Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To pink or not to pink

My family bought our 1st RV in March. I have learned a LOT reading these forums and appreciate everyone's opinions and expertise.

In about 3 to 4 weeks I will be winterizing our '02 Damon Intruder after our last trip of the season. The manufacturer documentation says to pour the the RV antifreeze directly into the fresh water tank then using the pump run the faucets and toilet until the water runs pink. I plan on using my air compressor (with a regulator) to blow out everything, drain the tanks and pour pink stuff down the traps and into the gray and black tanks.

I'd prefer not to have to fill my water lines and some of my fresh water tank with pink stuff if I don't have to.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on using the RV antifreeze in addition draining and blowing out of the water system.

- I do have a hot water heater bypass
- Because of where my water pump is it would take a lot more effort than normal to install an antifreeze bypass.
- We live in Virginia so it doesn't get extremely cold for long periods but it does freeze.

Thanks for reading.

Eric
Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

The pink stuff on top of blowing out your lines with air is like a insurance policy. Do you fell lucky.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ecampell54,
The way factories run water lines, you may feel the lines are clear of water when there may be low points that enough water remains in the lines and will drain into these low points. That is the danger. Something to remember is to ensure the toilet water line and valve are free of water or have antifreeze in the line and valve.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

You do not need to add RV anti-freeze into the fresh water tank, it will drain enough to never have a freeze problem. If your RV does not have a winterizing kit installed at the water pump, do so, they are relatively cheap and save gallons of RV anti-freeze. Even with a clothes washer and ice maker, it takes me about 2 and 1/2 G to completely winterize my RV, which includes a cup in each drain. Here is the procedure for winterizing your RV. Scroll down to near bottom of the page to winterization.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I make sure to drain the water tank. drain the water heater and then flip the bypass valve. I blow all the lines with air, I even blow out the black tank flusher, I disconnect the water line from the tank to the water pump and put on a hose that goes into my antifreeze jug.
I pump that through all the faucets, shower, outdoor shower and the toilet. after that I dump the grey water tank in the rocks where the RV is parked.
the last thing I do is dump a gallon into the grey tank putting some in each drain so it fill the p-trap. I also put a gallon in the black tank and leave about a 1/4 gallon in the toilet.
also the last trip of the year I really flush the black tank and allow it to drain completely.
I have done it this way with all my campers and so far so good - I would rather spend an extra 1/2 hour adding the anti freeze than have to fix a broken water line
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the great advice!

The previous owner only blew the water out. After reading the responses so far I think I'll add the pink. Better safe then sorry. I'd love to install winterizing bypass on the pump but it's going to take a little more effort because there is not enough space to install an off the shelf adapter. (see attached image).

Any issues with pulling the antifreeze through that filter on the pump?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-602332801.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	48227  
Old 10-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I have posted previously, I switched the pink stuff with the cheapest Vodka I can find. Just pump it through until you can smell it coming out of each faucet ect.

I have done it for fifteen years now with no bad effects.

1. No taste
2. Doesn't freeze
3. Sanitizes
4. Party in the Spring
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
I even blow out the black tank flusher
I did not think of that. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I switched the pink stuff with the cheapest Vodka I can find.
Haaaa, I love this idea! With our small kids DW will likely veto.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

After an issue I had a few years back with the "pink stuff" I started blowing out the lines. I could not get the smell of the suff out of the lines. I must have flushed 100 gallons of water through the system before I used it. After that I swore off of the pink stuff. I like the vodka idea!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my boat I always flush my water tank and lines with a bleach mixture in the spring to get rid of the pink smell/taste. After I flush with bleach mixture I flush with fresh water and that usually works.

I am fortunate with the motorhome, I store in an underground limestone cave so I don't have to winterize it.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
On my boat I always flush my water tank and lines with a bleach mixture in the spring to get rid of the pink smell/taste. After I flush with bleach mixture I flush with fresh water and that usually works. I am fortunate with the motorhome, I store in an underground limestone cave so I don't have to winterize it.
What kind of humidity do you get in that underground storage?
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecampell54 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice!

Any issues with pulling the antifreeze through that filter on the pump?

Thanks!
No issue.. its only a screen. You might see if you can remove that white hose from either end. Hook a hose to the pump and pump the pink through the system. I used to do that with a TT we had, worked well and didn't take much pink.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
What kind of humidity do you get in that underground storage?
Not a problem, it is humidity controlled environment, there are many businesses located in multiple underground caves in our area, furniture warehouse to freezer storage. Government stores powdered milk in the caves also. There are some who offer RV/Boat Storage that DO NOT seal walls and control humidity, it is a real mess.

I use my motorhome more in the winter than summer since I have a place at the lake, so not winterizing is the best and no UV damage.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote