Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 12:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire Selection Criteria

Rather than grind through the endless "which tire is best" posts and rely on anecdotal data which is often conflicting (I like these/these are better than those), I would like to select some tires based on specific attributes knowing that "most miles/most cost efficient" (important for fleets) can impact noise, smoothness and traction. But you don't see much comparative data shown for truck tires. Lots about mileage/wear, sidewall durability, UTGQ number, sometimes remarks about ejecting stones or tread chipping. Nothing about what I'm used to seeing for passenger car tires related to wet/dry traction, noise and ride quality. It would seem tires marketed as "RV tires" would identify those attributes by their manufacturers or dealers in some quantitative way for purposes of comparison. I don't see anything like that shown for any tire made by anyone. Is that because once you get into the higher load ranges the ride quality becomes a fixed constant or perhaps just a case where most commercial truck drivers aren't concerned about it? Tires marketed as RV/Coach/Bus don't show what makes them distinctive over the same size "long haul" tire from the same manufacturer. Would seem that "someone" would have this kind of information for RV owners that might care. If not I guess it comes down to price and implied quality and durability. Where I'm going with this is I don't need a tire that can be re-tread X number of times, I won't come close to wearing out the original tread and I don't care about fuel economy. I tend to choose the quietest/stickiest tires I can find for my cars and can usually find them with a basic product search, but not so for RV tires in any price range.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 06:11 AM   #2

I think the reason the type of data your looking for doesn’t exist is because 1) the market for RV/MoHo tires is much smaller than autos and/or trucks, and 2) for most RV’er’s/MoHo’er’s, the general objective is to get somewhere and stay awhile - not to be a “MoHo road warrior”.

My FIL is retired as Superintendent of maintenance after 30+ years with a major public transportation bus system, and you would be surprised at how much tire data they have and maintain. I’m sure the private bus companies have the same. Longevity, durability, ride comfort, mileage, etc. are all closely monitored and tracked.
But when it comes to the specific use for MoHo’s, I’m sure the data is limited to what you read on forums such as this - that includes “my tire is better than your tire!”.

And FWIW - IF you get the answer(s) your seeking - the next arguments or discussions that will need to be solved is which is better -

Ford or Chevy
Koni’s or Bilstein’s
Exxon or Valero
and the list could go on . . . .

Old 09-28-2022, 06:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee, I guess I can skip asking what the best oil filter is.

I would've thought there would've at least been some marketing hype by some of the bigger players, "ours is quieter/smoother/better than the other guys" but absent even that implies that maybe they're all about the same. I only have one data point running the tires I have and I guess it's the luck of the draw to find out if something else is better, worse or the same. The next trick is to find a commercial tire supplier that will cater to the whims of an RV owner. As you say, most commercial buyers are more interested in long life and fewer visits to the tire store. Last place I went to get mine balanced I had to convince them to balance the rear tires. Apparently not a lot of commercial truck customers ask for that so I had to assure them that's what I wanted and I was willing to pay for it. I have a while to check around, anymore it's hard to find good service even at premium prices.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:22 AM   #4

I hear what your saying when it comes to sellers understanding that their opportunity to make money rests with what the Customer wants.

But I’ll give you an example of the opposite extreme -

Several years ago I worked for a company selling air cleaners. One of our distributors had provided a Proposal to a company to capture soldering fume from a wave solder system.

In the Proposal, the distributor itemized for clarity the air cleaner and filtration system to be used in the air cleaner, to include a “Absolute HEPA” (as required by OSHA at the time when recirculating air from a wave solder system). And with that itemization he extended the cost of the filter.

The Buyer didn’t feel the filter was needed, especially at the indicated price, so he did not include the filter in the PO. The Salesman argued the deletion with the Buyer - and the Buyer agreed to take all responsibility for the deletion.

The air cleaner was sold, built, and shipped, then installed.

On the Buyer’s next OSHA inspection, the inspector found no Absolute Filter in the air cleaner. And proceeded to shut the plant down and evacuate the premises.

He then went into the Buyer’s office and asked to see all records pertains to the purchase of the air cleaner.

The Buyer was immediately directed to seek other employment, and the company I worked for received a phone call for 1 “Absolute Filter retrofit kit” to be shipped without concern for expense.

Point is, the Customer isn’t always right. I think most people, truckers and MoHo’er’s, are not too concerned about rear tire balance. Probably because the dampening affect of the weight of the coach versus a statically mounted tire comes in to play - as opposed to an auto application where the imbalance on a rear is more likely felt.
In your case, by requesting your rears be balanced didn’t create an unsafe condition or was detrimental to the coach. It’s your money to spend. As to whether spending it was right or wrong could be argued, but in the end I believe all parties will have to agree to disagree.

Now - which is better -

Braided hose extensions, rigid extensions, or no extensions at all?
Tire dressing or no tire dressing?
And with that, . . . . .

Old 09-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #5

The tires on the market today for motorhome use are very similar and any one of them will do the job. Tire brand selection for an RVer is more emotional than any other factor. All brands must meet the Federal Specifications to be certified for sale in the US. Most of RV tires age out before wear out. Every brand has positive reviews from satisfied customers. I suspect more tires are based on the "Feel Good" emotion and I don't think any of them are wrong. Many try to over analyze the issue, which is part of their DNA, and that's ok, but the buyer that tells the dealer to put on what ever he recommends will be just as happy with the same results.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #6
Community Moderator

I could only share what I have experienced. 12R22,5 tires.

Ran a set of BF Goodrich for 8 years. At the time of replacing, there were a lot of sidewall cracks.

2 of Bridgestone. Ran for 10 years, soft rubber like new, no cracks when took them off.
4 of Sumitomo. At the end of 7 years, two failed - on one the cap was separating, fortunately caught in time. Less than a month later another blew out while on I-10 at 62 mph near San Antonio.

Take away - I can take Bridgestone at any time; avoid Sumitomo.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #7

Below are examples of what the manufacturer of the tires the I have on both very fun two seat cars and for the tires on my motorhome. It happens that I have the same manufacturers tires on both.

The written descriptions seem to be an orchestrated blend of engineering and marketing. I like how the tires perform in each of the extremely different types of driving, but won't live long enough to have personal experience with all brands and models of tires.

Below is the tire manufacturers description for the tires on my cars that are capable of spirited driving in appropriate locations.

- Dynamic Response Technology adapts to road conditions for exceptional handling and cornering, as well as improved treadlife
- Multi-Compound Construction uses two tread compounds: hybrid rubber on the outer shoulder for excellent handling and dry braking, and a silica-enriched compound in the center and inner shoulder for improved wet braking
- Total Performance delivers the perfect balance of powerful traction and treadlife
- Internal construction with dual steel belts wrapped in Aramid and nylon promotes handling and durability
- Premium sidewall design features a dark velvet finish
- Rim protector keeps wheels safe from scuffs and other light damage
- Up to 30,000 Mile Warranty

. . . and the tire manufacturers description for the tires on my motorhome.

- 15% improvement in rolling resistance for improved wear and fuel savings.

- 9% greater net contact area for improved grip.

- Exceptional traction from zig zag sipe design which delivers outstanding wet grip on slippery surfaces.

- Outstanding resistance to stone damage due to groove bottom protectors as well as angled groove walls to reduce stone retention.

BENEFITS AND FEATURES
- 1. Angled Groove Walls
Resists stone retention helping to extend run out life.

- 2. Zig-Zag Groove Walls
Outstanding Traction – Provide optimized biting edges and excellent water and snow evacuation.

- 3. Groove Bottom Protector
Casing Durability – Protects against stone drilling.

I think there is a great deal of information provided, but may mean more or less to each person, based on what is most important to the buyer. If price is the primary consideration, neither of these tires described above will be selected by the price only focused purchaser. There is a lot to consider, lots of opinions and biases that drive the purchase of tires for any vehicle.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Motorhome came with Goodyear G670 RV Unisteel 245/70R19.5G commercial truck tires. There are recommended for rv's. Features:

Lots of information here:

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx
https://www.tires-easy.com/245-70-19...code/139913050
Old 09-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #9

Technical information and colorful advertising are directed at our emotions. In an example given above "15% improvement in rolling resistance" it implies that their tire be that much better than the competition. Maybe it's an improvement over their earlier model. Michelin says they have less rolling resistance than others and yet, three years ago my new Toyo's gave me .5 mpg better driving the same speed towing the same toad over the same road. Statistical advertising can be very persuasive which is why companies do it. Everyone should choose the brand they have confidence in and lets them better.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #10

Toyo Commericial guide gives some good info about OTR long haul vs regional and urban. There are a maybe 4 decent choices for Rvs.
Gives tread depths which are more resistant to curb scrub ect.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire