and disable the excellent OEM system on my Jeep, which I have no desire to do. The Pressure Pro system works without having to remove or disable the Jeep OEM system. They do not interfere with each other.

Installation of the Pressure Pro was a breeze. I also installed the wireless repeater in the back of my coach to ensure a strong signal from the Jeep to the monitor. The sensors that screw on the valve stems are very tight and do not leak at all (as mentioned earlier, they did re-engineer these some time back due to some problems they were having with intermittent leaks). I am very impressed with the system. It is great to be able to simply press a button on the monitor and view every tires pressure on the coach and toad. Doesn't matter if the coach is parked or moving, hot or cold tire, etc.

With all that said, I will say that the Smart Tire system is technically the best overall TPMS system if money is not an object and you can accept the other negatives that come with that system. But based on cost, ease of installation, future maintenance (battery replacement) and in my case, conflict with my Jeep's OEM system, I believe the Pressure Pro system is an excellent choice. Doran had a 10% off sale recently (when I bought my system), and free shipping. I picked up the complete 10 wheel system with a wireless echo repeater (a $95 list price option) for about $700. I was also very impressed with their customer service when I called to get more technical info before I made my purchase decision.
Pinemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #10

Here is our experience

TPMS

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tire Sentry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have used Tire Sentry for 6 years and it has saved my ***. I was leaving home heading south in a snow storm when it started letting me know I had a low left rear toad tire - I had just checked them that day. I hesitated but then stopped into a tire shop I was passing and found out that the stem had failed.
I have transfered the unit from one coach to another. The factory reset the pressures and changed out all the batteries (user can do) all for about $45.00.
I have looked at the other manufacturers and each one is less user friendly or requires removal of the tire - damaged beads or returning the units to the factory for battery replacement or they are ugly big units that stick on the dash. It is also easy to install in the dash (2' hole) and 12 volt power.
I recommend the Tire Sentry because it works and is user friendly.
Hope this helps.