Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2020, 03:57 AM   #1

Top Mounted Rear view Mirrors

Good Morning All

We are looking for our next coach and (Newmar) and I'm wondering what the the thoughts are about the top mounted rear view mirrors.

It looks like they happened about 2007 to 2011 models.

Do these offer any better view?
Are they up so high that you have to take your eyes off the road more?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam
bandit2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2020, 05:19 AM   #2

All American coaches have top mounted mirrors. Having not driven any other coach I can't say if top mount or bottom mount is better. My top mount works fine.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:37 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had 8 MH and two of them (including my current one) have had the top mount. I prefer them. You get a better view of the motorhome further to the front and you take your eyes off the road less. Also when you are walking around the motorhome you don't hit your head on the mirrors. I know sounds like a dumb reason, but, it is true. Still it is a personal choice.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had both top and bottom mount. I find that with the top mount I am bothered by light reflections that at times wipes out view on parts of mirror. Also easier to clean bottom mount.

Glenn
Old 04-24-2020, 01:00 AM   #5

I have never driven a coach or bus with high-mounted mirrors but I have driven many miles in six years in city buses and school buses in primarily urban and suburban environments. Lots of cars, trucks, pedestrians, skateboarders and especially bicyclists all of whose operators seem to be trying to invent new stupid human tricks.
The low-mounted mirrors are great for seeing them when they are alongside you or at quite a distance behind you; however, the mirrors can easily hide an approaching pedestrian, bicycle, motorcycle, car or even a truck. I can't even recall the number of close calls I had over the years. Driving in a college town is especially hazardous.
The Safety Director of the bus company I worked for was always reminding the drivers to "Rock and Roll" which meant to lean forward and backward then left and right in the driver's seat to look around and behind both mirrors before making a turn or pulling out into traffic. I kinda scoffed at first but with time and experience I became a true believer.
High-mounted mirrors pretty much eliminate those two big blind spots. I'm not absolutely sure but I think high-mounted mirrors on coaches are required in EU countries. I do know they are very common in Europe.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #6

Update...
I was just talking with my next door neighbor and noticed his mirrors were mounted to the top of his cap and suspended from above. He said he really likes them and the only downside is when he needs to lower the power sunshades they cover up his mirrors.
Seems like a pretty serious consideration to me. Of course when the sun is very low a low mounted mirror can present problems too.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:26 AM   #7

My top mounted mirrors don't present that problem. The drivers side mirror is viewed through the most forward side window and though the passenger side mirror is viewed through the windshield, I've never noticed that the shades would block my view. I guess because we're having our celebratory end of the day cocktail by the time the sun is that low, I haven't noticed.
PS: At the campsite.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
My top mounted mirrors are both viewed through the windshield. They are in direct vertical line of view of the driver so almost no taking eyes off the road is required. There are smaller convex mirrors on the lower end of mine, and I have seen them on the upper end of others. These are adjusted to reveal anything in the blind spots down beside the coach. I can lower my front sunshades enough to do the job as long as I am not driving directly into the sun just before sunset.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #9

One good thing about top mount, you can’t hit your head on them.