Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Question toads with small rv's

I hope this is the right area for this question. I want to downsize my 36dp, with something small like a Rialta or something of that nature. I would also downsize my saturn toad with something like a smart for 2,
I am very interested your thoughts, and hearing from those who have made a switch.
Our lifestyle is one of when we take a trip we usually go for 5 or 6 months at a time. I KNOW IT WILL BE A BIGGGG ADJUSTMENT!

thanks
john
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

John, That will be a big jump, but if it's small enough you may not need a toad. We had a B+ before this "A" and used the same toad we still have now. A 2002 Chevy Tracker. However the B+ was about 30' and was no different than a "C". Not sure why they classify it as a B+. It was a Ford 450 with the 6.8 V-10. Towing cap. was 3500#. Now we are trying to sell the "A" and go back to a "C" which DW would drive.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
I hope this is the right area for this question. I want to downsize my 36dp, with something small like a Rialta or something of that nature. I would also downsize my saturn toad with something like a smart for 2,
I am very interested your thoughts, and hearing from those who have made a switch.
Our lifestyle is one of when we take a trip we usually go for 5 or 6 months at a time. I KNOW IT WILL BE A BIGGGG ADJUSTMENT!

thanks
john
Would you mind if I ask why you would like to downsize?
Just curious because at 32.5' I would still like to go larger some day.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

I love the Class A and know I would like something even a bit larger, but My wife drove the "C" but won't drive the "A". Only reason to go back is to have her share in driving.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

we do alot of national parks,forests and state parks and more and more thay don't want anything larger than 33 or 34 feet. there was a time when we could talk our way in but its geting harder.
our plan is to do the western states ca,or, wa . the guides and web sites we are looking at it looks like we may again be limiting our options.
( Just my opinion )
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
John, That will be a big jump, but if it's small enough you may not need a toad.
I would still like a tow. It is kind of a pain to get set up in a site, then break down to go grab a gallon of milk or to sight see IMHO.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

Greg I'm with you I don't want to break camp to go to trail heads shopping or siteseeing
john
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #8

I understand completely. You just have to check towing capacity of your MH and go from there....
Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

I had a Rialta. Good gas mileage (17-19), very compact, nice for a couple weeks. Liked it while I had it as it was an upgrade from a VW Camper. I would not get another one for the following:

Bathroom/Shower is an absolute joke. You have to slide it out, hang a shower curtain, pump the water out of the floor pan, and you have a pullman syle bathroom sink. Very small holding tanks.

Tires. Very few choices. When last I looked only Continental provided tires that could support the weight and they were difficult to find. This may have changed.

The Rialta has a very nice VW V6 engine/tranny but you can't find a VW dealer that works on them. This too may have changed but I doubt it.

While I have seen a few folks pulling a toad, as I remember the manual said no.

Looks nice, drives nice (except if you get in tire ruts in asphalt).

Good luck in your decision process...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

Look at a Winnebago Via or Itasca Reyo - 25', MB Diesel engine, 15MPG, Pull a Smart for 2.

That's what I did except I pull a MINI Cooper S

Oh! I downsized form a 40' diesel pusher 30,000 lbs - Great coach - Really loved it But just too big for a old man to handle/drive/park etc.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote