Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Tote tank -- 2 wheeled or 4?

We finally need a honey wagon, and I'm trying to figure out which kind is best for us. Your experience would be helpful to me. I'm looking at these two.

Steerable wheel, 28 gallon. This one looks like it'd be easier for my wife to handle. She does camp a lot without me, but then, she doesn't fill the tanks nearly as fast alone, so I'm not sure she'd ever really use it. My concern is the small front wheels. I know she could pull it with the truck, but some of the places we go have gravel or soft dirt near where this would have to sit to use it. Are the small front wheels hard to pull on rough ground to get to the truck?

Two wheeled, 28-gallon
This one looks like it'd pull a lot easier on rough ground to get to the truck, but I'm cercerned that my wife couldn't lift and pull it with 250 pounds of liquid in it. Heck! To be truthful, I may not even be able to.

Which do you prefer? And why?

Thx . . .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #2

The 4 wheel version gives you the best of both worlds. Normally it will pull along with all 4 wheels down. If the smaller wheels cut in or get stuck simply lift on the handle, raise the front of the tank and you've converted to a 2 wheel tank.
On hard ground or blacktop you'll appreciate the additional 2 wheels.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
The 4 wheel version gives you the best of both worlds. Normally it will pull along with all 4 wheels down. If the smaller wheels cut in or get stuck simply lift on the handle, raise the front of the tank and you've converted to a 2 wheel tank.
On hard ground or blacktop you'll appreciate the additional 2 wheels.
Oh. OK. I was looking at the 4-wheel and thinking would be be difficult to lift and pull at the same time. Does the handle extend out and lock or something?

I know the 2-wheel has an extension for the handle for more leverage to lift and pull.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:15 PM   #4

I have a 2 wheel 25 gallon one and it's heavy, just moving around. I drag it behind my toad but have to move it by hand to hitch it up.

Get 4 wheels.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have a 2 wheel 25 gallon one and it's heavy, just moving around. I drag it behind my toad but have to move it by hand to hitch it up.

Get 4 wheels.
You two have convinced me. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

When we had a truck and trailer I used a macerator pump to pump into a 32 gallon tank. Kept the tank in the bed of the truck. It worked great and I did not have to drag a tank to the dump station. (I have seen several oh sh*t situations when being pulled) I recommend a Barker tank. Tried Thetford first, it did not work well for us.
Just a thought.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:42 AM   #7

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sewer+totes&t=brave&ia=web
When you shop for your tote I would suggest you buy the largest tote you or your wife would be comfortable handling. You may not need the added capacity but the larger totes have larger wheels and are wider which makes the tote more stable and easier to pull around. You don't have to wait to dump your tanks just to fill the tote. Dumping into your tote and only 1/2 filling it is no crime. It makes using the tote easier.
You will need a place to carry your tote. If you have a pick up and tow a trailer you are all set. With a motor home the tote can be held to the ladder on the back of the MH if you have one with attachments which are available from several sources or like I do, carry the tote in a rack which slides into the hitch receiver on the rear of my coach.
I only use my tote once a year at an event we go to each year. I used to have to pay to have my tanks pumped out a couple times while staying for the event. I have saved enough $ to have paid for my tote several times over.
I have the Thetford 35 gallon model but there are others as good or maybe even better. Mine is nine years old now.
They also offer a 90 degree elbow type fitting which will attach to the end of the dump hose on your tote. I'd highly recommend you buy this along with the tote. It makes the job of emptying your tote much easier and helps to prevent a mess from spillage.
When I'm done with my tote I give it a through cleaning inside and out. I store mine in an unheated barn during the winter. When I winterize my coach I try to catch as much pink antifreeze from my low point drains etc. and dump it into my tote to help protect the tote from having frozen water left behind from cleaning it.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 4-wheel, 28 gallon Rhino tote yesterday and plan to pick it up today. Since we're pulling a TT now, I'll just throw it in the back of the truck when I think we might need it.

When we had the little class A I'd just disconnect the water and electric, bring the slides in, and drive it to the dump station. That's not quite so convenient with a trailer
Old 11-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 4-wheel, 28 gallon Rhino tote yesterday and plan to pick it up today. Since we're pulling a TT now, I'll just throw it in the back of the truck when I think we might need it.

