Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #1

Tires

I need new 235/80R 22.5 Michelin Tires but apparently there is no Michelin tires to be had for four to six months they tell me everywhere. The tire shops tell me I can use a 245 / 75r Goodyear does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot I just started on this forum.
Thanks
Tklyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

I've read many bad reports of Goodyears here. I recommend Toyo's as a replacement. Have them on our coach and love them and good pricing.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tklyczek View Post
I need new 235/80R 22.5 Michelin Tires but apparently there is no Michelin tires to be had for four to six months they tell me everywhere. The tire shops tell me I can use a 245 / 75r Goodyear does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot I just started on this forum.
Thanks
We just bought a Michelin XRV tire size 235/89R 22.5 in Palmer Alaska of all places. We had a belt break (ran over a 4" diameter branch that flew of a landscapers truck) and installed the unmounted spare. Rather than go another 6 weeks without a spare we ordered one from a local dealer. The Company (Big Black Rubber) had to order it from their distributor. It took a couple days for it to arrive so we drove down to Homer. We picked the tire up on our way back through.

Personally I would stick with the Michelins. We had Goodyear's on our previous motorhome and had lots of trouble. I was always a Goodyear fan until recently. Of the 5 sets of Goodyear tires we purchased for our cars and trucks 4 sets had to be replaced for premature wear, balance issues, and broken belts.

All but the top of the line Goodyear's seem to be made in China these days. I was disappointed to say the least when I paid almost $1,000.00 for the last set of 4 Goodyear tires for my Ford truck only to find out they were made in China, and wore out in less than 25,000 miles.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Get them online

I purchased a couple of tires for my car here, I have a really funky and hard to find size on my SUV.

https://simpletire.com/michelin-235-...RoCNDQQAvD_BwE
lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The reports of bad Goodyear tires are on an old model that has been out of production for years. I personally would find a different tire dealer. The Michelins are readily available at several online vendors. They just want to sell you on something that is probably old stock for them. Goodyear, Toyo, Michelin, Hercules are all good tire brands. I ended up wit the Toyo M144's because the price and reviews seemed like the sweet spot. No matter what you buy check the date codes before you let them install the tires. Odd size rv tires are notorious for sitting in the warehouse for months and even years. You don't want anything older than 6 months out to be installed since rv tires are judged by age and not wear.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #6

x3 on the Toyos. Not going down the river(ing) with the Goodyears again.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X4 Toyo's 3years & 20K miles great tire and good price.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You can get the 245/75R22.5 size from several major tire manufacturers, e.g. Toyo, Sumitomo, Hankook, Bridgestone, Firestone, Goodyear, and Yokohama
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The new tires will be slightly smaller in diameter. Check to see if there will be any issues with side clearance due to the extra width.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have you checked with FMCA on the Michelin Advantage Program? Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

Can’t go wrong with Toyo’s
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michelin tire availability

Quote:
I need new 235/80R 22.5 Michelin Tires but apparently there is no Michelin tires to be had for four to six months they tell me everywhere. The tire shops tell me I can use a 245 / 75r Goodyear does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot I just started on this forum. Thanks
I just had a zipper blow out of a Michelin XZE 235/80 R22.5 and was told there was a 8 week backorder for the XRV's (XZE no longer made)

To get me home the only tire I could find was a Bridgestone R268 Ecopia 245/75 R22.5. It fit fine and after a good bit of research I am going to replace the other 5 on my RV with the R268. I'm done with Michelin for now. Tire was serviceable according to their published inspection data, was not overloaded, never hit anything with it and inflated properly. It exploded at 62mph. Had less than 8500 miles on it.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks
The substitute 245/75R22.5 is very close to your Michelins:https://tiresize.com/calculator/
only 1/2 mph slow @ 60 MPH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorim View Post
Get them online

I purchased a couple of tires for my car here, I have a really funky and hard to find size on my SUV.

https://simpletire.com/michelin-235-...RoCNDQQAvD_BwE
I needed a tire 295/80R22.5 and Simpletire had a good price.

I called them to see if they could guarantee (or verify) that the tire I buy (and have shipped to me) would be less than two-years old.

They said they can't guarantee it and have no way to tell. They said it would "most likely" be a new tire. But I could ship the tire back at my expense if I didn't want it.

I decided to buy locally so I can view the tire (or have the sales guy look) before I buy it.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires