Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #15
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey kenscomet, I will repeat what everyone else has said, get & use at all times a break system for your toad!! I have the Break-buddy system, I like it because it's easy to use, and can be moved to another toad with no trouble or tools!I also have the alert & break-away system for it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #16

In response to the question asked by kenscomet some confusion came into my head. I am looking to buy a small car like a manual shift focus. Do you have to leave the engine running to create the vacumn for the brakes to operate? Are there systems that operate on electricity? I also have a gas motorhome with the Ford 550 chasis. Is that why I see people towing their vehicles on all fours with the engine on or is that because they are towing an automatic and that is how the tranny is cooled?
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
D in Davis
I also have a gasser and I have the SMI Stay-in-Play brake system installed on a Jeep Liberty. It uses the vehicle vaccum system. The control unit mounts under the drivers seat. It is a self contained unit that has a vaccum pump that keeps the vehicle system pumped up. It is powered off of the vehicle battery. And only comes when needed. It has an on-off sw so it can be deactivated when not hitched to the RV. Hope this answers some of your questions

2006 Southwind 32VS W-20
ED C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I will add to the Yes get a brake group. I have used a BrakeBuddy for many years with no problems and feeling very secure. I even started using the brakeBuddy when towing a 1600# Baja Bug. After making many panic stops/slowdowns because some 4 wheeler thought they wanted the same real estate I was using I would insist GET A TOWED BRAKE SYSTEM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:12 AM   #19

DinDavie...Count me as another fellow RV'r who insists on towing four down with a Brake Buddy. I have had mine for at least 4 years and just towed our 2001 Jeep Cherokee behind a 35 Ft Georgie Boy Pursuit from Florida (Palatka) to Las Vegas and back, two trips to No. Carolina and one to Conn ...this year. The piece of mind is unreal. The Brake Buddy can be used on different vehicles. It takes no more that 2 minutes to install once you have done it a couple of times. If you look in one of Fl Coastal Trader papers available in many of our gas station stores (which comes out on Thursday's) and look in the RV section there is an area that sells RV equipment and I have seen them in there at very good prices on occasion. E Bay may be another possibility. Wish you many safe and enjoyable miles.... bill
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had a motorhome and a dinghy, we had dingy brakes and a break away system. I am sure they saved my bacon on more than one occasion. No matter how safely you drive, there will be some idiot blast around you, change back into you lane only to stand on the brakes for a right turn.

All of the braking power you have will really come in handy.

As for the ones that claim, the law says trailer and does not mention a towed vehicel, ....meadow muffins. The RV does not know if you have 3500# of rocks on a trailer or 3500# of dinghy....weight is weight.

Another issue is the cost. Some folks try to justify the lack of dinghy brakes as a cost saving issue. The cost of the dinghy brakes is practically nothing compared to the cost of a motorhome and a dinghy.

Also, many of the chassis manufacturers state that you need aux brakes on any towed load over 1000 or 1500#.

Like said, I'd rather have them and not need them, than not have them and need them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #21

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cb5300:
M&G here!!! One very slick and well built product. Don't take chances, you need a brake system, and like someone said earlier if you have an accident your insurance could have issues paying your claim if you were in violation of a state law. Why take risk it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big vote in favor of M&G. I have used it since 2004 and absolutely zero problems. You do need an air brake coach, but the hook up time is literally seconds -- not minutes. No battery drain, and no calibration needed.

AND.... it coasts when the exhaust brake kicks in. But when you put the hammer down on the service brakes, stopping power is there.

Saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Don't leave home without brakes.

Kiwi