When we had the little class A I'd just disconnect the water and electric, bring the slides in, and drive it to the dump station. That's not quite so convenient with a trailer
Just remember, it s only useful when there is a dump station you can legally tow the tank to. I have the same tank but yet to use it because I have not stayed long enough without hookups but where there is a dump station to make use of.

I may start considering a macerator pump as noted above. That way I can pump into the bed of my truck and extend stays that way.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
Just remember, it s only useful when there is a dump station you can legally tow the tank to. I have the same tank but yet to use it because I have not stayed long enough without hookups but where there is a dump station to make use of.

I may start considering a macerator pump as noted above. That way I can pump into the bed of my truck and extend stays that way.
Yep. We can dump at home, so I have actually pulled it a short distance home to avoid the dump station queue.

We're starting to go to COE parks a lot more, and many of them have dump stations but no sewer at the sites.

My wife goes often without me to her Sisters on the Fly outings, but being the only person in the RV she can go for days with no problem When we're camping together, we're only good for maybe four days. At any rate, the only time I'll bother even throwing it in the truck will be when we're together and planning to stay a few days.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:

We are rarely stay in a place long enough to need to dump. With my new tow vehicle I had a place to mount a 60 gallon waste tank and bought a macerator for the first time.

I was unsure how I would feel about using the macerator, but it is quick, easy and very handy.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 4-wheel, 28 gallon Rhino tote yesterday and plan to pick it up today.
I think you made a great choice. It's a great design and size. Pros are the large rear wheels, top loading and side dumping, gate valve on dump outlet, front wheels, vent hose on top instead of just a prone-to-leak vent hole, sturdy metal handle with strong steel fitting end for trailer ball.
Only con I can see is trying to maneuver and pull a full tank of ~250+# with the small round end that is definitely not designed to fit a human hand comfortably. Fortunately, that can be fixed with an aftermarket assist handle like the one pictured below.
A better handle design is on the 18 and 35 gallon Thetford SmartTote2 floater toters also pictured below.
... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211127-131456.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	349942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210408_194553652.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	349943
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:

We spent this last summer dry camping in several USFS campgrounds between Estes Park and Blackhawk along the Peak-to-Peak Highway. There was no electricity, water required driving to a hydrant requiring the use of a Water Bandit and dumping required driving 5 to 12 miles to a commercial campground dump station.
No fun spending at least half a day breaking camp in a 44' Class A with 4 slides, driving mountain roads crowded with rookie mountain drivers to a dump station to pay $35 to dump then reversing the process. After doing that once I got my floater toter out of storage and bought a macerator pump.
I dumped my tanks into the tote, dragged it from the water bay to the trailer hitch ball on the toad, drove to the nearest vault toilets, hooked the pump to the tote, ran a 5/8" hose from the pump outlet to the closest commode and pumped the tote dry in just a few minutes. Did that 2 or 3 times, usually on a Sunday or Monday afternoon when the campground was pretty much empty.
We do not care for commercial campgrounds. We much prefer beautiful forested mountain campgrounds full of wildlife. Nightly rates of $8 to $11.50 with the old fart's card are a bonus. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210713_165151707.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	349947Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210703_164355521_HDR.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	349948Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211004_184344495.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	349949
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
We spent this last summer dry camping in several USFS campgrounds between Estes Park and Blackhawk along the Peak-to-Peak Highway. There was no electricity, water required driving to a hydrant requiring the use of a Water Bandit and dumping required driving 5 to 12 miles to a commercial campground dump station.
No fun spending at least half a day breaking camp in a 44' Class A with 4 slides, driving mountain roads crowded with rookie mountain drivers to a dump station to pay $35 to dump then reversing the process. After doing that once I got my floater toter out of storage and bought a macerator pump.
I dumped my tanks into the tote, dragged it from the water bay to the trailer hitch ball on the toad, drove to the nearest vault toilets, hooked the pump to the tote, ran a 5/8" hose from the pump outlet to the closest commode and pumped the tote dry in just a few minutes. Did that 2 or 3 times, usually on a Sunday or Monday afternoon when the campground was pretty much empty.
We do not care for commercial campgrounds. We much prefer beautiful forested mountain campgrounds full of wildlife. Nightly rates of $8 to $11.50 with the old fart's card are a bonus. Attachment 349947Attachment 349948Attachment 349949
That works too!

My point was just realizing that just because you have it, it doesn't make it useful all the time.

Tags
led, tank