Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 AM   #1

I was wondering how most are handeling EZ Pass Toll lanes when towing your toad. If you go thru the fast pass lanes do they charge you for the toad. I will be towing my toad for the first time to Florida this winter and have never gone thru with it so I was trying to figure out how this will work.I have never seen any signs on the toll booths that tell you anything about toad vehicles.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 AM   #2

I was wondering how most are handeling EZ Pass Toll lanes when towing your toad. If you go thru the fast pass lanes do they charge you for the toad. I will be towing my toad for the first time to Florida this winter and have never gone thru with it so I was trying to figure out how this will work.I have never seen any signs on the toll booths that tell you anything about toad vehicles.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #3

Calling e-z pass was an adventure for me.Got 3 differant answers.My MH has its own transponder and is listed for its weight on my file.So,I take my toad box off and put it in the silver envelope while I tow.On my monthly bill it shows 2 vehicles sometimes ,sometimes it doesnt.They have photos ,so if they want to charge you they will.I let them deal with.If you leave it on they may double charge you.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Register your "toad" with Ezpass and use only (one) transponder --- registered to the motor home-- It works great for me
Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Do as Frankie posted. If you have two transponders, you will be charged twice. Using the coach transponder, with the toad in tow (no transponder), you will be charged for one vehicle and one trailer. That is how I am charged. Be aware, sometimes the coach/trailer toll is more that the two vehicle tow,,,,,go figure.

The state legislature determine the tolls. Consider calling to be sure you have the latest information.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 AM   #6

As others have posted use one EZ pass ( mounted on the MH); register both the motorhome and the "toad" with EZ pass. The state of Maryland will fine you if the "toad" is not registered.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #7

In NY I use just the MH EZ-Pass, none in the toad.

Note: You cannot use the automated EZ-Pass lanes, as you must have the attendant log your toad on the MH. Then off you go.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 AM   #8

I use the express lanes all the time, my toad is registered, but I take the transponder out. No issues, let them figure it out.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don,

If the "automated lanes" mean the high speed ones, I use them all the time in those high speed lanes with only the one in the motor home. The second pass for the "toad" is in its silver foil pouch in the glove box in the "toad". I wish there were more of the high speed lanes.

To me all the EZ pass lanes are automated---------
Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We too always use the "automated" E-Z Pass lanes. Just have to slow up and go thru at 5 MPH. No attendant there. Toad's transponder is in the silver bag.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Rather than pay for a 3rd transponder, during the "RV" season I re-register the one in my toad to the MH. I was told, by NH EZ pass, if I went thru without the toad I'd just be charged for a MH but if I had a toad the system would recognize the additional axles and charge accordingly. Reviewing my bills, I haven't had a problem in any of the states I've gone thru.

As was mentioned, it is sometimes cheaper going thru as a MH and a car rather than a MH with toad. Tappanzee Bridge in NY is one of those places.

Also, as was mentioned, if you have a transponder in the MH and toad make sure you put the toads in the protective bag or it will be charged also. Not sure if that means you're charged for both a MH w/ toad and a car. However, going over Tappanzee it might work to your advantage if it did register as only a MH and a car.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #12

I called ez-pass, registered MH. Only time I use the MH, is with the car in tow. Car has its own pass. When towing, pass for car is in its protective envelope. I use the hi speed toll lanes all the time,while towing,it says 55 mph, I do 55. Sure saves time.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Have never used EZ Pass. Sounds like the way to go. Had a 1/2 hour wait on Sunday on NY Thruway.

Anyway, couple of questions:

1. If you are sticking the transponder to the windshield, how do you move it from vehicle to vehicle?

2. Is there a cost/deposit per transpoder?

EZ Pass website didn't answer these Q's.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
JavaJelly,

Transponder comes with a heavy duty / commercial grade velcro type material. Get some extra pieces for other vehicle. I've also seen some folks just hold it up to the window when going thru the lane.

Under terms and conditions (#2) of the NY E-ZPass website it shows a $10 deposit per transponder. Apparently each state has its own rules. In NH you have to buy it.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote