Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #1

Tire temperature difference

Recently bought an inferred thermometer. Just finished a five day trip and on the last day checked the tire temperatures immediately after I stopped at a rest stop. Ambient temperature was 95° and a sunny day. All six wheels are within 2 psi of each other.

The steer wheels temperatures were 130° and 132°. The outside drive wheels were between 130° and 135° but the inside drive wheels wheels were between 7 and 10 degrees hotter.

Why would both inside drive wheels be of a higher temperature than the outside drive wheels?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Crown of the road, less air circulation, in your case engine and exhaust heat flowing back under the coach, etc. My inside duals always run a little hotter and higher pressure than the outside.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Different issue, and does not apply here, but I have noticed that at least after parking for a while, the pressure difference between the pair of wheels with direct sun versus the pair of wheels in the shade can easily be 3-4 psi because of heating by sun.

I could see all kinds of things causing the extra heat on the inside wheels, much of which falls into the category of air circulation as mentioned by Lt. Dan. The brake drum/rotor is inside the inner wheels, the outer wheels do not get exposed to brake heat. The inner wheel has a drum/rotor on one side and a tire on the other to block good airflow. The outer tire has a tire on one side, but open to air on the other to allow cooling.

The crown of road is a good one, I would not have considered probably.

Where does your exhaust pipe run in relation to wheels? I would expect one side of coach only, so that side maybe a tad warmer, but I think this and engine heat are the least of the issues.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #4

As carybosse says. Many factors to consider. A couple of PSI is no big deal.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #5

Thank you Lt Dan. I find you explanation clear and best explains the reason the inside tires would be of a higher temperature. Now I know.

Tags
temperature, tire