Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
To buy a portable waste buggy or install a waste pipe at my MH pad?

Good afternoon everyone!

*Edit to title-- waste *pipe* vs. waste "power"

So, we bought our home and we're not planning on leaving it anytime soon. We're tucked back in the woods, just far enough away from everything but just close enough to get where we need to go. We moved in and I built a MH parking pad and the second phase was to address the sewage dumping "issue". I could continue to just take it to the local KOA and dump when we're inbound for home, but we're in the MH a lot and that cost adds up.

The septic tank cap is about 60' from the rear of the RV pad, and based on the yard and where the house is, I cant get the rig back there to dump it, and my hose obviously isnt long enough.

I had contemplated shelling out the $250 for a portable buggy, but I have some "cons" that make me consider digging a trench, putting some 4" drain pipe in the ground, and tapping into the drain pipe that goes into the septic tank.

Portable Buggy:
Con #1: Its a burden to drain into the buggy, wheel it over, drain it again and it introduces another variable for having an accidental dump/spill.

Con #2: Its a piece of equipment floating around that I just dont care to store (we already have enough stuff I want to get rid of! )

Con #3: Regardless of cleaning it, I fear it will inevitably stink like.... well... you know.

Pro #1: pretty much drag it and drop it into the tank.

Pro #2: I dont care about trenching, but opening up the drain entry line into the septic tank would be a concern

Pro #3: I have the buggy available for some other weird extremely occasional surprise.

Trenching a 4" drain pipe
Con: (reference Pro #2 above)

Con: Although slope isnt a factor because its a positive slope of a couple feet, I'd still worry about line leaks/cracks

Pro: Permanent and we plan on being RV'ers and have this house for a long while.

Pro: Minimal accidental spill risk.

Pro: The PVC drain pipe option is cheap compared to the buggy (several sections of drainpipe and some sweat from trenching)

SO-- I come to you all for advice/opinions

I dont want to say money isnt a variable-- because it is, but in this situation, if you could do it either way, what would you prefer? I can easily trench this and add a drain pipe for occasional dumping into my septic. And something about dragging my crap across my yard just makes my skin crawl lol!

I hope this post was entertaining and thought provoking, and I appreciate anyone's opinions.

-Justin and Brit
JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a similar situation. We just use a macerator pump and a garden hose. Real Easy. Install a cleanout between the house and tank in that line and un screw the cap and insert hose.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #3

unless you want a permanent solution i’d just get 3-20’ sewer hose sections and be done with it. i carry close to 60’ of sewer hose in our MH.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I have a similar situation. We just use a macerator pump and a garden hose. Real Easy

I'll have to check into that. Part of phase 2 of this is to install a 20A underground line to charge the house batteries while she sits. If its in the budget, I'd like to put a 30A out there so we can cool the fridge while on shore power before departing. So I'm putting some infrastructure out to the pad- thats why I'm on the front end of this thinking about putting a trenched pipe in.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
unless you want a permanent solution i’d just get 3-20’ sewer hose sections and be done with it. i carry close to 60’ of sewer hose in our MH.

At that point then I just open the top of the septic and drain it on in, right? Thats an option for sure!!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaTV View Post
I'll have to check into that. Part of phase 2 of this is to install a 20A underground line to charge the house batteries while she sits. If its in the budget, I'd like to put a 30A out there so we can cool the fridge while on shore power before departing. So I'm putting some infrastructure out to the pad- thats why I'm on the front end of this thinking about putting a trenched pipe in.

well if you have to dig trenches, might as well lay in the pipe and connection at the mh.

but here in our area..water and electric have to reside in separate trenches.

if you are not using the m/h that much after the house is done..by 3 20 foot hoses and drain away.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
well if you have to dig trenches, might as well lay in the pipe and connection at the mh.

but here in our area..water and electric have to reside in separate trenches.

if you are not using the m/h that much after the house is done..by 3 20 foot hoses and drain away.
I'm starting to get on board with this idea... seems way easier. I tend to over-engineer simple solutions sometimes!
Old 05-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am currently looking at the same options. I plan on adding a standard pedestal like an RV park has complete with 50, 30 and 20 amp power so any future upgrades are taken care of. Only going about 40 feet from house so not too much more $$$.

I plan to install a sewer cleanout and just dump into it.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #9

We stay at our son's house on 5 acres for 2 months every summer. For a septic tank, I taped together 2-5 gallon buckets which I buried along with a 20' 4" perforated drain pipe for a drain field. I hook my sewer line in with the valves left open and it works fine for us. It even handles the W/D in our RV.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #10

We had a PVC line trenched into our septic system, and installed 50 amp service for the MH in an adjacent building. It is hard to beat the convenience of having everything to hook up right in your back yard.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #11

My vote is: buy more sewer hose. easier, probably less expense and, you get to take it with you in case you need it somewhere else.

That's what I think.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 AM   #12

when we built the house I installed a 3" pvc pipe 65' long with a clean out right at the garage ( not at the bus barn ) as it was to far . so when I need to drain the black tank I just move the coach over to the house garage and use the slinky to drain it .
just make sure to run the grey or run some water through after you dump the black to flush it all through. as for the grey I have a simple system like said above so I only need to move the coach when the black is near full .
for a/c I ran a 10/3 wire to the coach because of cost and distance and ended up with 30 amp x 2 on 120 v in a 40-50 amp stove plug ( same as a rv plug outlet 50 amp )
now I can do almost everything as long as I watch how much power I use

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:03 AM   #13

If like my last house you will be there for a long time, then bury a pipe connected to septic. Makes dumping so easy. Hooking slinkies together works but who wants to clean three of them every time you dump? I didn’t

Take care.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We stay at our son's house on 5 acres for 2 months every summer. For a septic tank, I taped together 2-5 gallon buckets which I buried along with a 20' 4" perforated drain pipe for a drain field. I hook my sewer line in with the valves left open and it works fine for us. It even handles the W/D in our RV.
Probably not legal. Unless he lives in Arkansas.

Tags
install, power