Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #29

For a long term solution I'd be burying the PVC provided you have enough drop in the run. I'd have a plumber connect at the septic tank if I was uncomfortable with that. The macerator pumps I've heard are noisy enough that I'd get tired of hearing it.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #30

I use the FlowJet macerator.

The first 8 ft of hose is 3/4, that is left connected for dump site use.
I also have 2, 25 ft lengths roll flat, PVC hose that I can connect for family driveway camping.

I only use the 3" sewer hose if at a GC for 2 weeks or more.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You do know you need a separate Neutral and Ground Right!! You need to fix that.

Hey this is a great point -- I've been long considering adding power out to my pad. I was going to just add a 20A circuit out there for my charger and basic lights when we're packing and getting ready for a trip. But, to be able to run an AC on shore power to cool the coach before switching to the generator would be awesome.

My rig has 50A shore service capability and can step down to 30 and 20, respectively. I priced out putting a 50A in and #1: I dont want to take up that kind of space in my breaker panel, #2: I can live with 30A out there just for trip preparation and such.

My question is- if I put a 30A out there, I need a 3-wire 120V/30A cable, probably 8GA copper or 6GA aluminum feed with 2 hots, a ground, and neutral, right? Its about 80 feet from the breaker, under the crawl space, out the front of the house and across the yard to where I'll install the plug-in. Voltage drop suggests at that distance, 8 should be ok.

Thoughts?
JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaTV View Post
Hey this is a great point -- I've been long considering adding power out to my pad. I was going to just add a 20A circuit out there for my charger and basic lights when we're packing and getting ready for a trip. But, to be able to run an AC on shore power to cool the coach before switching to the generator would be awesome.

My rig has 50A shore service capability and can step down to 30 and 20, respectively. I priced out putting a 50A in and #1: I dont want to take up that kind of space in my breaker panel, #2: I can live with 30A out there just for trip preparation and such.

My question is- if I put a 30A out there, I need a 3-wire 120V/30A cable, probably 8GA copper or 6GA aluminum feed with 2 hots, a ground, and neutral, right? Its about 80 feet from the breaker, under the crawl space, out the front of the house and across the yard to where I'll install the plug-in. Voltage drop suggests at that distance, 8 should be ok.

Thoughts?
Three wire, you will have only one hot, should be ok on #8.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly3 View Post
Three wire, you will have only one hot, should be ok on #8.

So in the case of 1 hot with a 30A, this is a 120VAC/30A circuit, then?-- see below:

Hot - 120VAC/30A Capacity

Neutral - Return to Neutral Bus
Ground - Return to Ground Bus

(I have a propensity to understand electrical engineering- I just dont understand the shore power to auto-transfer/switch to generator to inverter and all of the complications that involve power to a motorhome )
Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #34

Here is RV, 30 and 50 amp explained.
https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
To buy a portable waste buggy or install a waste pipe at my MH pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You do know you need a separate Neutral and Ground Right!![emoji33] You need to fix that.

Most all 10/3 is 10/3 plus ground.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:40 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
Most all 10/3 is 10/3 plus ground.

Ok, I had myself all confused. So 10/3 has two hots then. Someone said up in the posts it was one hot, but 3 wire has two hots, a neutral and a ground. Right? I’ll go with 8GA stranded or 6ga aluminum once I get the actual length planned. I’m gonna run water out to it also. Thanks for the diagrams and everything, that’s a big help!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:21 AM   #37

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sou...50m/1000127944

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Probably not legal. Unless he lives in Arkansas.

It’s not legal in Arkansas, you have to have at least 10 acres and stay at least 200’ from any property line.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We stay at our son's house on 5 acres for 2 months every summer. For a septic tank, I taped together 2-5 gallon buckets which I buried along with a 20' 4" perforated drain pipe for a drain field. I hook my sewer line in with the valves left open and it works fine for us. It even handles the W/D in our RV.
Won't that cause the dreaded poop pile?
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
Won't that cause the dreaded poop pile?

Nope, not in the last 7 years of FT. That accounts for alot of flushes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
For a long term solution I'd be burying the PVC provided you have enough drop in the run. I'd have a plumber connect at the septic tank if I was uncomfortable with that. The macerator pumps I've heard are noisy enough that I'd get tired of hearing it.
Mine is the same volume level as a garbage disposal (which it is) and less than 5 minutes to do a complete dump and flush.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaTV View Post
Ok, I had myself all confused. So 10/3 has two hots then. Someone said up in the posts it was one hot, but 3 wire has two hots, a neutral and a ground. Right? I’ll go with 8GA stranded or 6ga aluminum once I get the actual length planned. I’m gonna run water out to it also. Thanks for the diagrams and everything, that’s a big help!
You said three wire, not 10-3. 10-3 is four wire, not three. Three wire is 10-2.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, power